Players returning to a team in a season

All about the 2009-2010 NBA Season

Moderator: Brett

Players returning to a team in a season

Postby John Grasso » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Chris Johnson was just signed by Portland for the remainder of the season.
He played for them earlier this year on a 10 day contract and got into
two games. He then played for Boston on a 10 day contract and appeared in four games. Assuming he gets into another game for Portland this season his season totals will be listed as just between two teams when in reality he played for three teams (although two were the same team).

Were there other NBA players who did this - returned to a team in the same season after having played for another?

I think Herb Williams did so with the Knicks, Raptors and Knicks but off the top of my head I can't think of any others although I'm sure it must have happened before.

Any others?
John Grasso

Postby Mike Goodman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 am

In 2007-08, Bobby Jones played for Den, Mem, Hou, Mia, SA, Den (2 G).
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... elog/2008/
`
36% of all statistics are wrong
Mike Goodman

Postby mtamada » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Mike Goodman wrote:In 2007-08, Bobby Jones played for Den, Mem, Hou, Mia, SA, Den (2 G).
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... elog/2008/

I watched Jones play for the UW, but I overlooked that ultimate journeyman season. Is that a record number of teams for a player in one season? 5, or 6 if we count Denver twice.
mtamada

Postby John Grasso » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:58 pm

mtamada wrote:[
I watched Jones play for the UW, but I overlooked that ultimate journeyman season. Is that a record number of teams for a player in one season? 5, or 6 if we count Denver twice.

Yes, he is in a class by himself with five different NBA teams in one season.
The APBR site has a list of players with most teams in a career and most teams in one season. Looking at it, I found Alex Stivrins who is one of several players with four in one season. Stivrins had two stints with Phoenix that year so he joins Chris Johnson, Herb Williams and Bobby Jones in that category.
John Grasso

Postby John Grasso » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:14 pm

Another in this category is Tom Marshall. In the 1957-58 season he started the season with Cincinnati, was sold to Detroit on 12/10/57, was waived by Detroit on 2/20/58 and claimed by Cincinnati and finished the season with the Royals.
John Grasso

Re: Players returning to a team in a season

Postby MCT » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:12 pm

I've come across another one. In 1989-90 Lewis Lloyd started the season with Houston, subsequently played for Philadelphia, then later returned to Houston again.

At the start of the year, Lloyd was returning to the NBA after an absence of about 2 1/2 seasons due to a drug-related suspension. He appeared for the Rockets in their first three games of the season (11/3/89, 11/4/89 and 11/7/89). He then apparently got injured, and was waived on 12/7/89 without having appeared in any further games.

Lloyd was subsequently signed to a 10-day contract by the 76ers on 1/15/90. He appeared in two games for the 76ers (1/17/90 and 1/20/90) before being released from his contract -- before the 10 days was actually up -- on 1/22/90.

On 2/27/90, the Rockets signed Lloyd to a 10-day contract. They signed him to a second 10-day contract on 3/9/90, then for the remainder of the season on 3/20/90. He appeared in 16 games during his second stint for the Rockets, bringing his season total for Houston to 19, and his overall total (Houston and Philadelphia combined) to 21.
MCT

Postby MCT » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:55 pm

I've found another player who is a slight variation of this. He spent two distinct time periods with a team during the same season, between which he played for a different team. He did not appear in any games during the first time period, however, so he didn't actually have two distinct periods in which he played for that team.

The player is Chris Engler in 1986-87. After having been out of the NBA in 1985-86, Engler signed with the Bucks during the 1986 offseason. At the start of the regular season, he was placed on the injured list. On 11/11/86 -- seven games into the regular season, but without Engler having been activated from the IL or appearing in any games -- the Bucks traded him to the Blazers for a future 2nd round draft pick. After having appeared in 7 games with Portland, Engler was waived on 12/23/86. That looks to have been the deadline after which all contracts become guaranteed for the remainder of the season, with teams then signing players to 10-day contracts if they don't want to make that commitment to a player. There are usually a flurry of waivings right around that date, as teams dump players with nonguaranteed contracts who they don't want to commit to for the entire season. Engler then signed a 10-day contract with the Bucks on 12/26/86, followed by a second 10-day deal with the same team on 1/5/87. Over the course of these two 10-day contracts, Engler appeared in 5 games for Milwaukee. When the second 10-day deal expired, the Bucks did not offer him a contract for the remainder of the season (which is the only way for a team to a retain a player if he has completed two 10-day contracts for that team) because they wanted to use the roster spot to sign John Lucas, who was looking to return to the NBA after a brief exile due to substance abuse issues. Engler was subsequently picked up by the Nets, however, and would finish out the season with them, appearing in 18 games.

For the season as a whole, Engler played in 30 games:
0 in his first stint with the Bucks
7 with the Blazers
5 in his second stint with the Bucks
18 with the Nets

Another oddity with Engler is that, during the 1984-85 season, he spent time with four different teams, but only played for three. He played in 7 games for the Nets, 3 for the Bulls, and 1 for the Bucks. In between his stints with the Bulls (10-day contract) and Bucks (signed with seven games remaining in the regular season), he was with the Clippers on a 10-day contract, but did not get into any games. And before the season started, he had actually been in training camp with yet another team, the Warriors. So between training camp and the end of the season, he was with five different teams, but only played in regular-season games for three of them.
MCT

Postby MCT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:13 pm

MCT wrote:I've found another player who is a slight variation of this. He spent two distinct time periods with a team during the same season, between which he played for a different team. He did not appear in any games during the first time period, however, so he didn't actually have two distinct periods in which he played for that team.

I just came across another example of this, from the current 2014-15 season.

A.J. Price started the season with the Cavaliers. He was on Cleveland's roster for the first two games of the regular season (10/30 and 10/31) but was on the inactive list for both games, so he obviously did not play. Cleveland then waived him on 11/2.

On 11/6, Price signed with the Pacers. The Pacers' 15-man roster was full, but they had been granted a temporary injury exemption by the league, allowing them to sign a 16th player. They used that exemption to sign Price. The exemption was initially good for ten days, but the Pacers were able to get a second exemption for another ten days. Price appeared in all 10 games the Pacers played between 11/7 and 11/26. The exemption then expired, requiring the Pacers to get back down to 15 men for their next game. They did so by waiving Price on 11/28.

Cleveland claimed Price off waivers on 11/30. Over the next five weeks or so, he appeared in 11 games for them. The Cavaliers then waived Price on 1/7, which was the contract-guarantee deadline for the season. The Cavs had made two trades over the previous few days, but Price wasn't actually waived to make room for any new acquisitions. Before he was waived, the team's roster stood at 15, at but not over the limit. Cleveland management presumably didn't want their last roster spot to be taken up by a player whose contract would be guaranteed for the season, in case the opportunity to pick up another player they liked better came along.

So far, Price has played in 21 games this season:
0 in his first stint with the Cavaliers
10 with the Pacers
11 in his second stint with the Cavaliers
MCT

Return to The Current NBA Season