HOF for point shavers?

Anything and everything NOT related to the P, the B, or the R in "APBR"

HOF for point shavers?

Postby luckyshow » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:07 am

If Connie Hawkins is in the HOF, should Bill Spivey or Sherman White, Ralph Beard or Alex Groza also be in it?

Just asking...
luckyshow

Re: HOF for point shavers?

Postby meej » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:49 am

You are right. If we let one guy who did not even play varsity games, we should also induct players who shaved points. The connection is self-evident.
meej

Postby luckyshow » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:43 pm

I appreciate your biting sarcasm.

He took money from Jack Molinas.

The NFL once suspended Frank Filchock for attending a gambler's penthouse party before the NFL championship game. He took no money. The Giants were over two touchdown underdogs. He was banned from the NFL, from American pro football, for over 15 years.

Jack Molinas went to prison, I believe. He was deeply involved in fixing games. Was he really just a nice guy helping a fellow New Yorker?

I fail to see what not playing varsity has to do with anything. Hawkins didn't get in trouble for that. Inexperience isn't a crime. Did Johnny Unitas play varsity football? What does it have to do with this. Molinas went to prison for this one (also including Roger Brown). He was only banned from the NBA for his earlier activities. HAwkins didn't shave points

The 1950 CCNY kids were just as naive as Connie Hawkins was in taking money. I don't know how much ball they played in high school. Did Hawkins play his sophomore year? How do we know what he may have done.
luckyshow

Postby rlee » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Unitas was an outstanding varsity quarterback at University of Louisville
rlee
President

Postby Jay » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:04 pm

In the Wizard of Odds, Molinas was quoted as naming names of players on the Pistons who threw games, namely Foust, Brian and Phillip. He even alluded that the Pistons threw the 1955 series to the Nats. None of these guys (to my knowledge) were ever associated with point shaving, but Phillip is in the HOF. Can you believe Molinas 100%? He was bitter and always thought he was a scapegoat.
Seeking any and all info on Wilmeth Sidat-Singh.

Syracuse Basketball History Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/373471209448074/
Jay

Postby luckyshow » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:43 pm

I think we've entered a different era now, anyway. Where gambling is accepted. So when any fixers or point shavers will be found now, they will be treated as less criminal and more as having a disease. SO it will be accepted as just another "scandal" like taking drugs, or beating a spouse.

Look about us/ Politicians used to destroy gambling machines, even pin ball machines. Now even anti-tax people accept gambling as an acceptable tax on the people, they even promote it with slick advertising to get more folk to join in their numbers games and gambling dens. It shows something about a sort of politics prevalent in this country, though I am unsure what it shows exactly. That moralists have shaky pronciples? Are not really genuine. That the masses don't know their ass from their face? I don't know....
luckyshow

Return to Off-Topic Discussions