Basketball minutiae of the 1980s...

The merger, Kareem, Walton, Dr. J, Magic and Bird

Moderator: Brett

Basketball minutiae of the 1980s...

Postby inallairness » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:15 am

Hey all,

What's your favourite / most-obscure basketball (NBA, NCAA, CBA, etc) -related minutiae of the 1980s? I'd love to learn more about the offbeat, unusual, or simply bizarre happenings that related to a player, team, moment, game, etc. I plan to research them in more depth and provide quick-fire content based on said minutiae. If I use your suggestion, I'll give you a shout-out when it's released. I hope we can get some interesting topics listed here. Here's an example I'll offer:

Michael Jordan broke his wrist in Oct, 1982 (seven months after his game-winner vs Georgetown) - he wore a cast on his (left) wrist and still top-scored (w/ 27p) in a UNC Blue-White exhibition game, just weeks later. This happened just prior to the 1982-83 NCAA season commencing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Adam.
inallairness

Re: Basketball minutiae of the 1980s...

Postby rlee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:20 pm

In the 1980's, two players played against each other in the NBA playoffs who had also played against each other in their state's high school championship final and in an NCAA championship final.
rlee
President

Postby MCT » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:21 pm

rlee wrote:In the 1980's, two players played against each other in the NBA playoffs who had also played against each other in their state's high school championship final and in an NCAA championship final.

I had an idea on this one, two players who I think meet the last two criteria, but I just checked and they don't meet the first one - they never faced off in the NBA playoffs. One of the two players spent only a single season in the NBA, and neither player's team made the playoffs that year.
MCT

Postby rlee » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:33 pm

I'll hold off with the answer for now. Who were your two?
rlee
President

Postby inallairness » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into this!

rlee wrote:In the 1980's, two players played against each other in the NBA playoffs who had also played against each other in their state's high school championship final and in an NCAA championship final.
inallairness

Postby MCT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:42 pm

rlee wrote:I'll hold off with the answer for now. Who were your two?

Patrick Ewing and Dwayne McClain. Both played high school basketball in Massachusetts, and both were in the same year in school. Ewing played for Cambridge Rindge & Latin, which is the public high school that serves the City of Cambridge, just outside Boston. McClain played for Holy Name, a Catholic school in Worcester, in the central part of the state. IIRC, Ewing's CR&L team won the Division I state championship in Ewing's sophomore, junior and senior seasons (1979, 1980, and 1981). In 1980, the team they defeated in the state finals was McClain's Holy Name team.

For college, Ewing went to Georgetown, McClain to Villanova. The two schools faced off in the NCCA Division I championship game in 1985, when Ewing and McClain were seniors. This time, McClain's team obviously came out on top.

McClain and Ewing never faced off in the NBA playoffs, however. McClain only played one year in the NBA - 1985-86, with the Pacers - and neither McClain's Pacers nor Ewing's Knicks made the playoffs that season.
MCT

Postby rlee » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:31 am

In 1980, R&L defeated Worcester North for the state title:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1980/ ... -title-pa/

Want clue(s)?
rlee
President

Postby rlee » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 am

rlee
President

Postby MCT » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:38 pm

rlee wrote:
MCT wrote:I'll hold off with the answer for now. Who were your two?

Patrick Ewing and Dwayne McClain. Both played high school basketball in Massachusetts, and both were in the same year in school. Ewing played for Cambridge Rindge & Latin, which is the public high school that serves the City of Cambridge, just outside Boston. McClain played for Holy Name, a Catholic school in Worcester, in the central part of the state. IIRC, Ewing's CR&L team won the Division I state championship in Ewing's sophomore, junior and senior seasons (1979, 1980, and 1981). In 1980, the team they defeated in the state finals was McClain's Holy Name team.

rlee wrote:In 1980, R&L defeated Worcester North for the state title:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1980/ ... -title-pa/

You know, I've "known" for years that CR&L played Holy Name for the 1980 state title, but it apparently isn't true. I used to have a clipping from the Worcester Telegram listing the Central Mass. district champs for each season, and I could have sworn that it showed Holy Name as the district champ in 1980; that alone wouldn't prove that Holy Name played in the state final, just that they reached the state Final Four, but it was certainly consistent with their having reached the state final. But even that can't be right. If North (as the school is known locally; while there are several communities in Eastern Mass. with schools called "North High", the one in Worcester is the only North High in Central Mass.) played in the state final, they must have been the Central Mass. district champs. I thought I might be mixing it up with one of the other years CR&L won the state title, but that isn't right either. According to the link below, CR&L beat Holyoke for the title in '79, and B.C. High for the title in '81:

http://www.telegram.com/news/20170317/s ... ip-history
MCT

Postby MCT » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:57 pm

The Celtics have never had a player average 30 ppg for a season. Their all-time leader is Larry Bird, with 29.9 ppg in 1987-88.

If Bird had scored five more points on the season, he would have averaged an even 30. (By my math, if Bird had scored just two more points, he would have averaged something that rounded up to 30.0.) As close as he came to averaging 30, he only came that close by scoring 44 points in the final game of the regular season.

In the alternative, on 11/25/87 versus Atlanta, Bird played only 12 minutes and scored just 6 points. I assume he was coming off an injury, as he had not played in the Celtics' previous four games, and played off the bench in this one; it was the only game he played in all season that he didn't start. If Bird hadn't played in that game, he would have averaged 30.2 ppg for the season. Heading onto the final game, he would have needed to score only 25 to keep his average at an even 30 (or 22 to average something that rounded up to 30.0).
MCT

Postby Mike Goodman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:38 pm

That's pretty cool that the C's didn't make a point of getting Bird his 46 or 49 points just to hit 30.0 PPG. And cool that he'd play a short game earlier in the year. I doubt that such a trivial thing would matter to him.
Isaiah Thomas is currently at 29.1 and may hold on to that #2 spot over Havlicek (28.9 in 1971)

Celts are one of the few current franchises without a single player going for 30 ppg
Haywood - 29.99 - Den
Bird - 29.9 - Bos
Stackhouse - 29.8 - Det/FtW
McGinnis - 29.8 - Ind
Aguirre - 29.5 - Dal
... and later expansion teams
`
36% of all statistics are wrong
Mike Goodman

Return to NBA in the 1970s and 1980s