Purity Bakers photo

Topics related to the USA's WNBA and other women's pro leagues

Purity Bakers photo

Postby luckyshow » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:46 am

This was in the El Paso Herald Post, Jan. 28, 1939
http://www.luckyshow.org/betabel/basketball/Purity%20Bakers.jpg

OK....which direction is left to right? Counterclockwise? Clockwise?.

There seemed to be only one other team photo, the thumbnail on newspaperarchive.com shows it. They are sitting conventionally in that one. But when the image appears all the photos on that page are just black in the image.
http://newspaperarchive.com/us/texas/el-paso/el-paso-herarld-post/1939/03-20/page-8?tag=basketball+marjorie+rains&rtserp=tags/basketball?pep=marjorie-rains&pr=30#14099760792874&iiploaded=true

I have no idea why I can even see newspaperarchive downloads, so I don't know of the other options they used to have are all no longer there. Those were better interfaces. The bottom of the page can't be seen when I zoom up . Even at the library so it isn't my ancient computer....

I am trying to determine which one is Marjorie Rains.

What a ditz, huh?
luckyshow

Re: Purity Bakers photo

Postby Jon Scott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:20 pm

I no longer subscribe to newspaperarchive, but have noticed that fairly recently there is access to some of its content. It looks to me like they have made some limited content available while still blacking out key non-advertisement images etc. Better than nothing I suppose.

I assume the images are available to anyone with a subscription. Or since you know where it's at, could get the El Paso Herald via interlibrary loan etc. or if someone has access to a library that carries it convince them to look it up for you.

The circular photo I agree is strange. in how they did it. Why they didn't just say clockwise from the top, I don't know.
Jon Scott

Postby luckyshow » Sun May 03, 2015 10:14 pm

newspaperarchives did allow a few views for a few months, then reduced it to just one. But now they don't show any views at all unless you pay/subscribe. Plus they don't even show the text only mishmash anymore, like newspapers.com still does. So if you get a hit on newspaperarchives the only clue are the words in the hit itself on the page you scroll down. You are out of luck.
luckyshow

Postby luckyshow » Sun May 03, 2015 10:17 pm

It says left to right from the coach's left hand. So I think clockwise...
luckyshow

Return to Women's Pro Basketball