Stat of the Day

Stat of the Day

Postby John Grasso » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:30 pm

A while back there was a post in the APBR forum about statistics created to fill space.
Today's Stat of the Day in the Binghamton Press, a Gannett newspaper, falls into that category.

1190 - The number of games in between a Nets player having 30 points and 15 rebounds,
which is the most in NBA history. Kris Humphries had 31 and 18 on Monday night against Milwaukee.

(Note - there wasn't enough space to list the last time they did it).

I just looked for the last time and it was Vince Carter on 4/7/07 - only about 300 games ago.
The people who write these things should at least become familiar with Basketball-Reference.com
and its Play Index.

So the item should have been written
1190 - The number of games in between a Nets player having 30 points and 15 rebounds
(if you don't count Vince Carter's game of 4/7/07), ....
John Grasso

Re: Stat of the Day

Postby maltomek46 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:21 pm

There is something missing in the text in the Binghamton Press. There should be a note "The number of games in between a Nets player having 30 points and 15 rebounds in a non-overtime game". Such a stat can be found in Elias Says from yesterday
http://espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20120313
and they mentioned (correctly) that the last player before Humphries in Nets' history to accomplish that feat was Shawn Bradley. But I agree that such records are rather meaningless.
maltomek46

Postby John Grasso » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Good find, Tomek. The Binghamton item reminds me of the takeoff on the NY Times slogan

"All the news that fits, we print."
John Grasso

Postby Mike Goodman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:46 pm

The meaningfulness of a "record" such as this, or we might say the interest level, is specific to the reader.
Apparently some are more interested in a record if the totals are rounded off -- Derek Fisher just scored his 10,000th point, for example. (Not a record nor terribly interesting, but it's something. It adds perspective.)

In this case, 31 and 18 were rounded down to 30 and 15, and such games were then searched.
In the b-r.com game archive, going back to 1985-86, the most recent Nets player to hit 31-18 was Derrick Coleman in Feb. '94.
Before him, there were Mike Gminski, Buck Williams, and Sam Bowie.
http://bkref.com/tiny/jCIqw

That's 4 times in an 8 year period, then 18 years until Humphries did it last night.
Those others all needed more minutes and more shots; also had more turnovers.
`
36% of all statistics are wrong
Mike Goodman

Postby John Grasso » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Mike Goodman wrote:The meaningfulness of a "record" such as this, or we might say the interest level, is specific to the reader.
Apparently some are more interested in a record if the totals are rounded off -- Derek Fisher just scored his 10,000th point, for example. (Not a record nor terribly interesting, but it's something. It adds perspective.)

I always found it interesting that people celebrate anniversaries in years but not days.
For example, sometime during your 27th year, you have been alive 10,000 days but I've
never heard of anyone celebrating that date.
Other significant dates - 5000 days during your 13th year.
15000 days during your 40th
20000 days during your 54th

I missed out on celebrating my 25,000th day last November 30.
John Grasso

Return to Basketball Records