Players who were drafted more than once

Moderator: Matthew Maurer

Postby tpakrac » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:52 am

b-r.com lists Jim Pollard thrice, all in the same year (1947). First with the Chicago Stags, then with the Philadelphia Warriors and last with the St. Louis Bombers. I consulted my 2000 Official NBA Encyclopedia and three teams (same teams as posted above) list Pollard in 1947 draft, but under so called 'Negotiation list.'
Of course, he isn't drafted twice but it sure is an interesting case. He eventually signed with the Minneapolis Lakers.

One more player drafted twice, never played in the NBA:
Jack Stone, Kansas State University
1947, Chicago Stags
1951, Baltimore Bullets (Round 2, 10th pick)
tpakrac

Postby MCT » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:49 pm

MCT wrote:3) The next list includes players whose complete college record is not available in a source like the NBA Register or The Draft Review. These players may have been junior eligibles the first time they were drafted, or they may not have been; I don’t know one way or the other.

Paul Long – Hawks 15th round 1966, Pistons 5th round 1967. Reference sources indicate that Long played at two different colleges (Virginia Tech and Wake Forest); he may have sat out a year as a transfer.

Upon further research, I am fairly certain that Long was a junior eligible in 1966. Based on information in each school's Media Guide, and newspaper articles available through the Google News Archive, Long played at Virginia Tech as a sophomore in 1963-64, apparently sat out the 1964-65 season as a transfer, then played as a junior and senior at Wake Forest in 1965-66 and 1966-67. If he was a sophomore in 1963-64, he was presumably a freshman in 1962-63, which would have made him four years out of high school at the time of the 1966 draft.
MCT

Postby MCT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:07 pm

tpakrac wrote:One more player drafted twice, never played in the NBA:
Jack Stone, Kansas State University
1947, Chicago Stags
1951, Baltimore Bullets (Round 2, 10th pick)

Kansas State's Media Guide indicates that only one Jack Stone played basketball there, and that he played for the varsity team during the 1948-49, 1949-50, and 1950-51 seasons. Absent some unusual explanation, it's hard to see how he could have been drafted in 1947.

A list of NBA draftees in Kansas State's Media Guide shows Stone under both 1947 and 1951. At first glance that might seem to confirm that Stone was drafted in 1947. It's very possible that the editors simply copied this information from some other source and that it didn't occur to them to check it against the player records elsewhere in the Media Guide, however.

Info on drafts prior to 1949 does not appear in older reference sources. I think the direct source of the lists that appear in many modern reference sources is the draft lists compiled by Robert Bradley for the APBR web site; in another thread a while back, Robert indicated that he obtained a lot of his data from John Duxbury, who was a writer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and a book editor for The Sporting News. I don't know what Duxbury's original sources were. See the last post in the thread below:

http://apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2574
MCT

Postby Robert Bradley » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:40 pm

john didn't send me anything on the 1947 draft, that probably would have come from one of those NBA sources (probably the old Microsoft NBA cd-rom in this case).

[edit] jack stone is listed in the 1994 NBA Encylopedia, that might have been the source.
Author of THE BASKETBALL DRAFT FACT BOOK: A HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL'S COLLEGE DRAFTS
Available at https://Rowman.com

Robert Bradley's Pro Basketball History Revisited Blog
http://apbrbasketball.blogspot.com/
Robert Bradley
Emeritus

Re: A new twist re: early draft rules?

Postby MCT » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:16 am

Earlier in this thread, it was noted that Harry Gallatin was apparently drafted twice, once in 1947 and once in 1949 (though in the latter case, he was actually signed subsequent to the 1948 draft in lieu of a 1949 pick). A question came up as to why Gallatin would have been eligible for the BAA draft in 1947, given that:

--he had only played one year of college basketball

--he had been out of high school less than four years

--he had not yet graduated from college

Ray found an apparent answer. According to a 1953 magazine article, BAA teams were allowed to draft any player in the 1947 draft who had previously signed a pro contract in any sport. (It is unclear how long after 1947 this rule remained in effect, or if that may have been the only year for it.) The article discusses this in the context of Carl Braun being drafted by the Knicks, but it would have applied to Gallatin as well, because he had previously signed a contract to play pro baseball.

I just realized that there is a major catch to this: the 1947 draft list that appears on the APBR web site, and which has apparently been used as a source by other reference sources, does not list Braun as having been drafted that year. I have no idea whether Braun was really drafted, but this really drives home the point of how sketchy available information is on the 1947 draft.
MCT

Postby MCT » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:49 pm

rlee wrote:Marvin Delph (Arkansas) - 1978 3rd Round - Buffalo; 1979 6th Rd - Boston

Delph appears in the "Promising Newcomers" section of the 1981-82 NBA Register, apparently because Atlanta had invited him to training camp that year. His Register entry indicates that he was a college senior in 1978, then spent the next three seasons playing for Athletes in Action. Because Athletes in Action was considered to be an amateur team by the NBA, Delph would have been eligible for the draft again in 1979 because he had retained his amateur status.
MCT

Re: A new twist re: early draft rules?

Postby Robert Bradley » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:05 am

MCT wrote:Earlier in this thread, it was noted that Harry Gallatin was apparently drafted twice, once in 1947 and once in 1949 (though in the latter case, he was actually signed subsequent to the 1948 draft in lieu of a 1949 pick). A question came up as to why Gallatin would have been eligible for the BAA draft in 1947, given that:

--he had only played one year of college basketball

--he had been out of high school less than four years

--he had not yet graduated from college

Ray found an apparent answer. According to a 1953 magazine article, BAA teams were allowed to draft any player in the 1947 draft who had previously signed a pro contract in any sport. (It is unclear how long after 1947 this rule remained in effect, or if that may have been the only year for it.) The article discusses this in the context of Carl Braun being drafted by the Knicks, but it would have applied to Gallatin as well, because he had previously signed a contract to play pro baseball.

I just realized that there is a major catch to this: the 1947 draft list that appears on the APBR web site, and which has apparently been used as a source by other reference sources, does not list Braun as having been drafted that year. I have no idea whether Braun was really drafted, but this really drives home the point of how sketchy available information is on the 1947 draft.

interesting. there were quite a few players in the early years who played baseball as minor leaguers or pros.

from 1947 there was eddie ehlers, andy phillip and walt dropo (with dropo having a successful major league career).
Author of THE BASKETBALL DRAFT FACT BOOK: A HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL'S COLLEGE DRAFTS

Robert Bradley
Emeritus

Re: Players who were drafted more than once

Postby rlee » Mon May 30, 2011 6:08 am

MCT wrote:

"IINM, there were some additional junior eligibles selected in the later rounds of the 1980 draft, then similarly voided, but the four players listed above were the only ones of the group who went on to play in the NBA. I don't have a list of the others, so I'm not sure if any were also drafted in 1981."

additional voided 1980 picks (10th rounders):

Ed Turner Texas A&I Houston (who was then drafted in the 2nd round by the Rockets in 1981)
Johnny Nash Arizona State Kansas City (who was then drafted in the 5th round by the Bulls in 1981)
Mickey Dillard Florida State Atlanta (who was then drafted in the third round by the Cavs in 1981 & appeared in 33 games for them in 1981-82)
rlee
President

Postby Robert Bradley » Mon May 30, 2011 5:50 pm

here are the ineligible players that i've compiled so far from here and some news articles -

1969 - 13th Rd - SFW - Denise Long - Union-Whitten (IA) HS
1979 - 7th Rd - WSB - Joeffre Whitsenton - Fisk
1979 - 8th Rd - SAS - Ed “Too Tall” Jones - Tennessee State
1980 - 7th Rd - LAL - Charles Davis - Vanderbilt
1980 - 8th Rd - DEN - Frank Johnson - Wake Forest University
1980 - 8th Rd - KCK - Kevin Singleton - University of California
1980 - 8th Rd - ATL - Larry Lawrence - Dartmouth
1980 - 10th Rd - DET - Steve Johnson - Oregon State University
1980 - 10th Rd - NJN - Rudy Macklin - Louisiana State University
1980 - 10th Rd - HOU - Ed Turner - Texas A&I
1980 - 10th Rd - KCK - Johnny Nash - Arizona State University
1980 - 10th Rd - ATL - Mickey Dillard - Florida State University
1983 - 10th Rd - HOU - Darrell Johnson - San Jose State
1983 - 10th Rd - PHI - Norm Horvitz - Philadelphia Pharmacy

Robert Bradley
Emeritus

Postby Robert Bradley » Mon May 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Also, it appears that Bayard Forrest applied for the Hardship Draft in 1975 (according to a 30May75 article in The Provo Daily Herald), and NAIA rules at the time did not prevent him from returning to school for his final year of eligibility.

Robert Bradley
Emeritus

Postby Robert Bradley » Mon May 30, 2011 6:32 pm

In the 1972 NBA Draft Los Angeles and Buffalo were both reprimanded by NBA Commissioner Walter Kennedy for trying to take underclassmen (Los Angeles announced that they wanted to select David Brent who had already signed with Memphis of the ABA, Buffalo tried to draft Maryland sophomore Tom McMillen. Both teams were advised to select another player)

Robert Bradley
Emeritus

Postby MCT » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Robert Bradley wrote:After the Junior Eligible rule ended in 1979, four players who would have qualified under the old rule were selected by teams in 1980. The four choices were all voided by the league -

Charles Jones, Vanderbilt, by Los Angeles (selected by Washington in 1981)
Frank Johnson, Wake Forest, by Denver (Selected by Washington in 1981)
Steve Johnson, Oregon State, by Detroit (Selected by Kansas City in 1981)
Rudy Macklin, Louisiana State, by New Jersey (selected by Atlanta in 1981)

MCT wrote:These teams made the above selections because the NBA Players' Association had challenged the league's authority to unilaterally abolish the junior eligible rule, taking the matter to a "Special Master" appointed under the Oscar Robertson lawsuit settlement to arbitrate disputes between the owners and the players. As of the time the 1980 draft was held, a final decision had not yet been handed down. The teams were apparently hedging their bets against the possibility that the ruling might come down in favor of the players, in which case these picks would presumably be reinstated....

All four players [were] junior eligibles because they had missed almost all of a season due to injury, and had been granted an extra year of eligibility by the NCAA (oddly, none missed the entire season in question; all appeared in at least one game before getting hurt). IINM, there were some additional junior eligibles selected in the later rounds of the 1980 draft, then similarly voided, but the four players listed above were the only ones of the group who went on to play in the NBA. I don't have a list of the others, so I'm not sure if any were also drafted in 1981.

rlee wrote:additional voided 1980 picks (10th rounders):

Ed Turner Texas A&I Houston (who was then drafted in the 2nd round by the Rockets in 1981)
Johnny Nash Arizona State Kansas City (who was then drafted in the 5th round by the Bulls in 1981)
Mickey Dillard Florida State Atlanta (who was then drafted in the third round by the Cavs in 1981 & appeared in 33 games for them in 1981-82)

Thanks, Ray. Good catch on Dillard. Interestingly, he held junior eligible status under the exact same scenario as the other four who went on to play in the NBA: he missed almost all of a season due to injury, but not all of it (he appeared in two games in 1978-79 before getting hurt), and was granted an extra year of eligibility as an injury redshirt.
MCT

Postby MCT » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Robert Bradley wrote:Also, it appears that Bayard Forrest applied for the Hardship Draft in 1975 (according to a 30May75 article in The Provo Daily Herald), and NAIA rules at the time did not prevent him from returning to school for his final year of eligibility.

Great find! That makes a lot of sense. I've never seen Forrest listed as a hardship candidate, but he may have just been missed by past researchers. FWIW, searching for "Bayard Forrest" in the Google News Archive turns up an article from the May 18, 1975 Boston Globe which appears to have a list of hardship candidates for that year's draft, on which Forrest is included. I say "appears" because the article isn't free and I only looked at the preview, not the full text (although I do have access to the Globe on microfilm through my local library). At the time, players could withdraw from the draft at any time up to draft day, so the list in the Globe article probably isn't final. It seems pretty clear that Forrest didn't subsequently withdraw, though.

Robert's information about the NAIA angle may also resolve the status of another player. Earlier in this thread, I had wondered what the deal was with Joe Pace, who appears on lists of 1975 hardship candidates, but somehow ended up back in school and was drafted again in 1976:
MCT wrote:Joe Pace -- Suns 5th round 1975, Bullets 2nd round 1976. Another strange case. Pace was a junior in 1975, but he wasn't a junior eligible. It appears that he applied for early entry in 1975 as a "hardship" case, then was somehow allowed to return to college for the 1975-76 season. Pace appears on lists of hardship candidates for the '75 draft, but I've never found any explanation of how he subsequently ended up back in college.

I'm guessing that Pace was in the exact same situation as Forrest. According to Coppin State's media guide, they were strictly an NAIA school when Pace played there, having no affiliation with the NCAA until the 1980-81 season.
MCT

Postby MCT » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:26 pm

MCT wrote:3) The next list includes players whose complete college record is not available in a source like the NBA Register or The Draft Review. These players may have been junior eligibles the first time they were drafted, or they may not have been; I don't know one way or the other.

Wayne Chapman -- 76ers 16th round 1967, Bullets 9th round 1968.

Upon further research, I am fairly certain that Chapman was a junior eligible in 1967. Several Google News Archive articles from the Bowling Green, Ky. Park City News establish that Chapman was a senior in high school in 1962-63; enrolled at Kentucky in 1963-64, playing on the freshman team due to the NCAA prohibition then in effect on freshman playing varisty sports at Division I schools; then transferred to Western Kentucky for 1964-65, sitting out the year as a transfer. For example, a September 22, 1964 article previewing the upcoming Western Kentucky season states, "Enrolled on the Hill but not eligible until next season is 6-6 Wayne Chapman of Daviess County High who was a high-scoring stickout with the University of Kentucky frosh last season". Western Kentucky's media guide indicates that Chapman played varsity basketball there in 1965-66, 1966-67 and 1967-68.

A side note on Chapman: coming out of college in 1968, he signed with the ABA Kentucky Colonels prior to that year's NBA draft. So at the time the Bullets drafted him, he was already under contract to the ABA; he may have gone higher in the NBA draft had this not been the case.
MCT

Postby rlee » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Roger Newman (Kentucky) drafted by Boston in the 6th round (48th player drafted) in 1960 and by Syracuse in the 7th Round (64th player) in 1961.
Unfortunately, misinformation abounds on the 1960 draft where Roger is commonly misidentified as "George".

To summarize info contained in Greg Doyel's book: Kentucky Wildcats, Where Have You Gone?:

Roger had starred for the Wildcat frosh in 56-57 but then decided to concentrate on academics, staying in shape by playing top-flight competitive basketball in a tough YMCA league. He almost came back in 1960 for the 2nd half of the season to replace Billy Ray Lickert but the SEC ruled against that because he had played organized ball at the YMCA that season. So he came back in the 60-61 season and finished 2nd on the team in scoring & 1st in rebounding.
rlee
President

Postby rlee » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:47 pm

MCT wrote:

"Ray found an apparent answer. According to a 1953 magazine article, BAA teams were allowed to draft any player in the 1947 draft who had previously signed a pro contract in any sport. (It is unclear how long after 1947 this rule remained in effect, or if that may have been the only year for it.) The article discusses this in the context of Carl Braun being drafted by the Knicks, but it would have applied to Gallatin as well, because he had previously signed a contract to play pro baseball.

I just realized that there is a major catch to this: the 1947 draft list that appears on the APBR web site, and which has apparently been used as a source by other reference sources, does not list Braun as having been drafted that year. I have no idea whether Braun was really drafted, but this really drives home the point of how sketchy available information is on the 1947 draft."

Patrick, I think the answer to this is that the 1953 story does not say that Braun was drafted but, rather, that, due to the ruling re his eligibility. the Knicks placed him on their negotiating list.
rlee
President

Postby MCT » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:49 pm

rlee wrote:Patrick, I think the answer to this is that the 1953 story does not say that Braun was drafted but, rather, that, due to the ruling re his eligibility. the Knicks placed him on their negotiating list.

The draft page on the APBR web site shows players who were on each team's "negotiating list", but Braun isn't listed. Other online reference sources have the same list as the APBR site, some with players on the negotiating list designated separately, some with no distinction drawn between regular picks and the negotiating list. I have to admit that I don't really understand what the negotiating list was, or how it differed from being a regular draft pick. 1947 is the only year that the draft lists on the APBR web site show a "negotiating list".

The bottom line, though, is that no source shows Braun as having been drafted by the Knicks in 1947 in any way, shape or form. I think that 1953 story is probably reliable, but the BAA's draft record-keeping was so poor that no record of Braun being drafted (or placed on a "negotiating list") seems to have survived.
MCT

Postby MCT » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:10 pm

I'm come across one more player who was drafted twice who I don't think has been mentioned yet: Coby Leavitt of the University of Utah. Leavitt was a 9th round pick of the 76ers in 1979 and a 6th round pick of the Suns in 1980. He tried out for the Suns in 1980 but did not make the team, and never played in the NBA.

I haven't been able to locate Leavitt's college stats anywhere, but Utah's media guide shows that he earned letters for playing varsity basketball during the four consecutive seasons from 1976-77 to 1979-80. Newspaper articles in the Google News Archive indicate that Leavitt was a senior in high school in 1974-75 (which would confirm that he was a junior eligible at the time of the 1979 NBA Draft), that he enrolled at Utah that fall, and that he was "recovering from a knee operation" as Utah prepared to begin workouts to get ready for the 1975-76 season. Several articles from the 1976-77 season then describe him as a freshman at Utah. Based on the above, I strongly suspect that Leavitt took a redshirt year during the 1975-76 season to recover from his knee surgery, but I don't have confirmation of this.
MCT

Postby Frank Marousek » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:14 pm

rlee wrote:Roger Newman (Kentucky) drafted by Boston in the 6th round (48th player drafted) in 1960 and by Syracuse in the 7th Round (64th player) in 1961.
Unfortunately, misinformation abounds on the 1960 draft where Roger is commonly misidentified as "George".

To summarize info contained in Greg Doyel's book: Kentucky Wildcats, Where Have You Gone?:

Roger had starred for the Wildcat frosh in 56-57 but then decided to concentrate on academics, staying in shape by playing top-flight competitive basketball in a tough YMCA league. He almost came back in 1960 for the 2nd half of the season to replace Billy Ray Lickert but the SEC ruled against that because he had played organized ball at the YMCA that season. So he came back in the 60-61 season and finished 2nd on the team in scoring & 1st in rebounding.

Does anyone have any idea how Roger Newman would have gotten listed as George Newman in virtually every modern record of the 1960 NBA draft? Or is this a case of every source copying the same initial source that contained the error? Or is it possibly a case of Mr. Newman's legal name being one, but he commonly went by the other?
Frank Marousek

Postby MCT » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:28 am

Robert Bradley wrote:here are the ineligible players that i've compiled so far from here and some news articles -

1969 - 13th Rd - SFW - Denise Long - Union-Whitten (IA) HS
1979 - 7th Rd - WSB - Joeffre Whitsenton - Fisk
1979 - 8th Rd - SAS - Ed “Too Tall” Jones - Tennessee State
1980 - 7th Rd - LAL - Charles Davis - Vanderbilt
1980 - 8th Rd - DEN - Frank Johnson - Wake Forest University
1980 - 8th Rd - KCK - Kevin Singleton - University of California
1980 - 8th Rd - ATL - Larry Lawrence - Dartmouth
1980 - 10th Rd - DET - Steve Johnson - Oregon State University
1980 - 10th Rd - NJN - Rudy Macklin - Louisiana State University
1980 - 10th Rd - HOU - Ed Turner - Texas A&I
1980 - 10th Rd - KCK - Johnny Nash - Arizona State University
1980 - 10th Rd - ATL - Mickey Dillard - Florida State University
1983 - 10th Rd - HOU - Darrell Johnson - San Jose State
1983 - 10th Rd - PHI - Norm Horvitz - Philadelphia Pharmacy

Robert Bradley wrote:In the 1972 NBA Draft Los Angeles and Buffalo were both reprimanded by NBA Commissioner Walter Kennedy for trying to take underclassmen (Los Angeles announced that they wanted to select David Brent who had already signed with Memphis of the ABA, Buffalo tried to draft Maryland sophomore Tom McMillen. Both teams were advised to select another player)

There is another thread that touches on ineligible picks here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1690

Tracking ineligible picks is an inexact science. There seem to have been different degrees of ineligible picks, or at least different degrees of the NBA policing them. Prior to 1976, the draft lists in the NBA Guide just skip over picks for which no formal selection was made, with no indication whether the team selected an ineligible player or whether there is some other explanation for why no pick was made (e.g., the team simply passed on the selection).

At times in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s, if it was obvious that a selection was ineligible, the NBA would sometimes tell the team right on the spot that they couldn’t take that player, as in Robert’s examples of the ABA players in 1972. Sometimes the team would take another player instead, sometimes they wouldn’t. I suspect that the NBA does not officially view these teams as having selected ineligible players, but takes the position that these picks never really happened. Denise Long in 1969 is one example. (Note that Long was right out of high school and would have ineligible on that basis alone, without taking into account her gender.)

On the other hand, some ineligible picks managed to make into draft lists published in newspapers in the days following the draft before the NBA stuck them from the draft order. The two ineligible picks from 1983 are in this category. There was apparently a window after the draft where the draft order wasn‘t yet officially final and could still be modified by the league.

The two picks on Robert’s list that I am entirely unfamiliar with are those from 1978 and 1979. Robert, do you know when these players were declared ineligible (was it on the spot, or did they make into draft lists published in newspapers), and why? In Jones’ case, I’m guessing that the NBA declared him ineligible because his college class had graduated several years earlier and he had never actually played college basketball. For anyone who is unfamiliar with Jones, he was a well-known professional American football player. The NFL operated under similar draft rules to the NBA, and Jones had been playing pro football since 1974.

Here’s a few more ineligible, or at least attempted ineligible, picks:

--According to the article in the thread linked to above, the Hawks attempted to use their 10th round pick in 1974 to take James Williams, the infant son of GM Pat Williams. The NBA apparently figured out what the Hawks were doing and told them they could not draft him. The Hawks apparently then selected another player instead, because NBA draft records show that they used that pick to take Brendy Lee of Nebraska.

--In 1975, the Bulls attempted to use their 10th round pick to take Moses Malone. The NBA apparently told the Bulls they could not draft him. The Bulls’ media guide still includes Malone on a list of the team’s all-time draft picks, with a note indicating that the NBA declared him ineligible. As with Denise Long, I suspect the NBA’s position is that this pick never actually happened.

--If you look at the 1972 draft, you will notice that the Celtics made selections in each of the first 11 rounds, with the exception of the 9th round. I have recently learned that the Celtics did make a selection in the 9th round, Mark Waygar of Ohio State, but he was decaled ineligible by the NBA because he was a junior who was neither four years out of high school nor a hardship applicant. Like the ineligible picks in 1983, Waygar doesn’t appear to have been declared ineligible until after the draft had concluded, and he made it into some draft lists published in newspapers. The 1972 draft list in The Sporting News, for example, shows Waygar as the 142nd overall pick, with the remaining picks in the 9th and 10th rounds numbered 143 through 157. The 1972-73 NBA Guide and all subsequent reference sources skip over Boston‘s pick and show the others as 142nd through 156th. (Note that the 10th round was the last “regular” round of the 1972 draft. The remaining rounds were conducted after the fact through the supplementary draft process.)

My discovery of the above info solved a mystery I had long wondered about. Back in the 1980s, I recall reading a newspaper article about the Celtics’ drafting of Waygar, probably Celtics draft coverage in a local newspaper here in Massachusetts. If I remember the article correctly, the Celtics actually intended to take another player from Ohio State named Mark Minor. Someone in Boston’s front office was unable to read Minor’s name scrawled in Red Auerbach’s handwriting on a note pad, however, and conveyed the wrong name to the league office. I was always puzzled because Waygar was not listed anywhere as having been drafted by the Celtics in 1972, but Minor was; he was the team’s 11th round pick. Auerbach was apparently determined to make sure he got Minor, so he submitted his name through the supplementary draft -- the only player the Celtics selected through that process in 1972 -- and he went on the books as Boston’s 11th round pick. I don’t know why Auerbach didn’t just take Minor in the 10th round. Maybe he hadn’t realized the error yet, or believed that the player he selected with his 10th round pick would be claimed by another team in the supplementary draft before the Celtics could.

It’s probably beyond the scope of Robert’s list, but there were also cases where players were declared ineligible after the draft order had been finalized. In those cases, the player’s name wouldn’t be struck from the draft order, but the team that selected him wouldn’t actually get his rights. In the discussion earlier in this thread, we identified some picks who probably weren’t actually eligible. Elgin Baylor in 1956 and Arvydas Sabonis in 1984 are notable examples. There are other players in this category who weren’t drafted a second time. The Warriors’ selection of Sarunas Marciulionis in the 6th round in 1987 was later voided after the NBA determined he was 9 days too old to be eligible. Marciulionis had actually been eligible in 1986, but no one had taken him -- he wouldn’t have been on anyone’s radar at the time.
MCT

Postby Robert Bradley » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:34 am

frank, i believe it was probably just and error on one of the NBA's original draft lists, or the wire article that made the error and it just spread from there.

I just looked up the 1960 draft on newspaperarchive.com and there were three articles from 12Apr60 which listed him as roger . i then searched "george newman" and found four articles with lists which listed the same pick as george.

Robert Bradley
Emeritus

Postby Robert Bradley » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:43 am

i can address the selection of ed "too tall" Jones from memory. he had recently retired from the dallas cowboys as a football player to take up professional boxing and was then drafted by the spurs, but since he has been playing professional football since 1974 (and had played college basketball his freshman and sophomore seasons at tennessee state), he was obviously ineligible and the league probably declared him as such immediately.

Robert Bradley
Emeritus

Postby rlee » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:06 pm

More from Doyel's book re: Roger Newman:

"Newman just wasn't consumed (with basketball). If his 3 year hiatus at Kentucky didn't make that point, his snubbing of the Celtics did. The Celtics were in the middle of their dynasty when they drafted him in 1960, but he didn't bother showing up at training camp. When Syracuse drafted him the next year, it was the same thing.

"In fact, Newman's indifference to basketball is such that, to this day, he has his own story wrong. He recalls it was Syracuse that drafted him in 1960 & Boston in 1961. No matter. He wasn't going to play professionally, regardless."
rlee
President

Postby Jon Scott » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:59 am

Robert Bradley wrote:frank, i believe it was probably just and error on one of the NBA's original draft lists, or the wire article that made the error and it just spread from there.

I just looked up the 1960 draft on newspaperarchive.com and there were three articles from 12Apr60 which listed him as roger . i then searched "george newman" and found four articles with lists which listed the same pick as george.

This is just one small example, but it illustrates how simple errors can get propagated and take on a life of their own. Think about it, here were are 50+ years later and the information one would look at today would still be wrong.

And journalists wonder why people such as myself are sticklers for them getting their facts straight.

Jon
Jon Scott

Postby rlee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Another common online error I recently discovered is 1962 6th rd (#48) Syracuse pick Lanny Van Eman referred to as "Larry" on many generally accurate sites.
rlee
President

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting and Drafts