new names

For all non-specific NBA-related discussion

Re: Swen Langeberg

Postby MCT » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:34 pm

rlee wrote:Sorry for the earlier typo on his birth name.

Apparently Swen was still Langeberg while in h.s.:

http://www.wilsonhighreunion.com/Notable_Classmates.htm

I've heard maybe JC as well.

Nater's entries in 1980s NBA Registers state "Known as Sven Langeberg at Cypress College."
MCT

Re: new names

Postby Robert Bradley » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:22 am

Mike Goodman wrote:
Mike Goodman wrote:Artest is just 32, and he started all 91 Laker games last year. Why might he not play again? ..

Self-correction: Artest played in just 3 of 4 playoff games vs Dallas. Suspension, I believe.

And has he suggested he may be done playing in the NBA?

His level of play certainly suggests it Mike, he's just not taking the hint!
Last edited by Robert Bradley on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of THE BASKETBALL DRAFT FACT BOOK: A HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL'S COLLEGE DRAFTS
Available at https://Rowman.com

Robert Bradley's Pro Basketball History Revisited Blog
http://apbrbasketball.blogspot.com/
Robert Bradley
Emeritus

Postby luckyshow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Bill Mlkvy (Warriors 1952-53, Temple U.), who was known as the "player with out a vowel" during college days, had a vowel originally; was Bill Milkvy in high school (Palmerton).
luckyshow

Postby Mike Goodman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 pm

At Temple, the Owl without a vowel.
`
36% of all statistics are wrong
Mike Goodman

Postby John Grasso » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:29 pm

I just discovered that Bob Blue who played briefly in the ABL with the Los Angeles Jets
was known as Bobby Odom when he played at Jordan H.S. in Los Angeles in the mid 1950s.
John Grasso

Postby jhogrogi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 am

Morris "Ace" Goldstein played in the ABL in the late 1930s and the early 1940s. One summer during WWII, he changed his family name legally to Abbott. He played a few years as Ace Abbott, notably with the Baltimore Bullets.
jhogrogi

Postby John Grasso » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:11 am

I just discovered an addition to this list.
Milton "J.R." Henderson changed his name to J.R. Sakuragi in 2007 in order to become a Japanese citizen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._Sakuragi
John Grasso

Postby tpakrac » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Michael Gilchrist: Charlotte Bobcats rookie Michael Kidd-Gilchrist legally changed his last name to Kidd-Gilchrist, to honor his uncle Darrin Kidd who died on the day Gilchrist was set to sign his letter of intent to play at the University of Kentucky. Kidd-Gilchrist announced this change via Twitter on July 7, 2011.
tpakrac

Postby rlee » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:35 pm

JR Henderson has become JR Sakuragi:

http://tinyurl.com/mbqujj9
rlee
President

Jeff Pendergraph becomes Jeff Ayres

Postby rlee » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:51 pm

(RL note: He signed w/ Spurs as a free agent. Wish he had joined them in a trade - then the Spurs would have traded for the proverbial "player to be named later.")

By Jeff McDonald
ExpressNews.com
http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/a ... cf927fc3fb

James White #4 of the New York Knicks fouls Jeff Pendergraph #29 of the Indiana Pacers in the fourth quarter at Madison Square Garden on November 18, 2012 in New York City. (Bruce Bennett / Getty Images)

In July, the Spurs signed a free-agent forward named Jeff Pendergraph to a two-year contract.

No player by that name will ever appear in a Spurs uniform.

Last month, Pendergraph walked into a courthouse in downtown Phoenix, his wife Raneem and newborn daughter Naomi in tow.

He walked out with a new name — Jeff Ayres.

Ayres is the family name of his biological father, James. It replaces the surname of a stepfather who hasn't been in the picture since the player formerly known as Jeff Pendergraph was in high school.

For the 26-year-old veteran of three NBA seasons, the journey from Pendergraph to Ayres was in some ways as simple as filling out a thick stack of paperwork and filing it with an Arizona judge.

It also was a complicated decision with a complex back story, one that tests the traditional definitions of blood and family.

“I didn't know who my dad was until I was a senior in high school,” Jeff Ayres said Wednesday, during a break from pickup games at the Spurs' practice gym.

He was born Jeff Orcutt, using his mother LaDona's maiden name, and became Pendergraph in elementary school when she married.

Growing up in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., 45 miles east of Los Angeles, the future Jeff Ayres dreamed his biological father was someone famous, such as Denzel Washington or Shaquille O'Neal.

A doctor. A musician. Somebody who was somebody.

“It turns out it was a mechanic named James,” Ayres said.

There wasn't much of a relationship between father and son. Not at first. James Ayres never attended Jeff's games in high school, nor in college at Arizona State.

By then, the son had outgrown the Pendergraph name — “That's not my blood,” he said — but changing it seemed impractical.

“In high school and recruiting, that's how everybody knew me, as Pendergraph,” Ayres said. “I didn't want to change it, because then people wouldn't know who I was. It stuck.”

It stuck through three NBA seasons, two with Portland and one with Indiana, where last season the 6-foot-9 reserve forward appeared in 37 games for the Eastern Conference finalists.

It wasn't until Ayres' daughter was born in June that he began to contemplate that old, Shakespearian question: What's in a name?

Ayres saw no need for Naomi to carry a name he felt no connection to himself. He didn't want her to grow up with questions about the Pendergraphs.

Not wanting to switch back to Orcutt, the soon-to-be-former Jeff Pendergraph and his wife contemplated starting from scratch with a completely new moniker.

They joked about legally dubbing themselves “Mr. and Mrs. Awesome.”

“Then I thought, I bet my dad would love it if I took his name,” Ayres said. “As a son, that's kind of the idea. You're supposed to take your dad's name.”

Ayres admits the transition hasn't been seamless. He has discovered, for example, that it takes more than just a phone call to change a name on a driver license, Social Security card or bank account.

Meanwhile, his impressive collection of surname-specific nicknames — “Pendy,” “Pendersmash,” “Pendamonium” — are now useless.

On the bright side: Signing autographs should require less of his time from now on.

“It's so much shorter,” Ayres said. “Just five letters.”

Ayres' best moment since his name change, the moment that made the switch seem at last tangible, came last week at the Spurs' practice facility, when he walked into the team dressing room for the first time.

There, stenciled above a new locker in a new town, was his new name.

“That was pretty cool,” Ayres said. “I took a picture and sent it to my dad.”

Jeff and James Ayres have a relationship now. They are bonded by a last name, related both legally and biologically.

They exchange text messages weekly. And last month, when the player still known as Pendergraph arrived at that Phoenix courthouse to rename himself, James Ayres drove from California to accompany him.

So, what's in a name? A new Spurs forward named Jeff Ayres thinks he knows.

“It's nothing personal,” he said. “It's just family.”
rlee
President

Postby ramays » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:21 pm

A little bit sidetracked, but there's another pre-NBA name change that's often omitted:

Iakovos "Jake" Tsakalidis was born Aleksey (Alexei) Ledkov, then took his mother's surname when he immigrated to Greece (his mother is Greek by origin), and then changed his name when he got his Greek passport (common practice in Greece to change names when acquiring citizenship).

An interview on this matter in Russian:
http://www.sport-express.ru/newspaper/2005-03-15/14_1/
ramays

Postby meej » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:15 am

ramays wrote:(common practice in Greece to change names when acquiring citizenship)

A practice that wreacks havoc with the memories of European fans. Sometimes I am watching an old Euroleague game and find myself wondering who that "Makris" is and why does he look so much like Nesterovic.
meej

Postby rlee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:47 am

rlee
President

Previous

Return to General Discussions