Notable annual NBA scouting books/magazines?

For all non-specific NBA-related discussion

Notable annual NBA scouting books/magazines?

Postby fpliii » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:47 am

Already have all of the Rick Barry Scouting Bibles, and Zander Hollander's Complete Handbooks (from 75 though 89). I know Hollander continued into the 90s, and there were 2-3 editions by Jim O'Brien before Hollander became the editor. What else is there though? Any time period is fine (past, present, etc.), just thought it would be useful to make a list.

Criteria (open to changing these):

1) Must be an annual publication.
2) Must provide an in depth breakdown/analysis of teams/players for the upcoming season. Barry and Hollander had extensive sections on each player, so that's the standard.

[Note: Deleted original post on Information Request board since this thread might be more appropriate here]

EDIT: Title was messed up, stupid auto-fill...
Last edited by fpliii on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
fpliii

Re: No

Postby meej » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:36 am

The latest Hollander book I own is for 1998.

I also have a few issues of a booklet titled "Basketball Stars of" and then the year, which was late sixties to early seventies. Not nearly as detailed as Hollander's as it does not list every single player, it just includes profiles for half a dozen major stars and then covers each team in a few pages. Edited by Pyramid Books and attributed to Berry Stainback and later Louis Sabin.
meej

Re: No

Postby fpliii » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:06 am

meej wrote:The latest Hollander book I own is for 1998.

I also have a few issues of a booklet titled "Basketball Stars of" and then the year, which was late sixties to early seventies. Not nearly as detailed as Hollander's as it does not list every single player, it just includes profiles for half a dozen major stars and then covers each team in a few pages. Edited by Pyramid Books and attributed to Berry Stainback and later Louis Sabin.

Thanks for the response...

It does seem the last Hollander book was 98. The reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Handbook ... 0451192796

suggest there was no edition for the lockout season. This article also notes the last one he put out was in 97:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/14/sport ... wanted=all

which would be the 98 edition. There are listings on Amazon for the 99 version, but maybe they were never removed after publication was canceled.

I actually have a few of those "Stars of" books (the ones written by Mokray, I believe there are four, 61-64), but they're not as in-depth as you noted.

I've also heard Sporting News mentioned, not sure if they're speaking of their regular publication itself, or an annual they produced. Street and Smith's magazines have been suggested as well (it seems it was college/NBA combined for awhile, before a switch in the late 80s, but I don't know if they have complete player profiles. Someone else suggested some of Hollinger's Forecast books. I remember thumbing through one a decade or so ago in a bookstore, but I don't remember how deep the content was. Also unfortunately, they had a short run.
fpliii

Re: Notable annual NBA scouting books/magazines?

Postby bchaikin » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:35 am

i also have annual zander hollander complete handbooks of pro basketball from 1975 on, but would love to get any earlier ones (would pay top dollar). your new york times link says he put them out starting in 1971. i have a 1971-72 complete handbook of pro basketball, but by jim o'brien. does anyone know what year the zander hollander ones began, and what years the jim o'brien complete handbooks came out?...
bchaikin

Postby fpliii » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:36 pm

bchaikin wrote:i also have annual zander hollander complete handbooks of pro basketball from 1975 on, but would love to get any earlier ones (would pay top dollar). your new york times link says he put them out starting in 1971. i have a 1971-72 complete handbook of pro basketball, but by jim o'brien. does anyone know what year the zander hollander ones began, and what years the jim o'brien complete handbooks came out?...

1975 seems to be the first edition Hollander put out. I believe the 94 edition is advertised as his 20th annual publication, so that would make sense.

As for the NYT link, it confuses me a bit as well. So the 75 edition was published in 74. Jim O'Brien put out three different books from my understanding: 71-72, 72-73 (both published prior to the advertised season), and an earlier edition called "The Complete Televiewers Guide to Pro Basketball" (which I think was published in 70, in advance of the 70-71 season). The first two show up on eBay pretty regularly (for reasonable prices, I think they sell for $20-$30 each). Haven't seen his first book yet, but my impression is that it's pretty rare. I don't think either Hollander or O'Brien published a guide in 73 (for the 73-74 season) so there is a one-year gap.

As for Hollander, it seems he did have some earlier publications, but I don't think they're a part of the same series. Off the top of my head, I think there was one about top rookies, another about superstars, still another about basketball "lingo", and I might be forgetting a few. All of those seem to have been published between 70-74 (from a quick search, it looks like he also put out a "Modern Encyclopedia of Basketball in 69).
fpliii

Postby fpliii » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:29 pm

SI's NBA previews are pretty good. Some of the info from the features comes from scouts, makes for a good read.
fpliii

Postby fpliii » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:44 pm

fpliii wrote:SI's NBA previews are pretty good. Some of the info from the features comes from scouts, makes for a good read.

Brief update, not sure how useful they are if one goes pretty far back. There are good articles for sure, but it looks like they didn't always contain complete scouting reports/breakdowns for each team.

The 98-99 preview does have scouting reports/breakdowns, but the 93-94 preview does not. So it seems the practice started at some point during that span.
fpliii

Postby usausa » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:42 am

I found this almanac on my bookshelf, titled "1994-95 Basketball Almanac", from Signet Sports. Contributing writers: Marty Strasen, Matt Marsom, Nick Rousso, Michael Bradley, Mike Sheridan, Pete Palmer, David Korus, Bruce Herman, and Murray Rubenfeld.

It contains a few sections:

NBA Veterans and Rookies - scouting reports on 300 NBA vets and 60 rookies (plus recap of 1994 draft in later section). Each scouting report begins with his vitals (hgt, wgt, etc.). Following is background, reviewing college and pro career to date. Strengths, pretty straight forward, includes traits such as character and leadership as well. Last is weaknesses (includes attutude, off court behavior as well). Also has a quick summary, fantasy value, and card value. Additionally has all stats. all vets and first rounders have a one page summary, second rounders get a half page. Section with team previews, college draft choices, best 100 college players, and top 60+ college team previews.

Overall a very comprehensive resource, one I forgot I had. I'm pretty sure I have one from a couple of years prior but can't seem to locate it. Check out link below with some jpegs to give an idea of how comprehensive this is.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32du9h7c7lp2 ... P4dma?dl=0
usausa

Postby fpliii » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:30 am

usausa wrote:I found this almanac on my bookshelf, titled "1994-95 Basketball Almanac", from Signet Sports. Contributing writers: Marty Strasen, Matt Marsom, Nick Rousso, Michael Bradley, Mike Sheridan, Pete Palmer, David Korus, Bruce Herman, and Murray Rubenfeld.

It contains a few sections:

NBA Veterans and Rookies - scouting reports on 300 NBA vets and 60 rookies (plus recap of 1994 draft in later section). Each scouting report begins with his vitals (hgt, wgt, etc.). Following is background, reviewing college and pro career to date. Strengths, pretty straight forward, includes traits such as character and leadership as well. Last is weaknesses (includes attutude, off court behavior as well). Also has a quick summary, fantasy value, and card value. Additionally has all stats. all vets and first rounders have a one page summary, second rounders get a half page. Section with team previews, college draft choices, best 100 college players, and top 60+ college team previews.

Overall a very comprehensive resource, one I forgot I had. I'm pretty sure I have one from a couple of years prior but can't seem to locate it. Check out link below with some jpegs to give an idea of how comprehensive this is.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32du9h7c7lp2 ... P4dma?dl=0

Thanks for sharing. That's actually very, very impressive content. From what I can tell from a quick search, looks like there were editions released for 91-92 though 96-97.
fpliii

Return to General Discussions