1964 USA All-Star team in Croatia

For all non-specific NBA-related discussion

1964 USA All-Star team in Croatia

Postby tpakrac » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:05 pm

Renowned Croatian sports photographer Radisa Mladenovic took these spectacular photos in June 1964:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQdVf_bVx_w

USA All-Star team (Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Bob Pettit, Jerry Lucas, Tom Heinsohn, K.C. Jones, Tom Gola and the recently retired Bob Cousy, then coaching at college) coached by Red Auerbach played two games in Croatia, one in Zagreb and one in Karlovac. In former Yugoslavia they also played in Belgrade, Serbia and Ljubljana, Slovenia.

John Feinstein's phenomenal book about Red Auerbach called Let Me Tell You a Story has almost an entire chapter about this (pages 113-123). Page 114:

"In 1964 Red got a call from Nick Robis, an old friend who had gone to Harvard with Bobby Kennedy and was working at the State Department. A tour had been proposed for an NBA team to Poland, Romania, Egypt, and Yugoslavia. Poland and Yugoslavia were especially significant since American athletes had traveled very rarely behind Iron Curtain, especially on goodwill tours."

If you have any info from American newspapers about this tour, especially Boston Globe, please post them here. I have several articles about this but I would like to have more. I am writing a huge story about this.

Also, recent book about Bill Russell by Aram Goudsouzian talks about this overseas tour. Bob Pettit also talks about it in his book published in mid '60s, but I'm not sure to what extent.
tpakrac

Re: 1964 USA All-Star team in Croatia

Postby usausa » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Give me some time, I have access to many US papers from that time...I'll see if I can find anything.
usausa

Postby Robert Bradley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:06 pm

I would love to see dates & results from the games -

1964 U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT EUROPEAN TOUR
Roster - Red Auerbach, BOS [Coach]; Buddy LeRoux, BOS [Trainer]; Bob Cousy, BOS; Tom Gola, PHI; Tommy Heinsohn, BOS; K.C. Jones, BOS; Jerry Lucas, CIN; Bob Pettit, STL; Oscar Robertson, CIN; Bill Russell, BOS
Author of THE BASKETBALL DRAFT FACT BOOK: A HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL'S COLLEGE DRAFTS
Available at https://Rowman.com

Robert Bradley's Pro Basketball History Revisited Blog
http://apbrbasketball.blogspot.com/
Robert Bradley
Emeritus

Postby usausa » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:02 am

Here is one I found so far, I am trying to find individual results:
The Times Recorder, June 9, 1964
Bob Cousy Tells About Cage Tour
BOSTON (UPI) – Retired Boston Celtics star Bob Cousy led the first of a touring U.S. professional basketball squad home Monday from a 21-game exhibition in Poland, Rumania, Yugoslavia, and Egypt.
Cousy reported that the U.S. squad not only never lost a game on the State Department sponsored tour but never won by less than 20 points – and this despite considerable differences in foreign rules.
Other than some horseplay among American players, the squad was not involved in any incidents during the tour though some of the games in Yugoslavia were the roughest Cousy said he had played in “since we used to bounce guys off walls back in P.S. 36.”
“We had been briefed to expect some questions on civil rights but I for one was never asked any. We weren’t trying to prove anything other than that American professionals can play better basketball than our amateur teams that have gone over there.”
Cousy said the tour earned thousands of dollars, perhaps as much as $30,000 per game, for the basketball federations in the various countries but declined to speculate on whether those funds might eventually be used to help beat U.S. Olympic teams.
Others taking part in the tour were Celtics’ Coach Red Auerbach and Boston players Bill Russell, Tom Heinsohn, and K.C. Jones, Bob Pettit of St. Louis, Tom Gola of New York, Jerry Lucas and Oscar Robinson of Cincinnati, and trainer Buddy Le Roux of Boston.
usausa

Postby Robert Bradley » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:26 am

could you imagine trying to raise a team for a 21-game exhibition tour during the offseason nowadays?
Author of THE BASKETBALL DRAFT FACT BOOK: A HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL'S COLLEGE DRAFTS

Robert Bradley
Emeritus

Postby usausa » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:42 am

The only article about a game I can find so far:
Pacific Stars and Stripes May 7, 1964
U.S. Pros Crush Poles
WARSAW (AP) – A touring U.S. professional All-Star basketball team outclassed a Warsaw student selection 94-58 Tuesday night for the Americans’ second straight victory in their Eastern European campaign.
The Americans led 42-37 at halftime.
Jerry Lucas of the Cincinnati Royals dumped in 36 points to lead individual scoring.
A crowd of 4,000 in Warsaw’s Gwrdia Hall saw the All-Stars toy with the poles in the first half then pull far ahead.
The All-Stars, coached by Red Auerbach of the Boston Celtics, will play in Poland, Romania, Yugoslavia, and Egypt.
The All-Stars had also hoped to appear in Russia but the Soviet Union refused to admit the team. U.S. officials speculated the Russians might be afraid of the superiority of the U.S. professionals.
Meanwhile, a touring team of U.S. amateur players – including five of the U.S. Olympic team members did go behind the Iron Curtain to Russia, but lost most of their games against Russian and Polish teams.
On the pro squad are Bill Russell, K.C. Jones, and Ton Heinsohn of the Celtics; Bob Pettit of the St. Louis Hawks; Lucas and Oscar Robinson of the Cincinnati Royals; Tom Gola of the New York Knicks and Bob Cousy, former Celtics’ star now coaching at Boston College.
usausa

Postby tpakrac » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Robert Bradley wrote:I would love to see dates & results from the games -

1964 U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT EUROPEAN TOUR
Roster - Red Auerbach, BOS [Coach]; Buddy LeRoux, BOS [Trainer]; Bob Cousy, BOS; Tom Gola, PHI; Tommy Heinsohn, BOS; K.C. Jones, BOS; Jerry Lucas, CIN; Bob Pettit, STL; Oscar Robertson, CIN; Bill Russell, BOS

Robert, I'm afraid it will be impossible to find all dates and results. One article said they played 22 games, other article said 21.

So far I have only result from a game played in Belgrade, Serbia (May 27, 1964, I believe). USA team won 98-51, in front of 8000 spectators. Next week I should receive book published in Croatia in 2004 about this tour. Then I'll know more.

usausa, thanks a lot for the articles.
tpakrac

Postby tpakrac » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Aram Goudsouzian's book, great info about 1964 tour:

http://books.google.hr/books?id=d9Yj--S ... &q&f=false
tpakrac

Postby maltomek46 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Here are the basic informations about all five games played by 1964 USA All-Star team in Poland.

GAME 1 - 4 May 1964, Warszawa, hall of Gwardia Warszawa
All-Stars 96, Legia Warszawa 76

All-Stars
Tom Heinsohn 24
Bob Pettit 18
Oscar Robertson 16
Bill Russell 15
Jerry Lucas 8
Tom Gola 8
Bob Cousy 4
K.C. Jones 3

Legia Warszawa
Janusz Wichowski 24
Jerzy Piskun* 22
Andrzej Pstrokonski 11
Tadeusz Suski 10
Stanislaw Olejniczak 9
Legia Warszawa's Head Coach - Wladyslaw Maleszewski

Referees - Wladyslaw Twardo, Jan Jarzebinski
Halftime Score - All-Stars 41, Legia Warszawa 29
*Jerzy Piskun was the player of Polonia Warszawa at this time

GAME 2 - 5 May 1964, Warszawa, hall of Gwardia Warszawa
All-Stars 94, AZS AWF Warszawa 58

All-Stars
Jerry Lucas 38
Bob Pettit 22
Tom Heinsohn 12
Oscar Robertson 6
Bill Russell 6
Bob Cousy 4
K.C. Jones 4
Tom Gola 2

AZS AWF Warszawa
Marek Sitkowski 16
Jerzy Piskun* 13
Andrzej Nartowski 11
Andrzej Perka 8
Tadeusz Blauth 6
Boleslaw Kwiatkowski 4
Aleksander Ronikier 0
AZS AWF Warszawa's Head Coach - Zygmunt Olesiewicz

Referees - Mieczyslaw Klimaj, Andrzej Bednarski
Halftime Score - All-Stars 42, AZS AWF Warszawa 37
*Jerzy Piskun was the player of Polonia Warszawa at this time

GAME 3 - 7 May 1964, Wroclaw, Hala Ludowa
All-Stars 110, Slask Wroclaw 68

All-Stars
Oscar Robertson 25
Tom Heinsohn 22
Jerry Lucas 21
Bob Pettit 15
Bill Russell 13
K.C. Jones 6
Bob Cousy 4
Tom Gola 4

Slask Wroclaw
Mieczyslaw Lopatka 28
Kazimierz Frelkiewicz 14
Zenon Matysik 8
Wojciech Szczecinski 8
Edward Grzywna 6
Jerzy Swiatek 4
Slask Wroclaw 's Head Coach - Ryszard Stasik

Referees - Mieczyslaw Korwin, Jozef Kotlarek
Halftime Score - All-Stars 51, Slask Wroclaw 23
Attendance: 7000

GAME 4 - 9 May 1964, Krakow, hall of Wisla Krakow
All-Stars 117, Wisla Krakow 70

All-Stars
Bob Pettit 32
Oscar Robertson 22
Jerry Lucas 20
Tom Heinsohn 18
Bill Russell 13
Bob Cousy 6
K.C. Jones 4
Tom Gola 2

Wisla Krakow
Bohdan Likszo 26
Wieslaw Langiewicz 14
Czeslaw Malec 14
Krystian Czernichowski 10
Ryszard Niewodowski 6
Tadeusz Pacula 0
Jan Piotrowski 0
Wisla Krakow's Head Coach - Jan Mikulowski

Referees - Marek Paszucha, Czeslaw Stawarz
Halftime Score - All-Stars 56, Wisla Krakow 28
Attendance: 4000

GAME 5 - 12 May 1964, Gdansk, hall of Akademicki Osrodek Sportowy
All-Stars 117, Wybrzeze Gdansk 71

All-Stars
Bob Pettit 32
Tom Heinsohn 20
Bill Russell 19
Oscar Robertson 18
Jerry Lucas 16
Tom Gola 6
Bob Cousy 5
K.C. Jones 1

Wybrzeze Gdansk
Zygmunt Wysocki 28
Jerzy Mlynarczyk 15
Zbigniew Dregier 14
Wladyslaw Czarnowski 8
Andrzej Jezierski 4
Edmund Gostomski 2
Eugeniusz Stachowski 0
Wybrzeze Gdansk's Head Coach - Jan Rudelski

Referees - Zygmunt Szmelter, Wojciech Mlodkowski
Halftime Score - All-Stars 57, Wybrzeze Gdansk 32
Attendance: 1200
maltomek46

Postby Legend » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:32 am

Arnold "Red" Auerbach wrote about the European tour in his book "Winning the Hard Way" (Little, Brown & Company, 1966).

The U.S. national selection had been defeated in the Rio de Janeiro World Championship in 1963 and during the Cold War the U.S. President Lyndon Johnson asked the State Department's Inter-Agengy on Iternational Athletics to do something to restore american basketball image. So, Nick Rodis, chairman of the agency, contacted Auerbach and asked him to take a team of eight All Stars behing the Iron Curtain and play games in Poland, Rumania, Yugoslavia and maybe Egypt and Soviet Union.

Auerbach selected Bill Russell, Tom Heinsohn, K.C. Jones, Oscar Robertson, Jerry Lucas, Bob Pettit, Tom Gola and the retired Bob Cousy. The Russians looked at the squad and decided not to play against the pros.

The tour opened in May in Warsaw without Auerbach who was still in the USA to attend the NBA draft and Cousy handled the squad in a couple of wins over the Polish by 20 and by 28. Then the coach joined the team in Krakow and discovered that the Poles weren't too impressed with the brand of basketball the U.S. Stars had played so far. So he pushed the players and the U.S. won by 49. The fourth fame was won by a score of 110-66 (all forty minutes games)

After Poland the team swept through Rumania and won easily even without Russell who was saddled by "a combination of illness and homesickness". Then it was the turn of Egypt and finally back to Europe in Yugoslavia.

Auerbach reports a win by 32 in a "rough bruising game" "marred" by the fact that Yugoslavian had not presented the U.S. team with the "Old Glory", while the local flag was waving.

The next night the U.S. team could see that "the flag was still there" and happily pounded the Yugoslavians by 52.

Auerbach did not write more about the rest of the games, though. But in the book there are some tasty anecdotes... the faked arrest of Heinsohn in Poland, the "flag fight in Yugoslavia".

In "Let Me Tell You A Story" there is a mistake too: Feinstein and Auerbach talk about the Yugoslav star "six-eight redhead named Belov". Of course the Yugoslav star (ejected from one game for kicking the ball into the stands) was the great Radivoje Korac.
Legend

Postby tpakrac » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Legend wrote:Arnold "Red" Auerbach wrote about the European tour in his book "Winning the Hard Way" (Little, Brown & Company, 1966).

The U.S. national selection had been defeated in the Rio de Janeiro World Championship in 1963 and during the Cold War the U.S. President Lyndon Johnson asked the State Department's Inter-Agengy on Iternational Athletics to do something to restore american basketball image. So, Nick Rodis, chairman of the agency, contacted Auerbach and asked him to take a team of eight All Stars behing the Iron Curtain and play games in Poland, Rumania, Yugoslavia and maybe Egypt and Soviet Union.

Auerbach selected Bill Russell, Tom Heinsohn, K.C. Jones, Oscar Robertson, Jerry Lucas, Bob Pettit, Tom Gola and the retired Bob Cousy. The Russians looked at the squad and decided not to play against the pros.

The tour opened in May in Warsaw without Auerbach who was still in the USA to attend the NBA draft and Cousy handled the squad in a couple of wins over the Polish by 20 and by 28. Then the coach joined the team in Krakow and discovered that the Poles weren't too impressed with the brand of basketball the U.S. Stars had played so far. So he pushed the players and the U.S. won by 49. The fourth fame was won by a score of 110-66 (all forty minutes games)

After Poland the team swept through Rumania and won easily even without Russell who was saddled by "a combination of illness and homesickness". Then it was the turn of Egypt and finally back to Europe in Yugoslavia.

Auerbach reports a win by 32 in a "rough bruising game" "marred" by the fact that Yugoslavian had not presented the U.S. team with the "Old Glory", while the local flag was waving.

The next night the U.S. team could see that "the flag was still there" and happily pounded the Yugoslavians by 52.

Auerbach did not write more about the rest of the games, though. But in the book there are some tasty anecdotes... the faked arrest of Heinsohn in Poland, the "flag fight in Yugoslavia".

In "Let Me Tell You A Story" there is a mistake too: Feinstein and Auerbach talk about the Yugoslav star "six-eight redhead named Belov". Of course the Yugoslav star (ejected from one game for kicking the ball into the stands) was the great Radivoje Korac.

Thanks a lot, great info. "Winning the Hard Way" is on my to buy list.
You are correct, in "Let Me Tell You a Story" it is a mistake regarding Belov but Aram Goudsouzian wrote in his book about Russell that it was a mistake and that the aforementioned player was Radivoj Korac, as you said it.
tpakrac

Postby Jerry11 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks for posting video and info. A team and tour many have forgotten about.
Jerry11

Postby Robert Bradley » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:25 pm

great information guys. nice work.

Robert Bradley
Emeritus

Postby cc2305 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:03 pm

The games played in former Yugoslavia by this “Dream Team” (as it has been recalled in Oscar Robertson article viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5798) were commemorated in two links I found some time ago. Both are from Croatian sites, so I guess, and unfortunately in local language. They report, among others, results and box scores of two games played in Belgrade and two in Zagreb and Karlovac, today’s Croatia. A fifth and final game scheduled in Ljubljana (Slovenia) is mentioned but no result is reported.

Links:
http://crosarka.com/rubrike/kolumne/kos ... koj-118065
https://exyukosarka.wordpress.com/tag/n ... goslaviji/

First two games were played against a Belgrade "all-star" team supplemented by some additional Croat players, like the famed Josip “Pino” Djerdja, who showed up in the second match. Belgrade team played as many as ten Olympic candidates.
Bill Russell and Tom Gola dnp in the second game as both were injured from previous night.

The other two games were played against a Croatia selection, that also included Serbian star player Nemanja Djuric (a starter of Yugoslavia NT) who was serving his military duty in Karlovac. Russell dnp in the Zagreb game, that ended with a margin of “only” 22 pts for the American pros.
Games were attended by big crowds and the small outdoor Karlovac stadium had to be widened for the event.

Second link also has several photos of Karlovac game, which are already known from the first post here. There’s a color picture from Belgrade game too, showing Yugoslav star Radivoj Korac with the ball being guarded by an American player. Caption says it’s Bill Russell, but is obviously wrong, as the US player is KC Jones.

Games box scores, from the mentioned links:

Game 1 – NBA All-Stars – Belgrade 98: 51 (46:23)
Belgrade, May 29, 1964 - Tasmajdan stadium
Attendance 8,500

NBA All-Stars: Bill Russell 4, Bob Pettit 12, Oscar Robertson 31, Bob Cousy 6, Jerry Lucas 26, Tom Heinsohn 11, Tom Gola 8.
Belgrade: Slobodan Gordic 10, Radivoj Korac 20, Trajko Rajkovic 4, Miodrag Nikolic, Milos Bojovic 4, Vladimir Cvetkovic 4, Nemanja Djuric 9, Dragan Kovacic, Dragoslav Raznatovic, Dragutin Cermak, Tihomir Pavlovic.

Game 2 – NBA All-Stars - Belgrade 100:52 (57:30)
Belgrade, May 30, 1964 – Tasmajdan stadium
Attendance: 5,000

NBA All-Stars: Bob Pettit 19, Bob Cousy 25, Oscar Robertson 16, Tom Heinsohn 16, Jerry Lucas 22, KC Jones 2.
Belgrade : Slobodan Gordic 4, Radivoj Korac 16, Nemanja Djuric 8, Miodrag Nikolic, Josip Djerdja 6, Dragan Kovacic 2, Milos Bojovic 2, Vladimir Cvetkovic 4, Ratomir Vicentic, Dragoslav Raznatovic 8, Dragutin Cermak 2, Tihomir Pavlovic.

Game 3 – NBA All-Stars - Croatia 93:71 (55:32)
Zagreb, June 1, 1964 – Salata Center
Attendance: 7-8,000

NBA All-Stars : Bob Pettit 21, Bob Cousy 6, Tom Heinsohn 23, Oscar Robertson 24, Jerry Lucas 18, KC Jones 1, Tom Gola.
Croatia: Boris Lalic 4, Slobodan Kolakovic 2, Marko Ostarcevic 2, Dragan Kovacic 11, Boris Krizan 2, Zeljko Troskot 10, Josip Djerdja 16, Nemanja Djuric 12, Zivko Kasun 8, Petar Skansi 4, Matan Rimac, Mirko Novosel.

Game 4 – NBA All-Stars – Croatia 110:65 (50:31)
Karlovac, June 2, 1964 – Sanac playground
Attendance: 4,200-4,500

NBA All Stars: Oscar Robertson 14, Bob Cousy 16, Bill Russell 10, Jerry Lucas 16, Bob Pettit 18, Tom Heinsohn 26, KC Jones 10, Tom Gola.
(Scorers according to a different source: Oscar Robertson 16, Bob Cousy 14, Bill Russell 12, Jerry Lucas 14, Bob Pettit 18, Tom Heinsohn 26, KC Jones 10)
Croatia: Josip Djerdja 20, Nemanja Djuric 13, Dragan Kovacic 8, Zivko Kasun 3, Boris Krizan 13, Slobodan Kolakovic 2, Marko Ostarcevic 4, Petar Skansi 2, Zeljko Troskot, Stjepan Ledic, Mirko Novosel, Zlatko Kiseljak.
Carlo
cc2305

Postby cc2305 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:55 pm

Some exhibition games were hard fought by host teams and Yugoslavia especially challenged US pros with rough play. One year earlier in Rio, upset-prone Yugoslavia stunned USA (amateur) National Team 75-73, finishing second at the World championship.

Here what Jerry Lucas and Bob Cousy had to say on their experience from the long tour:

"Cage Players in Europe Improved, Lucas Says. CINCINNATI (AP) — European basketball players are getting better, but in Jerry Lucas opinion they are still no match for American professionals.The former Ohio State University All-America returned last weekend from a six week tour of Europe and North Africa with a team of American professlonals. The tour was sponsored by the U.S. State Department and the Boston Celtics Red Auerbach served as coach. "We ran into some pretty darned good players, the Cincinati Royals' star rookie said."Their offense and shoot ability has improved. They're still weak on defense, but they seem to shoot much more like Americans than in the past, don't think I saw a two-handed shot on the whole trip. They're shooting mostly jumpers and they shoot on the move a great deal more than in the past."Incidents happened. The trip was not without incldents, Lucas recalled."The first couple of game over in Yugoslavia were the roughest I played in my life and they almost got out of hand," Jerry said. "Red just talked to them, and told them we were there to help them improve their basketball, not kill each other. After that we had real good enjoyable games." The Americans won all the games of the tour, the lowest margin of victory by 20 points in Poland. Lucas described the Poles as the most eager to learn the Americans' tricks. As far as spectators are concerned, Bill Russell's dunking and Bob Cousy's old magic were most fancied.

Cousy Sees Woes for Olympic Quint. BOSTON (AP) — Bob Cousy returned Monday from a basketball lesson American NBA pros administered behind the Iron Curtain and predicted the U.S. Olympic team "is in for a lot of trouble." The all-time retired backcourt star and Buddy Leroux, trainer of the world champion Boston Celtics, recounted the highlights of the 21 game sweep of contests in Poland, Romania, Yugoslavia and Egypt. "The people in these countries can't believe we don't send our best athletes to the Olympics," Cousy said. "They don't understand the vast difference between our pros and amateurs."That's why this State Department goodwill tour was so gratifying to me. For the first time we proved this point to them graphically about basketball in our country."The United States left a terrible impression after our amateur team got beaten consistently in Russia and Poland earlier this year."I think we were aware of this and consciously tried to make up for that."We played our normal game—no showboating. I think we weren’t backward to make the defeats palatable... "I think our Olympic team which goes to Tokyo this fall is in for a lot of trouble," Cousy said. "For one thing, the rules are different now. The key area fans out at an angle instead the parallel lines we know. The pivot man is almost obsolete under these conditions. "Among other things, the foreign game is much faster."Officials never handle the ball on a violation. You run up the time."The only time a ball is dead is when a foul is called and some games we didn't hear whistle." Cousy added: "We were impressed by several Yugoslav players, they were second to Brazil in the all-world competition."I don't think the Russians have more skill or finesse than the Yugoslavs. They do have bigger men."They can't match our big men in these other countries.They consider me as tall."

Source: European Stars & Stripes, June 10, 1964.
Carlo
cc2305

Postby Mike Goodman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:27 am

The trip was not without incldents, Lucas recalled."The first couple of game over in Yugoslavia were the roughest I played in my life and they almost got out of hand," Jerry said. "Red just talked to them, and told them we were there to help them improve their basketball, not kill each other. After that we had real good enjoyable games."

Too bad Red Auerbach couldn't have been a statesman, ambassador at least. While the US may not be most civilized in every way, in sports we're pretty good.
`
36% of all statistics are wrong
Mike Goodman

Return to General Discussions