Grinnell

Anything and everything NOT related to the P, the B, or the R in "APBR"

Grinnell

Postby luckyshow » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Here is a list of the last 4 single game scoring record holders for NCAA DIII

138 pts. Jack Taylor, Grinnell (W 179-104) Faith Baptist Bible, 11/20/2012 (52-108 FGs•27-71 threes•7-10 FT•in 36 min) (N.C.A.A. DIII)
89 pts. Griffin Lentsch, Grinnell (W 145-97) at Principia College, 11/19/2011 (27-55 FGs•15-33 threes•20-22 FT)
77 pts. Jeff Clement, Grinnell College (W 149-144) v. Illinois College, 2/18/1998
69 pts. Steve Diekmann, Grinnell College v. Stimpson, 1995

I am unsure the 138 is a NCAA record. Bevo Francis scored 116 against Ashland College in 1953, but was not considered a record by the NCAA because Ashland was a 2 year school, a Junior College.

The next year he scored 113 against Hillsdale, a small Ohio school that was a 4 year college, so that record counted. Although the Small College Division didn't officially exist for a couple more years, and Division II not a designation until the 1970s, this 113 existed as the NCAA record, the Small Division record and still counts as the DII record. (Absolutely nothing of this has been in articles on yesterday's game. Few even noted the guy on the other team who scored 70. Not surprising. Much of modern sports reporting and fandom seems to be based on gambling habits.)

Now yesterday's game was Grinnell, a NCAA DIII school/team, playing against Faith Baptist Bible College, a school from the National Christian College Athletic Association, the little-known NCCAA. So obscure I may not have the exact title correct.
<Faith Baptist Bible College is a member the National Christian College Athletic
Association (NCCAA) Division 2.>

I am unsure they are in either the NCAA at all, or even the NAIA (now almost forgotten since ESPN dropped all minor sporting events so as to bring us 1000 more NCAA games, and this included the NAIA post-season tournament, the nation's oldest.. )

So does this exhibition basketball game even count in official NCAA DIII records, in NCAA records? I used to have a good source at the NCAA but they forced her to charge for any information I might ask about.

The other side reports the story:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/11/21/faith-baptist-bible-college-on-the-losing-end-of-a-record-shattering-basketball-performance/
luckyshow

Re: Grinnell

Postby luckyshow » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:09 pm

The NCAA did write back:
<Faith Baptist Bible College is not an NCAA member institution but the 138 points is still an NCAA record as Grinnell is an NCAA member institution.>

It confuses me because it seems if Indiana played Grinnell and set a record, it wouldn't count.
luckyshow

Re: Grinnell

Postby mtamada » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:08 am

luckyshow wrote:The next year he scored 113 against Hillsdale, a small Ohio school that was a 4 year college, so that record counted.

One small correction: Hillsdale College is in Michigan, not Ohio. It's famous/infamous for being one of the few colleges in the country which refuses to accept Federal financial aid money. By doing so, they avoid being subject to a number of Federal regulations such as non-discrimination, Title IX, etc.

Regarding the NCAA counting Jack Taylor's game as an NCAA record: I presume it would count as the record in an "overall" or "in any game" category? It doesn't sound right to call it a "Div III" record, given that the opponent is not a Div III or even an NCAA school.
mtamada

Return to Off-Topic Discussions