US national teams

Anything and everything NOT related to the P, the B, or the R in "APBR"

US national teams

Postby Katharine Sinderson » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 am

I am interested in when the first official US representative teams, men's and women's were formed. I presume this would be under the auspices of the AAU but I don't know where to find the information. Was there an official US team before the 1936 Olympics? Teams that played before that seem to have only been exhibition teams rather than official ones.
Katharine Sinderson

Postby meej » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Basketball was not an official Olympic sport before 1936, I think it was an exhibition sport in St Louis 1904 but back then there were no national teams as teams and athletes were not divided into nations. All teams that played exhibition games were from the US. FIBA was created in 1932 as a part of the movement to get basketball into the Olympics in 1936. They held their first World Championship in 1950. First Eurobasket was in 1935.

Which means there was no international competition before that.

You can get quite some information on early men's basketball teams in Grundman's "Golden Age of AAU Basketball", a wonderful book on AAU basketball which included olympic qualification tournaments held by the NCAA & AAU. There is also a book specifically on US men's basketball olympic teams, "American Hoops", which has just been released. I have not managed to get my mitts on one copy, though, so I don't know how good it is.
meej

National Teams

Postby Katharine Sinderson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks for replying. So I'm presuming that the first US team was that which played in the 1936 Olympics, or any exhibition games in the run-up to those Games. It would be interesting to know who those players were and if the impetus to form an official team only came about because of the impending Olympics.
I have read 'The Golden Age of Basketball' a while ago and know that it does mention Olympic trials, but look forward to the other book you mention which I hadn't heard of.
Katharine Sinderson

National Teams

Postby Katharine Sinderson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:00 pm

There is some information in the history sections on the USA Basketball site although this doesn't actually say who played in each game. However, it would appear that the first team the US team played against was Estonia, unless anyone knows any differently.
Katharine Sinderson

Re: US national teams

Postby usausa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:31 am

Here are a couple of articles regarding basketball at the 1904 Olympics. Basketball was a demonstration sport, and only featured teams from the US and their were three levels of competition: amateur (AAU national tournament), collegeiate, high school, and elementary.

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLib ... Hv4n3d.pdf
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLib ... v11n3h.pdf

And some 1936 stuff:
http://basketball.about.com/od/history/a/1936-liu.htm
http://www.aafla.org/6oic/OralHistory/OHLubin.pdf
usausa

Postby luckyshow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:26 pm

I believe in 1936 there were two squads sent, an AAU squad and a college squad (there were also YMCA Olympic Trials, not sure any went, nor which of these two they'd have been on. Then they alternated games. Germany was manipulating many sports but let the US run the basketball competition.

<The center jump after every basket was eliminated at the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games, and the 10 second violation was instituted. Spain couldn't come due to civil war, Peru withdrew. Before the Americans' first game, their lockers were burglarized and the uniforms stolen. The Germans were cheating. The Gold medal match was a 19-8 “slaughter” over Canada on an outdoor muddy court.>

They actually were able to put in these rule changes that they couldn't get approved and passed in the US... Perhaps because most NY schools were boycotting the games, possibly NY coaches also stayed home, though some of those were always pushing for rules changes like those stated above. For instance, Clair Bee was the one who got goaltending instituted and the 3 second violation (c.1940)

The teams were picked by elimination tournaments, AAU teams and college teams, final rounds were at the Garden. Though they were played at other arenas, too. It was intended the winning team would represent us. This maybe occured in 1936 with AAU team, but I am unsure this ever occurred with the college teams. Later the NAIA (NAIB at first) was also included. YMCA might get one team in this tourney, I think NAIA may also have gotten one, but due to the war, these actual elimination trials only occurred 1936, 1948 and 1952
luckyshow

Postby luckyshow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:38 pm

US men's scoring records, Olympic games. in order (point in one game):
13 pts. Frank Lubin USA (W 52-28) v. Estonia, 8/9/1936 (2nd round, 1st game)
18 pts. Francis Johnson, U.S.A. (W 56-23) v. Philippines, 8/12/1936 (quarter-final)
21 pts. Joe Fortenberry, USA (W 56-23) v. Philippines, 8/12/1936 (quarter-final)
25 pts. Clyde Lovellette, USA (W 85-76) v. Argentina, 8/26/1952 (Semi-final) Helsinki
30 pts. Jerry Lucas, USA (W 125-66) Japan, 8/27/1960 at Pallazzetto Dello Sport, Rome 4,000
30 pts. Adrian Dantley, USA (W 95-74) Yugoslavia, 7/27/1976 (Gold Medal Game) at The Forum, Montreal 18,000
30 pts. Charles Barkley, USA (W 127-83) Brazil, 7/31/1992 at Badalona, Spain
31 pts. Stephon Marbury, USA (W 102-94) Spain, 8/26/2004 at Olympic Indoor Hall, Athens 14,500

Note that women began in the Olympics only in 1976.
Internationally, the two court, 6 players on a side, restricted dribbling, game was never played. They always played the normal basketball game. Beginning after WW II, US women playing international competition occurred. There were US v USSR games, men and women in doubleheaders. At Madison Square Garden and elsewhere
luckyshow

Postby lapisnotes » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:38 pm

1919, during the InterAllied Games in Paris, just after the end of WWI a selection USA won vs Italy and France team. Max Friedman, half of The Heavenly Twins was playing there.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
lapisnotes

Return to Off-Topic Discussions