Dwaine R. Dillard

ABA-related discussions

Moderator: Brett

Dwaine R. Dillard

Postby John Grasso » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:51 am

I've just completed some research on one of pro basketball's mystery men.
Dwaine R. Dillard is listed in various basketball encyclopedias as
Duane Dillard, no college, unknown birthdate.

He played three games for the Utah Stars in 1974 and scored 4 points.

He's listed as Dave Dillard in one of the encyclopedias.

I did some extensive research using Newspaper Archive and found
the following

His height was reported variously from 6'6" to 6' 8".
His weight was 230.
He played for Omaha Central High School and graduated in 1968
He played for Eastern Michigan in 1968-69 and part of 69-70
and became academically ineligible in Feb. 1970.
He then played for San Jose City College and transferred
to St. Mary's in California in fall of 1970.

He was drafted by the Baltimore Bullets in the April 1972 draft in
the sixth round but was listed as "Wayne Dillard" of Eastern Michigan

He was cut by the Bullets on 10/11/72

He played with the Globetrotters and sometimes with the
Washington Generals in 1974 and 1975.

In 10/75 he was picked up by the Utah Stars but was later
waived by them in November

He later was a baggage handler in Phoenix, Arizona.

He died on 6/25/08.
The SSDI has his birthdate as 3/9/1949.
John Grasso

Postby rlee » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:17 am

Earle Higgins, Kennedy McIntosh & Harvey Marlatt were among his teammates at Eastern Michigan in 1968-69. EMU went 20-9, losing to Eastern New Mexico in the 2nd round of the NAIA tourney.
rlee
President

Postby MCT » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Great detective work, John. I had also noticed the missing/conflicting info on Dillard in reference sources, and have wondered what his story was. Dillard actually played in three games for the Stars during the 1975-76 season. According to the box scores in The Sporting News, he appeared in three consecutive games on 10/31/75, 11/1/75 and 11/2/75. These were the Stars’ third, fourth and fifth games of the season. Here’s what I have on Dillard’s transactions with the Stars:

--Dillard was in training camp with the Stars before the start of the season, but was waived on 10/23/75, as teams made their final cuts and set their rosters for the start of the ABA regular season the next day. On the same day, the Stars also waived Charlie Edge, placed Moses Malone on the injured list, and acquired George Carter off waivers from the defunct Baltimore Claws (Carter had gone unselected in the dispersal draft of Claws players held on 10/21/75).

--Dillard was apparently re-signed by the Stars sometime in the first week of the season, taking the place of Ed Manning (who was apparently waived, without having appeared in any games). I have never found any documentation of either transaction, however.

--On 11/7/75, the Stars waived Dillard and Carter, filling their roster slots by signing Don Washington and Cornelius Cash. (Like Manning, Cash appears to have been waived shortly thereafter, without having appeared in any games. To add insult to injury, Cash had just been waived by the NBA Bucks a few days before the Stars signed him, without playing in any games for them either. As with Manning’s departure from the Stars, I have never found any documentation of Cash being waived, but he was apparently gone prior to the Stars folding in early December.)

Reference sources show Carter playing in 10 games for the Stars, but the team had only played 8 games at the point he was reportedly waived, and the TSN boxes are consistent with this (they show him playing in all 8 games prior to November 7, none thereafter). Conversely, the TSN boxes show Ken Gardner playing in 11 games, but reference sources credit him with only 9 games played. Did Carter get credit for two of Gardner’s games somewhere along the line?
MCT

Postby John Grasso » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:52 pm

MCT wrote:

Reference sources show Carter playing in 10 games for the Stars, but the team had only played 8 games at the point he was reportedly waived, and the TSN boxes are consistent with this (they show him playing in all 8 games prior to November 7, none thereafter). Conversely, the TSN boxes show Ken Gardner playing in 11 games, but reference sources credit him with only 9 games played. Did Carter get credit for two of Gardner’s games somewhere along the line?

That's another of my pet peeves with basketball historical statistics. I've done quite a bit of work with newspaper boxscores, both TSN and NYT and very often the totals that I come up with for points and occasionally games played don't agree with the published totals. I'd love to see an official set of boxscores but doubt that I will in my lifetime.

I've only been successful in this regard once - when I pointed out that Thomas F.X. Smith who is listed in many of the early encyclopedias as having played 1 game for the 1951-52 Knicks actually did not play in the regular season but his published totals were recorded in a preseason exhibition game. Total Basketball does not include him and the NBA Guide stopped including him. Basketball-Reference.com no longer includes him although the other basketballreference still does.
John Grasso

Return to The ABA