1946 Oshkosh All-Stars @ Sheboygan Redskins radio broadcast

NBL, BAA, and others

1946 Oshkosh All-Stars @ Sheboygan Redskins radio broadcast

Postby Brian Gaynor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:09 am

In 20 years of researching the National Basketball League -- in particular, the Sheboygan entry -- I had never come across a radio broadcast of a game. Thankfully and excitedly, I found my first this week. Yes, this WHBL broadcast covers only the last 4 minutes of garbage time in a blowout: the deciding Game 5 of the 1945-46 NBL Western Division playoffs (the Red Skins advanced to play the Rochester Royals in the NBL championship series). But what a discovery!

This transmission puts the listener inside the Sheboygan Municipal Auditorium and Armory on a Sunday afternoon in March 1946. Gametime was usually 3 p.m. for Sunday afternoon tussles, allowing for games to end around dinner time -- in time for the gang to head to the Chicken Tavern, the hangout for the Red Skins, their fans and their opponents. The tavern was only two blocks from the train station and a convenient launching-off point for Red Skins foes.

A question to fellow APBR members: Do many radio broadcasts of NBL games exist? How about film of NBL games? I know of film that survives from a February 1949 NBL game between Sheboygan and the Hammond Calumet Buccaneers. Can anyone on this board shed light?

Here is the link to the 1946 Oshkosh-Sheboygan broadcast:

http://randsesotericotr.podbean.com/201 ... 6-excerpt/
Brian Gaynor

Re: 1946 Oshkosh All-Stars @ Sheboygan Redskins radio broadc

Postby rlee » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Wow! This is an awesome find! Thanks!

Note the quality of the play-by-play announcer. He strikes me as doing a better job than many do today.
rlee
President

Postby Brian Gaynor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:37 am

His name was Neil Searles. He handled play-by-play on Sheboygan Red Skins broadcasts for much of the 1940s. And, yes, I, too, was struck by how smooth he handled the play-by-play. Later, at least during the 1949-50 NBA season and the 1950-51 NPBL season, Hal O'Halloran was play-by-play announcer for WHBL. O'Halloran went on to broadcast University of Oklahoma football games from 1954-56 (Walter Cronkite and Curt Gowdy were among those who preceded him).
Brian Gaynor

Postby Brian Gaynor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:31 am

Ray, I was also struck by how the crowd was hanging on absolutely EVERY play in the final minutes -- long after the home team had wrapped up the win.

Other observations:

-- Some of the best NBL players of the 1940s were in this game: "Cowboy" Edwards, Gene Englund, Eddie Riska and Bob Carpenter of Oshkosh; Eddie Dancker, Mike Novak, Kenny Suesens, Bobby Holm and Dick Schulz of Sheboygan. Hall of Famer Dutch Dehnert, though not mentioned on the broadcast, was Sheboygan's coach; Lon Darling coached Oshkosh. This turned out to be Dehnert's last victory with the Redskins, who got waxed by Rochester in three straight in the NBL finals.

-- Fire code at the Sheboygan Armory must have been violated: The Milwaukee Sentinel story reported the attendance was more than 3,600 (the place held about 3,500 -- which included 200 to 300, usually kids, on the stage).

-- The radio booth was way upstairs, above the balcony, and the crowd still sounded deafening.

What a nice slice of NBL history! Much thanks to Rand's Esoteric OTR!
Brian Gaynor

Postby Brian Gaynor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:20 pm

-- This game also brings to mind the challenging travel of the day.

The teams played Saturday night at 8:30 in Oshkosh, then turned around and played at 3 p.m. Sunday in Sheboygan. So the teams played the game, showered, drove to Sheboygan (at night or in the morning), slept, had some lunch and immediately got ready for the next day's game. That sort of scant turnaround time would never happen today, of course.

-- Clint Wager, who led Oshkosh and was often mentioned on the broadcast, was left off my previous list of great 1940s players in this game.

Anyone on this board ever hear another NBL broadcast? Thanks!
Brian Gaynor

Postby bchaikin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:20 am

this is really cool... i only wish my father was around to hear this!...

some perspective - the tallest player on either team was 6-9 mike novak of sheboygan. the redskins also had 6-8 kleggie hermsen and 6-7 ed danker. but the oshkosh all-stars tallest player was just 6-6, center clint wager, and their two forwards gene englund and bob carpenter were both just 6-5. carpenter actually lead the league in scoring that year with 13.9 pts/g...

also the highest scorer on the indianapolis kautskys that NBL season was 5-7 jerry steiner...

wow how times have changed...
bchaikin

Return to Pre-NBA Leagues