The Other Dream Team

Anything and everything NOT related to the P, the B, or the R in "APBR"

The Other Dream Team

Postby mtamada » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:39 pm

A documentary film about the 1992 Lithuanian Olympic team. I've only seen the trailer but this looks really good: basketball yes, and of course Arvydas and Sarunas and Donnie, but also Communism and independence and the Grateful Dead. This was not just any basketball team.

http://otherdreamteam.thefilmarcade.com/
mtamada

Re: The Other Dream Team

Postby Mike Goodman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:18 am

Wow, this does look awesome. Basketball, freedom, and the Grateful Dead!
Did Bill Walton turn the Dead on to basketball?

After 20 years, I don't recall whether Lithuania beat Russia in 1992. Nor will I look it up, since I hope to see the movie.
`
36% of all statistics are wrong
Mike Goodman

Postby tpakrac » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:45 pm

I have also seen the trailer. Too bad they can't post it on YouTube, I watched documentary about the 20th anniversary of US Dream Team on YouTube. This Lithuanian documentary is a masterpiece, I'm sure of it.

It is a disgrace Croatia didn't commemorate their silver medal on that same Olympics. Actually, they did but that's a long story. I first heard about Lithuanian documentary in January this year, US Dream Team documentary was aired in June, if I'm not mistaken. And you want to know what Croatians did? Croatian basketball federation requested making of the documentary from one guy who previously did Croatian documentaries on Drazen Petrovic, Cibona and Mirko Novosel and he was probably pressed with time, and he did a 20-minute documentary about 1992 Croatian team that won silver medal. Both Lithuanian and American documentaries last about 90 minutes, and Croatian mini documentary only 20 minutes. What a disgrace.

I am sorry that Croatia's title wasn't The Other Dream Team but I congratulate the Lithuanians, they were faster and obviously they did a much better job with the documentary (even though I didn't see Croatian documentary yet).
tpakrac

Postby meej » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:54 pm

I remember an interview with Marciulionis in the Spanish media where he remembered when he first met Sabonis in 1974, and how Djordjevic talked him out of leaving the court during the Eurobasket 1995 finals.

I wish the documentary explored Marciulionis' weird path to stardom and his poor relationship with Iovaisha. I am afraid it won't.
meej

Return to Off-Topic Discussions