When did this rule -- and that one -- change?

For all non-specific NBA-related discussion

When did this rule -- and that one -- change?

Postby Dementia Man » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:26 pm

In order that I may continue sorting pro basketball as played under various rules into distinct chronological categories, is there someone in the room who can tell me when, either precisely or about when, the NBA changed from being a two-step (without a dribble) to a three-step league?

Also, while we're at it, when was palming/traveling made officially legal?

I mean, does anyone think the myriad "highlight" films dotting the internet would be anywhere nearly as profuse or jam-packed without the advent of the above-named rules changes?

Or, how many "spectacular" slam dunks have you seen where a player limits himself to 1 1/2 steps without a dribble?
Dementia Man

Re: When did this rule -- and that one -- change?

Postby Mike Goodman » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:52 pm

My recollection is that Patrick Ewing always got the extra step -- when he was playing in New York, at first, and then anywhere.
By the late 90s, he could take 3 steps anywhere, and 4 in NY.
Once you have given 4 steps to a certain player, you can give 3 to anyone.

About the same time, I think, they decided palming is OK when the dribbler isn't taking advantage of anyone. He's just slow dribbling, and it doesn't matter.
Unfortunately (or inevitably), players soon learned to take advantage. But when the ref didn't call the initial infraction, it's then a "late call" to retroactively blow the whistle and say, "wait a minute-- several seconds ago, you palmed it."

The dunk is (allegedly) a "crowd pleaser". As such, a guy who has just dunked the ball, especially at home, is a momentary Hero. The place is going bonkers. What ref wants to interrupt that party and say "No way!"?
The palming -- I don't know whom that pleases. It just teaches kids the wrong way to dribble. It makes cheaters more successful than those who play by the rules. It helps the offense, I suppose.
`
36% of all statistics are wrong
Mike Goodman

Return to General Discussions