Boone talks about his life in the game

ABA-related discussions

Moderator: Brett

Postby rlee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:55 am

by Jenniffer Wardell
Davis County Clipper

BOUNTIFUL — In the highly competitive world of professional sports, longevity can sometimes be the biggest accomplishment there is.

Ron Boone, one of the voices behind Utah Jazz broadcasts for the last 20 years, also spent 13 years as a player for various NBA and American Basketball Association (ABA) teams such as the Utah Jazz and Stars. During that period he played 1,041 consecutive games, a league record at the time, and has never missed a game in the entirety of his broadcasting career.

“I’ve been blessed,” said Boone, who spoke to the Bountiful Rotary during a recent meeting. “I’ve stayed healthy, never had a major injury, and just love the game.”

Boone grew up in Nebraska, and during his high school years played both basketball and baseball. Since he was 5’7” he was only offered scholarships to local junior colleges after graduation, though he surprised everyone with a phenomenal freshman year and a growth spurt of two and a half inches.

Together, his high school and junior college coach worked to get him a slot at the University of Idaho, sight unseen. Though he was also being recruited by the Harlem Stars, a second tier team of the Harlem Globetrotters, he chose the university.

“The best decision I ever made was to go to school,” Boone said. Later, he added with a laugh, “once I was getting potatoes three meals a day, I finally started filling out.”

After college, he was drafted by the ABA’s Dallas Chaparrals and the NBA’s Phoenix Suns, deciding to go with the ABA because it would give him more playing time. He went on to play for Kansas City, Los Angeles, St. Louis, and both the Utah Stars (ABA) and Jazz (NBA). He was part of the 1971 Stars team that went on to win the national championship.

“That team was special,” he remembered. “It’s too bad we couldn’t have taken that team into the NBA.”

His consecutive game streak as a player ended only with his retirement in 1981, and he plans on continuing his streak as a broadcaster until he retires there, too. Still, he said that he’ll be doing more radio and less TV coverage next season.

“I’m looking to one day retire to those golf courses,” he said with a laugh. Though TV ratings remain strong, radio ratings have been down since Hot Rod Hundley’s retirement. “Hopefully I’ll be able to give the broadcasts some flavor.”

He offered a brief analysis of the team he’s been watching for the last two decades, who will start camp later this week. He explained that the Jazz’s game has always been built around the point guard and power forward, and he was concerned about the team after the departure of Carlos Boozer.

“I was worried about whether we would be able to get as good a product on the floor,” he said. With Al Jefferson’s arrival, however, he feels that things are looking up. “He’ll compliment the Jazz’s system and he wants to be here.

“We don’t look as good on paper as we did last year, but that doesn’t mean a thing. The team is always ready to surprise you.”
rlee
President

Ron Boone Radio Interview

Postby rlee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:30 am

rlee
President

Return to The ABA