George Gervin is the Spurs all-time scoring leader

ABA-related discussions

Moderator: Brett

George Gervin is the Spurs all-time scoring leader

Postby rlee » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:02 pm

by Don Harris
WOAL.com

SAN ANTONIO - Congratulations to Tim Duncan for moving past George Gervin on the all-time NBA leading scoring list.

While it's true Tim passed Ice on the NBA's all time list, we need to clear something up. George Gervin is the Spurs all-time leading scorer. Period.

During the game Wednesday night, Spurs Broadcasting showed a graphic of the Spurs all-time leading scorers. They had David Robinson at 1, Tim Duncan now 2 and Iceman in 3rd. That’s incorrect.

Gervin scored 23,602 points while wearing a Spurs uniform in the NBA, but he also had thousands of ABA points. So if the list is Spurs franchise leading scorers, it should include NBA and ABA combined points because the franchise was here long before the NBA was here.

When I was 12 years old, I used to study the Spurs record book. I know, geeky, but they were my team -- and I knew my stuff. The danger is that some 12-year-old kid saw that graphic and believes it. That kid needs to know that Tim Duncan is the greatest Spur of all time, and that none of the four banners would be there without him. He also needs to know that David Robinson was an all-time great who saved this franchise, and that the Spurs wouldn't here if it weren't for Five-O. But he should also know there would have never been the Spurs in the NBA if not for George Gervin and the ABA.

George Gervin can't be left out. If you saw Ice play, you know he's not the 33rd best scorer of all time like the NBA record book shows. He's 13th. Dr. J? Julius Erving? 55th on the NBA list? In reality, he’s 50 spots higher -- 5th all time NBA/ABA combined.

So long live the Iceman, the red, white and blue basketball and the ABA. As for the NBA record book, it's in the fiction section.

That's my point. Lets hear yours right below in the comments section.
rlee
President

Postby Mike Goodman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Duncan has 20,749 regular season points and 3914 playoff points, for a total of 24,663.
Gervin had 23,602 RS + 2130 PO = 25,372.

The difference is 1069 points.
Currently averaging (career low) 15.4 points per game, at this rate Tim will catch Ice in 70 more games played -- near the end of this season, if he doesn't miss games.
`
36% of all statistics are wrong
Mike Goodman

Postby kovit123 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:03 am

In reality of the ABA/NBA combined career points in franchise history of the San Antonio Spurs George "The Iceman" Gervin is no.1, Tim Duncan is no.2 and David Robinson is no. 3.
kovit123

Return to The ABA