Wives as Acting Governors?

Anything and everything NOT related to the P, the B, or the R in "APBR"

Wives as Acting Governors?

Postby cagewriter » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:25 am

In the U.S., the first female governors were all wives who became acting governors of states when their husbands either died or became incapacitated (e.g. Lurleen Wallace). Why did this practice/states' law originate, given that states have long had lieutenant governors and state attorneys general, who are often elected as party of a ticket?

It seems there would have been experience issues that prevented this from ever occurring- I felt so even when I was a kid.
cagewriter

Postby Keith Ellis » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:33 pm

Bijan's question caught my attention as a pet peeve of mine is the pass Mrs Clinton is receiving for her 'experience' as an unelected First Lady. But Lurleen Wallace stands out not for serving during husband George's incapacitation -- he was shot in Maryland by Bremer while married to 2nd wife Cornelia.

No, Lurleen Wallace was elected Governor of Alabama because her husband was ineligible to run for re-election. Similar to the Clintons today, George boasted that he could control the government simply by electing his wife as a surrogate.

Another Southern belle like Hillary & Lurleen, Ma Ferguson, had accomplished a similar trick twice in the 1920s & 30s. The Fergusons were the original Texas Two-Step, giving their state a pair of Governors for the price of one.
Keith Ellis

Return to Off-Topic Discussions