Which papers covered pre-85 NBA seasons (research help)?

For all non-specific NBA-related discussion

Which papers covered pre-85 NBA seasons (research help)?

Postby fpliii » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Which papers covered every pre-85 season and what was the extent of the coverage (basic or full box score, beat or wire story)?

Anything helps, we're going through different papers on newspaperarchive.com right now and dumping archives for teams' seasons.

Thanks!

EDIT: Normally I'd put this in the information requests subforum, but it'd be nice to put together a somewhat definitive database for reference as well.
fpliii
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Which papers covered pre-85 NBA seasons (research help)?

Postby Jon Scott » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Not sure exactly what you're asking. Can you be more specific as to what teams / seasons you are having trouble finding?

Newspaper Archive is good for small towns (if it's one of the newspapers they have) but they don't really cover many of the large dailies. I would assume the best source for a pro team is going to be whatever the major daily is in the city of interest.

FYI, one good source of seeing what the major newspapers might be in a particular city/state during a particular time period can be found on the Library of Congress website, where they list their microfilm holdings. The information is not complete and it's not currently updated but it's still a good resource. Even better if you're near Washington DC and can access the film in one spot.

Library of Congress Microfilm Holdings (1940-1989)
Jon Scott
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:16 am
Location: Philadelphia Area

Re: Which papers covered pre-85 NBA seasons (research help)?

Postby fpliii » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:49 am

Jon Scott wrote:Not sure exactly what you're asking. Can you be more specific as to what teams / seasons you are having trouble finding?

Newspaper Archive is good for small towns (if it's one of the newspapers they have) but they don't really cover many of the large dailies. I would assume the best source for a pro team is going to be whatever the major daily is in the city of interest.

FYI, one good source of seeing what the major newspapers might be in a particular city/state during a particular time period can be found on the Library of Congress website, where they list their microfilm holdings. The information is not complete and it's not currently updated but it's still a good resource. Even better if you're near Washington DC and can access the film in one spot.

Library of Congress Microfilm Holdings (1940-1989)


Thanks for the response. We've covered most of the larger cities (Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Washington, Boston) thanks to ProQuest, but some cities are troublesome. In particular, we have basically nothing on the Hawks during their time in St. Louis (though there are others, this is the biggest hole in our data). Rochester (Royals era) is another city that we're having problems with. Cincinnati, San Francisco, and Philadelphia are also pretty important.

I'm currently in NYC so there is likely a large volume of microfilm available, but I want to exhaust all other avenues before delving into research at the library.
fpliii
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Which papers covered pre-85 NBA seasons (research help)?

Postby rlee » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Cincinnati: Enquirer, Post Times-Star

St Louis: Post-Dispatch, Globe-Democrat

Philadelphia: Inquirer, Bulletin, Daily News

San Francisco: Chronicle, Examiner
rlee
President
 
Posts: 6945
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:42 pm
Location: sacramento

Re: Which papers covered pre-85 NBA seasons (research help)?

Postby fpliii » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:13 pm

rlee wrote:Cincinnati: Enquirer, Post Times-Star

St Louis: Post-Dispatch, Globe-Democrat

Philadelphia: Inquirer, Bulletin, Daily News

San Francisco: Chronicle, Examiner


Thank you very much. :)
fpliii
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Which papers covered pre-85 NBA seasons (research help)?

Postby rlee » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:44 am

Morning Rochester Democrat & Chronicle and afternoon Rochester Times-Union covered the Royals with articles, box scores, columns, pictures, and cartoons.
rlee
President
 
Posts: 6945
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:42 pm
Location: sacramento

Re: Which papers covered pre-85 NBA seasons (research help)?

Postby fpliii » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 pm

rlee wrote:Morning Rochester Democrat & Chronicle and afternoon Rochester Times-Union covered the Royals with articles, box scores, columns, pictures, and cartoons.


Thanks again.
fpliii
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Which papers covered pre-85 NBA seasons (research help)?

Postby pdevos » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:37 pm

fpliii wrote: EDIT: Normally I'd put this in the information requests subforum, but it'd be nice to put together a somewhat definitive database for reference as well.


Can you or someone help point me to this "information" forum? thanks.
https://twitter.com/PaulDeVos7
https://www.linkedin.com/in/devosp/
pdevos
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:47 pm
Location: Allen, TX

Re: Which papers covered pre-85 NBA seasons (research help)?

Postby rlee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:13 am

rlee
President
 
Posts: 6945
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:42 pm
Location: sacramento


Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron