Fatty Taylor

ABA-related discussions

Moderator: Brett

Fatty Taylor

Postby rlee » Mon May 24, 2010 10:48 pm

rlee
President

Postby mtamada » Tue May 25, 2010 12:49 am

That's a wonderful interview. Lots of standout stories, but these two especially:
So, the first day of class, I’m the only black in the classroom. The professor is lecturing, and the students are jotting down notes. I had no idea what to write down. I’d never taken a note in my life. So, right after class, I walked up to students who looked like they knew what they were doing and asked if I could borrow their notes. I’d read through them and hand them back at lunchtime. I’d do that after all of my classes.

The point being, you weren’t cheating; you were learning how to listen to the professor and take notes.

Right. I would copy their notes and notice how they highlighted certain things. The next class, I’d ask somebody else for their notes. To make a long story short, after a good little while, I figured out how to take notes. And that helped me think like a student. After the first semester, I’d learned something about myself. If I had adequate notes and studied, I could pass any test. I finished the semester with close to a B average. I would get out of class and run home to the church to study. I’d study all day.

A whole lot of students could learn a whole lot just from that passage. About the only thing that he missed was that in an ideal situation, he wouldn't have had to study alone, he'd have been able to join a study group. (But, being one of what sounds like a very tiny number of Black students on campus, that might not've been easy.)

The other story that really stood out was how even great players such as Elgin Baylor, Dave Bing, and John Tresvant intentionally repeated a grade in school so they could essentially redshirt and come back older and stronger next year. I'd thought that was a recent phenomenon (not so much the intentional repeating, but one reads stories nowadays about parents waiting a year to send their kid to first grade, to give him an athletic advantage). But it sounds like that was not an uncommon practice then -- common enough that the high school authorities evidently stepped in and banned it.
mtamada

Postby Bob Kuska » Tue May 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks, MIke. I put together the Fatty Taylor Q & A last year. There are so many great stories to be told. We just have to design the projects, form teams of researchers, and go out and gather the stories.
Bob Kuska

Postby aabdho1 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks for the posting.... I remember Fatty when he played w/ Denver... great defensive guard & a class player.... real good Q&A

Al
aabdho1

Re: Fatty Taylor

Postby rlee » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:25 am

rlee
President

Return to The ABA