Why is Leroy Edwards not in the Basketball Hall of Fame

NBL, BAA, and others

Why is Leroy Edwards not in the Basketball Hall of Fame

Postby cjphillips » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:41 am

cjphillips

Re: Why is Leroy Edwards not in the Basketball Hall of Fame

Postby MW » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Looking at the leading NBL players it's hard to fathom why some happened to get into the HoF (McDermott, Jeannette and Cervi) whilst others (Leroy Edwards, Charlie Shipp and Ed Dancker) did not (at least for someone with minimal expertise in the area such as me).

Certainly by (NBL) accolades they stack up:
Edwards 6 NBL first teams selections, 2 second team selections
Shipp 5, 2
Dancker 3, 2
relative to
McDermott 6,1
Jeannette 4,1
Cervi 3, 1

Anyway this site has had people with far greater knowledge than me discuss why this very question and indeed get behind a campaign to get Edwards into the Hall
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2058

Edwards seems to have largely escaped popular notice. I have a database of player rankings (primarily focused on published lists but including lots of others) and sadly the only places he crops up are APBR related

He was included in
The APBRmetrics "Ring of Honour" http://godismyjudgeok.com/DStats/APBRme ... vious.html
The APBR's 100 Greatest Professional Basketball Players of the 20th Century http://apbr.org/apbr100.html viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3885 (the latter list is without Connie Hawkins)
And in the APBR's own Need to Argue's list of the Top 500 players (Edwards comes in at 201) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4526&start=50
MW

Re: Why is Leroy Edwards not in the Basketball Hall of Fame

Postby rlee » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:12 am

Here is a thread that delves into this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2058
rlee
President

Return to Pre-NBA Leagues