Google is worse than LIPA

Anything and everything NOT related to the P, the B, or the R in "APBR"

Google is worse than LIPA

Postby luckyshow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:19 am

I won't go into my two week "refugee" status, or how utterly lame and pretentious and useless LIPA is. You've seen some of this in the news. We are now the Third World.

I am here once again because Google allows no real way to converse on their continual surge towards poor research and total irrelevance

To do my research on current events, I need to use the News Search. I won't complain about their annoying tendency to try and get one to limit the news one sees. I could choose to see just news on finger nail clippings I guess. No wonder everyone is so dumb. Why not cater to them, dumb them down further.....

No, here's the problem. I need to search the latest. When I look for 49 point games, let's say. It use to be I could click "list by date order" It began not working correctly. So I began using "last 24 hours"

And sometimes if I then click "by date" it may work like before or not. To do these maneuvers one found items to choose on the left in a column. Where they also stuck the News Archives which, as we know, do not function as before, sometimes one finds, most times one doesn't.

OK. Now in my recent road trip sleep ing on couches and eating junk food for meals, I was on lousy computers, truly bad ones. I used Chrome browser, but go figure, the left hand column in the NEws Search was missing, no where to be found. And as typical for haughty, above it all Google, no explanation whatsoever as to why or where it might be. So get this. I had to open crappy Internet Explorer, search in the Google News Search, and lucky me, that left hand column with all the options was there. I would then click 24 hours, then copy the URL address up top, and paste it in the faster more efficient Chrome browser. And voila, there would be a second line of clickable options up top under the usual choices of which search to choose. And an arrow under 24 hours brought all the other choices usually to the left, like By Date, Archives, Custom Search, etc. Since no one can either follow my convoluted procedure or even know about it, very few will use these features and as Google does now, will be eliminated for low usage.

When I finally returned home and used Firefox, the same idiocy. I had to open IE and find the correct choice I want and copy and paste it to Firefox in order to do the corect searches. This is absurd and of course try and contact them and they try and funnel me to some useless Forum that they never look at. Where has the forum complaining about their ruining of the News Archive Search gotten anyone. They are bloated and complacent and solely for profit. Just like LIPA, except no one ends up in the hospital.

Does Bling do what I find Google is lacking in? Because I know my search choices probably will not survive IE soon enough. Probably not since Bling seems to have started this non-research searching where it is assumed I want just one answer and no more than one, or at least just 10 unless I am swift enough to figure out, and patent enough to do, the convoluted way to get 100 a page results again.....

And don't ask why it soemtimes says I have no results and then gives two. Or why removing a modifying adjective from a search doesn't produce more results, but less. No one to ask.

Now Newspaperarchives says it is new and improved. Which usually means harder to use and more mistake prone....
luckyshow

Re: Google is worse than LIPA

Postby luckyshow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:13 am

I was right. Newspaper Archive is now a total joke. First they made the fonts huge, like it is for the nearly blind. Or a five year old.

They've totally eliminated complex searches. Items such as "Exact Phrase" are gone, and exacting date ranges are much more difficult, as would be delimiting by location.

There is more, but the worst aspect seems that even though I logged in, I can't view any page. They still want me to sign up, or pay per page. I am unsure. I've written them. Unlike Google, they at least have that. But I have learned that they only answer if they have an answer. Otherwise they ignore me.

So in summary, Google has made my searching for new records much more difficult and time consuming, and newspaper archive has made one place I used for historical research seemingly useless now. I will save on yearly subscription to them now.

Does anyone else use these research sources here and have similar annoyances?

Dumbing down seems what people want. All this technology used for frivolity I guess leads to poor research techniques. And the custodians play along, pandering for handouts like high class beggars.
luckyshow

Postby luckyshow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:15 pm

I realize writing about Google here gets me no where, but that is an improvement since there is absolutely no way to write such things to Google. They are not interested.

I found out today that the Google News Archives, which sort of still exists, has no way anymore to do a date range search. Making it even more useless than it became last year...

Bruce Johnson of Patoka High, Indiana, scored 48 in a sectional playoff game in Indiana sometime between 1951 and 1955. Hell if I can find this one....

There was also some recent result I wanted to check but some dinky local paper somewhere wanted me to pay to look. This would get awful expensive for such research...

Public libraries are free. Most research libraries are free. Of course in the past to see a Des Moines newspaper one had to be in Des Moines. This is true. And microfilm is only at the specific local library. I can borrow from New York State, free, through my library, most old newspapers on microfilm. It is also digitalized on line, free. But if I want to see New Jersey papers in none place, I would have to travel to Trenton and possibly Newark.

So access, free, all these things become relative I guess
Last edited by luckyshow on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luckyshow

Postby John Grasso » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Wasn't the original intent of the Internet to provide free information for all?
John Grasso

Postby luckyshow » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:29 pm

I understand some newspaper archives that charge. Google's didn't, but when it was working I sometimes paid for a page I really wanted to see. They threw out that when it became totally random to actually find anything after they eliminated true searching in it. I subscribe to newspaperarchive. I couldn't afford proquest and they now restrict the historical stuff to some large libraries.

But for me the worst is every two-bit paper charging to see the current news. Since I look at almost every part of the country, if this becomes the norm, my research of new records, etc., will become problematic.

Yes it seemed the internet was free, but in reality they were always trying to find profit in it. So I am unsure it was intended to be free (for long).
luckyshow

Postby luckyshow » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:19 pm

I have found that while Google searches seem to have eliminated the very helpful cache for search results, that yahoo searches have cache. So if anyone ever figures out a way to contact someone at google, you can tell them they lost this customer. Although I haven't found if yahoo has a way to get more than ten results a page, which sucks...
luckyshow

Postby luckyshow » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:36 am

I know few , if any care, but my latest report is that the Google News Archive has now gotten more useless. When I go these to check a mystery, almost every result is a pay site, and absolutely no text is shown anymore. Just the link and <$2.95> As if I am paying 2.95 for 300 results when perhaps none have anything I want.

It isn't at all for research. Maybe it is for genaological research, but not what I do. Not with goodle who never just show results for exactly what you are searching for.

So, they have dropped the "cache" from all their searches, have made google news archives almost totally pointless to use. Is that Google's aim, to drive out all but the simpleminded?
luckyshow

Postby luckyshow » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:52 pm

My newest complaint: In Google News Archive, if I do a search (and I get 100 results a page), at the bottom if I click page 2, or any other page number, I get the same page 1 results. For any search. Every time.

I wrote them but hell if I know if it was sent. It is a ridiculous interface to write them with, at the end with no Send button!.

By the way I found the occasional cache but it is no longer usually even with highlighting....
luckyshow

Postby luckyshow » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:18 pm

Years ago, Proquest had a month long tease of including the historic run of the Hartford Courant and Boston Globe in my library's access. Then removed them and I think I now have to go too Hartford to find it again. I can try inadequate research through the inept Google News Archive search (one can't even access page 2 of any search anymore, the interface is that messed up).

Problem is they don't include every issue which makes adequate research impossible. I want to see issues from 1929. 10/7 10/21 10/28 11/4
And dates in 1928 11/19 11/26

But these seem to not exist on line. Is this Proquest ineptness or Google's.

Does anyone have full Hartford Courant access for 1929? I presume I am inquiring about actual microfilm.. Ir can tell me of availability in the New York area.

Thank you
luckyshow

Return to Off-Topic Discussions