primary home arena

primary home arena

Postby jkubatko » Wed May 21, 2008 1:02 am

I am compiling an arenas database and one of the things I am trying to do is identify each team's primary home arena on a season-by-season basis. In most cases this is easy, but there are some difficult cases. For example, the ABA's Carolina Cougars played in various locations throughout the state of North Carolina, but in each season I believe that they played more games in the Greensboro Coliseum than any other arena, so I made the Greensboro Coliseum their primary home arena.

Here are the cases I am having trouble with:

1952-53 to 1961-62 Philadelphia Warriors and 1963-64 to 1966-67 Philadelphia 76ers

The Warriors and 76ers played in both the Convention Hall and the Philadelphia Arena. Which arena was used more often?

1970-71 to 1975-76 Virginia Squires

The Squires were another "regional" franchise. I know the Squires played more games in Norfolk than any other city, but which arena was used more often, the ODU Fieldhouse or the Norfolk Scope?

1967-68 to 1972-73 Dallas/Texas Chaparrals

The Chaparrals played in both the Moody Coliseum and Dallas Convention Center Arena (as well as a few other arenas when they were yet another "regional" franchise in 1970-71). Which arena should be classified as their primary arena each of these seasons?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Regards,
Justin Kubatko
Basketball-Reference.com
jkubatko

Postby Pato » Wed May 21, 2008 11:20 pm

I tried many times to identify the arenas in every game and that was impossible. I also tried to find where were played the neutral games in the cities where there wasn't a team, but never could find out that (or like where played the Lakers when they came back to played some games in MPLS after leaving to LA... in the MPLS Auditorium or at the Armory?).
So, good luck.

Besides that, anytime you'll plan to search for another season boxscores (like you do in the 1969/70 season, let me know, maybe I can help).
Pato

Return to Stadiums and Arenas