Players who were drafted more than once

Moderator: Matthew Maurer

Re: Players who were drafted more than once

Postby tpakrac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:53 am

Ray posted an article about my countryman Kresimir Cosic on APBR forum board. Article says that Cosic was drafted by the Trail Blazers, Lakers, ABA's Cougars and the Celtics (in 1976). I have never heard he was drafted by the Celtics nor it was written anywhere in the NBA draft history books. One fellow historian who is also expert on Celtics history told me he was drafted by the Celtics. When I told him I have never seen it in draft history books he sent me this link:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/6351 ... tml?pg=all

But this proves nothing. If he was indeed drafted by the Celtics in 1976 (for the third time) why Boston (or any other) newspapers didn't publish it and why his name is not mentioned on 1976 draft list?

My take is that Cosic probably said that he was drafted by the Celtics, even though he was not. And people started believing he was drafted by the Celtics. Cosic was trying out for the Celtics in 1976 and that's it.

Lakers drafted Cosic in 1973 but he tried out for the Celtics in 1976. Have you ever heard of a player being drafted in late rounds (just like Cosic did), and then that same player is trying out as a free agent for a team that didn't draft him, and that it happened 3 or 4 years after that player was drafted?
tpakrac

Postby meej » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Cosic was not drafted by the Celtics. He was invited to their summer camp as a free agent, after ascertaining that his draft rights had expired two years after being selected by the Lakers.
meej

Postby rlee » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:35 am

Ralph Crosthwaite (Western Kentucky) selected by the Detroit Pistons in the fourth round (27th pick overall) in 1958 NBA draft. Selected by the Boston Celtics in the third round (24th pick overall) of 1959 NBA Draft. He played varsity ball as a frosh in '54-'55. Redshirted in '55-'56. Played next three years as a soph, junior & senior. First eligible for draft in '58 when his original class graduate. Did not play in NBA.
rlee
President

Postby MCT » Fri May 04, 2018 4:52 pm

MCT wrote:It’s probably beyond the scope of Robert’s list, but there were also cases where players were declared ineligible after the draft order had been finalized. In those cases, the player’s name wouldn’t be struck from the draft order, but the team that selected him wouldn’t actually get his rights. In the discussion earlier in this thread, we identified some picks who probably weren’t actually eligible. Elgin Baylor in 1956 and Arvydas Sabonis in 1984 are notable examples. There are other players in this category who weren’t drafted a second time. The Warriors’ selection of Sarunas Marciulionis in the 6th round in 1987 was later voided after the NBA determined he was 9 days too old to be eligible. Marciulionis had actually been eligible in 1986, but no one had taken him -- he wouldn’t have been on anyone’s radar at the time.

I just came across another player like this, although he wasn't actually drafted twice. The Transactions column in the August 28, 1982 Boston Globe contains the following:

NBA - voided the Milwaukee Bucks' selection of Bryan Leonard in the 8th round of the 1982 College Draft because Leonard still has collegiate eligibility remaining and was not eligible for selection.

Leonard played college basketball at Illinois. His freshman year was 1978-79, but he did not play in 1979-80 for some reason:

http://web.archive.org/web/200607181325 ... eonard.htm

As a result, at the time of the 1982 draft Leonard had been in college for four years, but had only played for three years, so he still had a year of eligibility remaining. (If the junior eligible rule had still been in effect, he would have been eligible under that rule.) The Bucks must not have realized that Leonard had sat out a year and thought he was a true senior. Because the determination of Leonard's ineligibility apparently wasn't made until a couple of months after the draft was held, it was too late to strike him from the official draft list, and he still appears in 1982 draft lists to this day. But the Bucks didn't actually get his rights.

Leonard should have been eligible for the draft "for real" in 1983, but no one drafted him that year.
MCT

Previous

Return to Scouting and Drafts