1980-81 San Antonio Spurs Games Played/Started & Transact's

The merger, Kareem, Walton, Dr. J, Magic and Bird

Moderator: Brett

1980-81 San Antonio Spurs Games Played/Started & Transact's

Postby MCT » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:18 pm

This is the thirteenth of a planned series of threads analyzing games played, games started and transactions for the 1980-81 season. Before reading any further, see the introductory thread below:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4961

SAN ANTONIO SPURS – PART I

SEASON OVERVIEW

The Spurs had a 52-30 record. They finished first in the Midwest Division, and were the #2 seed in the Western Conference playoffs. (The Spurs actually had only the third best record in the conference, behind the Suns and Lakers, but the two division winners were guaranteed the top two seeds.)

As a #2 seed, the Spurs got a bye for the First Round of the playoffs. In the Conference Semifinals, they lost to the Rockets, 4-3. They therefore played a total of 7 playoff games.

The Spurs used 14 different players for the season, three above the minimum.

ROSTER AND TRANSACTIONS

OPENING NIGHT ROSTER

Dave Corzine
Mike Gale
George Gervin
Paul Griffin
George Johnson
Reggie Johnson
Johnny Moore
Mark Olberding
Kevin Restani
John Shumate
James Silas
*Michael Wiley

*I believe that Wiley started the season on the injured list; see the Notes/Discrepancies section below.

Note: during the 1980 offseason, the Spurs had signed George Johnson, formerly of the Nets, as a Veteran Free Agent. As of the start of the 1980-81 regular season, compensation for Johnson had not yet been settled.

IN-SEASON TRANSACTIONS

In the list below, anything which is underlined is the subject of discrepancies or guesswork, or is the result of further research beyond my usual sources.

10/29/80 – Sent a 1981 1st round pick to the Nets as compensation for the earlier signing of George Johnson as a Veteran Free Agent.

11/24/80 – Traded John Shumate to the Sonics for a 1981 3rd round pick and cash; activated Michael Wiley from the injured list.

12/1/80 – The November 24 trade involving John Shumate was voided due to an issue with Shumate’s physical condition.

12/2/80 – Waived John Shumate.

12/19/80 – Traded Mike Gale and a future 1st round pick to the Blazers for Ron Brewer.

2/8/81 – Placed Kevin Restani on the injured list; signed Gus Gerard to a 10-day contract.

2/19/81 – Signed Gus Gerard to a second 10-day contract.

3/2/81 – Activated Kevin Restani from the injured list.

NOTES/DISCREPANCIES

George Johnson compensation:

My source for the Nets receiving compensation for Johnson on 10/29/80 is the transaction column in the following day’s Globe. Other sources either don’t specify a date or seem to assume that compensation was sent on the same day Johnson signed with the Spurs (which was 8/15/80).

Michael Wiley on the injured list:

Wiley did not appear in any games until late November, and there would not seem to have been any room for him on the Spurs’ active roster until John Shumate was traded on 11/24/80. My initial guess was that Wiley was on the injured list until then, but this proved difficult to confirm. None of my usual sources, not even the Globe, have any documentation of Wiley being on the IL. I couldn’t find anything in the Google News Archive, either.

Finally, I came across a UPI wire service story posted online at http://www.upi.com/Archives, which I found via a Google web search. That story, covering the 11/24/80 John Shumate trade, indicates that Wiley started the season on the injured list after suffering a left knee bruise in the Spurs’ final exhibition game, and that he was being activated to fill Shumate’s roster spot following the trade.

John Shumate trade:

After being traded to the Sonics on 11/24/80, Shumate was returned to the Spurs on 12/1/80. While it’s not unheard of for a trade to be rescinded, this one was unusual because the trade wasn’t reversed until a week later, and Shumate actually appeared in a couple of games for the Sonics during the interim. Shumate’s return to the Spurs was reported in the transactions column in the 12/2 Globe, and the Google News Archive has reports covering it from the 12/2 editions of several papers. The most extensive article in the Archive, from the Miami News, states that “the deal hinged on Shumate’s passing an extensive physical, which began Friday [11/28] and concluded yesterday [12/1]”. The article notes that Shumate “suffers from recurring blood clots in the lungs”, and that the Sonics’ team doctor “didn’t feel (Shumate) was ready to play”.

At first glance, it seems very odd to rescind a trade for a player not passing a physical 1) a week after the trade occurred, and 2) after the player has already appeared in games for his new team. The comments about Shumate needing to pass an “extensive physical” make me think this was something special negotiated as part of the trade agreement between the two teams, however, not your standard physical for a newly acquired player. Shumate had experienced major health issues in the past, having previously missed three entire seasons during his college and NBA careers.

Receiving Shumate back left the Spurs with one too many players, since they had filled his roster spot after trading him. The Spurs got their roster back down to 11 by waiving Shumate the following day, on 12/2. The Spurs didn’t play on 12/1, but they did on 12/2. In the past, I’ve suggested that at this time teams didn’t need to make room for a newly acquired player until their next game, and that may have been what happened here. Whatever the issue was with Shumate’s health, it was apparently serious enough to scare other teams from picking him up. Even though he had been starting for the Spurs up until the time of the trade, Shumate never played in the NBA again after the Spurs waived him.

It is well documented that the Sonics gave up a 3rd round pick and cash to get Shumate. This is how the trade is reported in the NBA Register, in the transactions column in the following day’s Globe, and in several other newspapers in the Google News Archive. There are some wonky descriptions in various other sources, however:

--b.r.com mentions the pick but not the cash. In my experience, it is fairly common for descriptions of trades to omit “minor” elements of the trade, and b-r.com seems to do this more than most. I suspect that is what is happening here.

--The Spurs Media Guide oddly mentions the cash but not the pick. I am thinking they may have omitted the pick under the theory that the pick was never exercised. Note that there is no mention of the trade subsequently being reversed, so omitting the pick may be correcting for the fact that the Spurs didn’t get it in the end. But I would think the same would apply to the cash; I presume it was returned when the trade was voided, along with the pick.

--pst.com hedges its bets by having two different sets of entries for this trade, one showing both the pick and the cash, one showing cash only (the latter likely sourced from the Spurs Media Guide). There are then two sets of entries showing both versions of the trade being rescinded on 12/1.

--When the trade was voided, it’s b-r.com’s turn to have two sets of entries. One version shows the 11/24 trade in reverse on 12/1, with no explicit statement that this represents a voiding of the original trade, followed by the Spurs waiving Shumate on 12/2 (which I believe is correct). The other version shows the Sonics waiving Shumate on 12/1 (which I don’t think is correct).

Draft pick in Gale/Brewer trade:

Although modern reference sources typically show the 1st round pick going from the Spurs to the Blazers in this trade as “1982”, the write-up in the Globe’s 12/20 transaction column states that it was in “either 1982 or 1983”. Several other newspapers in the Google News Archive also have transaction columns on 12/20 with similar wording. An AP wire service article on the trade, which the Google News Archive has in the Reading (Pa.) Eagle and Schenectady (N.Y.) Gazette, provides a more detailed explanation. The pick was Top-7 protected in 1982. If the Spurs’ pick fell into the top seven that year, the Spurs could defer delivering the pick to the Blazers until 1983. The Spurs’ 1982 pick ended up being #16 overall, so the Blazers got that year’s pick.

Kevin Restani on the injured list:

The Spurs signed Gus Gerard to a 10-day contract on 2/8/81. They must have placed someone on the injured list on or shortly before that date. While I have no documentation of such a transaction, by all appearances the player in question was Kevin Restani. Restani had not played since 1/25, and would not play again until 3/4. The Google News Archive has blurbs on the Gerard signing in two newspapers from 2/9, the Milwaukee Journal and the Milwaukee Sentinel, which indicate that Gerard was being signed to replace Restani. The articles do not explicitly state that Restani was on the IL, but they indicate that he was recovering from injuries sustained in an automobile accident that happened on 1/28/81.

Several articles in the Google News Archive between 1/29 and 2/4 provide details on the accident, an article from the Sentinel on 2/4 in particular. Restani was leaving a bar about five minutes from his house in San Antonio, where he had attended a sendoff party for a friend. As he was driving across the parking lot, two vehicles cut across the parking lot, traveling at high speed. The first vehicle broadsided Restani’s Jeep, overturning it and leaving Restani pinned beneath it. Restani suffered five broken ribs, lung damage and burns, and spent several days in intensive care. The driver of the vehicle that struck Restani’s remained at the scene and told police that he had been driving the way he was because the driver of the second vehicle was chasing him, armed with a gun. Police later apprehended the driver of the second vehicle (which turned out to be stolen) following a chase.

I don’t have any documentation of Restani being activated from the IL, but this apparently happened sometime between 3/2 (when Gerard’s second 10-day contract expired) and 3/4 (when Restani made his first appearance since the accident). I have used 3/2 since it seems like the most likely date.

Gus Gerard:

The Spurs Media Guide, pst.com, b.r com, and reports in the Google News Archive (the Milwaukee Journal and Milwaukee Sentinel, also cited above in the discussion of Kevin Restani) all state that Gerard signed a 10-day contract with the Spurs on 2/8/81. Note that there are two sections of the 2014-15 Spurs Media Guide that contain historical transaction information. The first is the “History” section, which, like most NBA teams’ media guides, has a list of all-time transactions, organized year by year. The second is the “Former Spurs” section, which has an all-time player register, with transaction information for each player. Both sections of the Media Guide state the above information.

The “Former Spurs” section of the Spurs Media Guide states that Gerard signed a second 10-day contract with the Spurs on 2/19/81. I did not find this in any other source; it isn’t even in the History section of the Spurs Media Guide. It is consistent with Gerard’s appearances in the TSN box scores (he continues to appear in box scores beyond the point when the initial 10-day contract he signed on 2/8 would have expired) and with other transaction information (Gerard being “released” about 10 days later; see the next paragraph), however.

The History section of the Spurs Media Guide, as well as b-r.com, report that Gerard was “released” on 3/2/81. I believe that this is referring to Gerard not being re-signed by the Spurs when his second 10-day contract expired. The Former Spurs section of the Media Guide, as well as pst.com, state that Gerard was “waived” on 3/2/81. I think this is referring to the same thing, but I don’t think “waived” is the right description. A player whose 10-day contract expires simply becomes a free agent who can sign with any team, and does not pass through waivers.

The 1981-82 NBA Register simply shows Gerard signing with the Spurs on 2/8/81. There is no mention of it being a 10-day contract, no mention of any subsequent contracts, and no indication that Gerard subsequently left (implying that he was with the team through the end of the season). As we’ve seen in previous installments, this is how Registers from this era typically handled things when a player initially joined a team on a 10-day deal but was eventually signed for the remainder of the season. Based on other sources, though, that’s not what happened with Gerard. He was kept around for two 10-day contracts, then let go, and did not finish the season with the Spurs. I would describe the Register’s write-up as, at best, incomplete.

The transaction column in the Globe did not report on any of Gerard’s transactions with the Spurs.

GAMES STARTED INFO

GAMES STARTED INFO

MEDIA GUIDE

As far as I can see, the 2014-15 Spurs Media Guide has no games started information for the 1980-81 season. In the history section, games started information only goes back as far as the 1988-89 season. So for the 1980-81 Spurs, we will need to rely solely on the TSN box scores.

TSN BOX SCORES

All but two of the TSN regular season box scores for the 1980-81 Spurs appear to list the players in “starters first” F-F-C-G-G order. The two exceptions were games on 11/26/80 and 2/15/81.

-- In the 11/26/80 box score, the Spurs players are clearly listed in descending order of points scored.

--In the 2/15/81 box score, the first five players look like the expected starters, but with center George Johnson in the fifth position rather than the expected third position.

Three of the five starters are consistent in all of the games surrounding the one on 11/26/80 (Olberding at one forward slot, George Johnson at center, Gervin at one guard slot), so I am assuming that those three players started the game on 11/26. The other two positions are a bit more complicated. Up until the previous game, the other starting forward slot had consistently been occupied by Shumate, but he was traded on 11/24, so he couldn’t have started on 11/26. For the next six games after 11/26, Griffin took over the slot, so I am assuming that Griffin started on 11/26 as well. The normal starter at the other guard slot was Silas, but he had not played in the previous three games, so Moore had started instead. Silas returned to action on 11/26, and was definitely in the starting lineup by the next game after that. The question is whether Silas started on 11/26, or came off the bench for a game to get back into the swing of things (a common practice at the time). With the information at my disposal, either answer is just going to be a guess. Since Silas appears to have started every other game he played in, I’ll go with Silas as the starter.

For the game on 2/15/81, I am assuming that the first five players listed are the starters, at their usual positions. These players would have been my best guesses as to who started this game even if the box score gave no clue as to who the starters may have been.

NOTES/DISCREPANCIES

From the TSN box scores, after making the assumptions discussed above, I am getting the following games started totals for the season:

Gervin 82
G. Johnson 82
Olberding 82
Silas 75
R. Johnson 52
Shumate 22
Griffin 7
Moore 6
Brewer 1
Corzine 1

As with the other teams for which we have no media guide numbers, I’m pretty confident that the games started numbers I’m coming up with are at least good estimates. But there are a few anomalies in the TSN boxes that I wish I had a media guide to square up with. Who really started on 11/26/80, Moore or Silas? Am I correct in assuming that Griffin also started on 11/26/80? Why would Dave Corzine have started at forward instead of Reggie Johnson on 1/16/81? Without media guide numbers to compare to, it’s hard to hold my games started numbers out as exact.

PLAYOFFS

As far as I can see, the Spurs Media Guide does not have games started stats for the playoffs.

The Spurs actually have a playoff game whose TSN box score doesn’t appear to list the players in “starters first” F-F-C-G-G order, the first time we’ve encountered that. The game is question was on 4/14/81, Game 5 of the series against Houston.

The six playoff box scores that do appear to list the players in “starters first” order show the starters as the same five players who started for most of the regular season. While we don’t have any media guide numbers to check it against, I am assuming this is accurate, as there seems no reason to think it isn’t.

I am assuming that these same five players also started the game on 4/14/81. The first four players in the 4/14 box score match (R. Johnson, Olberding, G. Johnson, Silas); the fifth is Corzine (at guard), which makes no sense; and the sixth is Gervin. I suspect that Corzine and Gervin are simply listed out of order.
Last edited by MCT on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
MCT

Re: 1980-81 San Antonio Spurs Games Played/Started & Transac

Postby MCT » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:21 pm

SAN ANTONIO SPURS – PART II

PLAYER INFORMATION

Players are listed based on a snapshot as of late February, after Kevin Restani had returned to the active roster.

GEORGE GERVIN

History: Began major league career in ABA, January 1973. Entered NBA with Spurs via NBA-ABA merger, 1976.

Games Played (Regular Season 82 G, 33.7 MPG; Playoffs 7 G, 39.1 MPG): Gervin appeared in every game the Spurs played.

Games Started (Regular Season: 82; Playoffs: 7): Gervin started every game the Spurs played.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Guard-Forward. Primary position switches back and forth between SF and SG, with SG predominant in the later part of his career. All seasons from 1979-80 on are shown as SG, including 1980-81.

JAMES SILAS

History: Began pro career in ABA, 1972. Entered NBA with Spurs via NBA-ABA merger, 1976.

Games Played (Regular Season 75 G, 27.4 MPG; Playoffs 7 G, 23.0 MPG): The seven games in which Silas did not appear were three consecutive games from 11/18/80 through 11/22/80; two consecutive games on 1/11/81 & 1/14/81; 2/20/81; and 3/29/81 (last game of regular season).

Games Started (Regular Season: 75; Playoffs: 7): Based on the TSN box scores and the assumptions discussed earlier, Silas started every game he played in.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Guard. Primary position is shown as PG for most seasons of career, including 1980-81. Two seasons are shown as SG (his first season in the ABA, 1972-73, and his last season in the NBA, 1981-82).

MARK OLBERDING

History: Began pro career in ABA, 1975. Entered NBA with Spurs via NBA-ABA merger, 1976.

Games Played (Regular Season 82 G, 29.4 MPG; Playoffs 7 G, 36.3 MPG): Olberding appeared in every game the Spurs played.

Games Started (Regular Season: 82; Playoffs: 7): Olberding started every game the Spurs played.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Forward. Primary position is shown as PF for most seasons of career, but a few seasons are shown as SF, including 1980-81. Other seasons shown as SF include 1979-80 and the portion of the 1975-76 season Olberding spent with the San Diego Sails.

GEORGE JOHNSON

History: 5th round pick of Bulls in 1970. Signed as Veteran Free Agent, August 1980 (compensation owed to Nets).

Games Played (Regular Season 82 G, 23.6 MPG; Playoffs 7 G, 23.6 MPG): Johnson appeared in every game the Spurs played.

Games Started (Regular Season: 82; Playoffs: 7): Johnson started every game the Spurs played.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Center-Forward. Primary position is shown as C for all seasons of career.

REGGIE JOHNSON

History: 1st round pick of Spurs in 1980.

Games Played (Regular Season 79 G, 21.7 MPG; Playoffs 7 G, 32.0 MPG): The three games in which Johnson did not appear were on 10/11/80, 10/16/80, and 11/12/80. The games on 10/11 and 10/16 were the second and fourth games of the regular season.

Games Started (Regular Season: 52; Playoffs: 7): Johnson came off the bench for the first two months of the season, then moved into the starting lineup on 12/9/80. From that point, based on the TSN box scores, he started 52 of the 53 remaining games of the regular season, and all 7 playoff games. The only game after 12/9/80 that the TSN boxes show Johnson not starting is on 1/16/81, when Dave Corzine is shown starting in his place. Why Johnson wouldn’t have started that game is not apparent to me, as he did play in that game.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Forward-Center. Primary position is shown as PF for three of his four NBA seasons, including 1980-81; the remaining season, 1982-83, is shown as SF.

DAVE CORZINE

History: 1st round pick of Bullets in 1978. Acquired in trade with Bullets, September 1980.

Games Played (Regular Season 82 G, 23.9 MPG; Playoffs 7 G, 23.0 MPG): Corzine appeared in every game the Spurs played.

Games Started (Regular Season: 1; Playoffs: 0): If the TSN box scores can be trusted, Corzine started at power forward on 1/16/81 in place of regular starter Reggie Johnson. Why Johnson wouldn’t have started that game is not apparent to me, as he did play in that game.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Center. Primary position is shown as C for all seasons of career.

PAUL GRIFFIN

History: 5th round pick of Jazz in 1976. Acquired from Jazz in free agent compensation transaction, June 1979.

Games Played (Regular Season 82 G, 23.5 MPG; Playoffs 7 G, 26.1 MPG): Griffin appeared in every game the Spurs played.

Games Started (Regular Season: 7; Playoffs: 0): Based on the TSN box scores and the assumptions discussed earlier, Griffin started seven games, which were seven consecutive games from 11/26/80 through 12/8/80. These games fall in between the point when John Shumate (who had been starting) was traded and the point when Reggie Johnson moved into the starting lineup.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Forward-Center. Primary position is shown as PF for all seasons of career, including 1980-81, except for one (1979-80, which is shown as C).

RON BREWER

History: 1st round pick of Blazers in 1978. Acquired in trade with Blazers, December 1980.

Brewer started the season with the Blazers, but was traded to the Spurs on 12/19/80 for Mike Gale and a future 1st round pick.

Games Played (Regular Season 46 G, 19.7 MPG; Playoffs 7 G, 16.9 MPG): The Spurs played a game on the day of the Gale-Brewer trade (12/19/80) in which neither player appeared. After that game, the Spurs had 46 regular-season games remaining. Brewer played in all of them (making his team debut on 12/21/80), as well as all seven of the Spurs’ playoff games. Brewer had played in 29 games for the Blazers prior to the trade, giving him a total of 75 regular-season games played for the year.

Games Started (Regular Season: 1; Playoffs: 0): The TSN box scores show Brewer making one start for the Spurs, which was on 2/20/81. Brewer took the place of regular starter James Silas, who did not play in that game.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Guard. Primary position is shown as SG for all seasons of career.

JOHNNY MOORE

History: 2nd round pick of Sonics in 1979 (rights traded to Spurs shortly after draft). Signed as a free agent, June 1980. (Note: Moore had been cut by the Spurs in training camp in 1979, so even though he had come out of college a year earlier, he had no regular-season NBA experience prior to this season.)

Games Played (Regular Season 82 G, 19.2 MPG; Playoffs 7 G, 17.7 MPG): Moore appeared in every game the Spurs played.

Games Started (Regular Season: 6; Playoffs: 0): Based on the TSN box scores and the assumptions discussed earlier, Moore started six games, which were six of the seven games regular starter James Silas did not play in (three consecutive games from 11/18/80 through 11/22/80; two consecutive games on 1/11/81 & 1/14/81; and 3/29/81, which was the last game of the regular season). Moore did not start the game that Silas missed on 2/20/81, even though Moore played in that game. Ron Brewer started instead.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Guard. Primary position is shown as PG for all seasons of career.

KEVIN RESTANI

History: 3rd round pick of Cavaliers in 1974 (rights traded to Bucks shortly after draft). Acquired in trade with Bucks, August 1979.

Games Played (Regular Season 64 G, 15.6 MPG; Playoffs 3 G, 3.7 MPG): The eighteen regular-season games in which Restani did not appear were on 11/13/80, 1/11/81, and sixteen consecutive games from 1/29/81 through 3/1/81. The 16-game stretch consisted of the last game before the All-Star break and the first 15 games after it. As discussed earlier, I believe that Restani was placed on the injured list for most of that 16-game stretch (from approximately 2/8/81 through 3/2/81), with the Spurs signing Gus Gerard to a pair of 10-day contracts to temporarily fill Restani’s roster spot. After returning to action on 3/4, Restani played in every remaining regular-season game, but only appeared in three of the Spurs’ seven playoff games. These were Games 2, 3 & 7 of the series against the Rockets. In those three games, Restani totaled just eleven minutes played.

Games Started (Regular Season: 0; Playoffs: 0): Restani did not start any games.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Forward-Center. Primary position is shown as PF for most seasons of career, but is SF for two seasons, including 1980-81 (the other is 1979-80).

MICHAEL WILEY

History: 2nd round pick of Spurs in 1980.

Games Played (Regular Season 33 G, 8.2 MPG; Playoffs 3 G, 1.7 MPG): Wiley is credited with appearing in 33 regular season games, but I only noted him in 32 TSN box scores. b-r.com’s game log feature also shows Wiley in only 32 box scores. It is possible that Wiley was omitted from one box score in which he did not compile any stats that would have been shown in the box score.

As discussed earlier, Wiley apparently started the season on the injured list, and was not activated until John Shumate was traded on 11/24/80. The Spurs had 60 regular-season games remaining at the point, of which Wiley appeared in a little more than half. Wiley appears in the TSN box scores for 11 of his first 17 games with the Spurs, then just 2 of the next 13 games (12/30/80 through 1/24/81), then eight consecutive games (1/25/81 through 2/12/81), then 11 of the final 22 games of the season. Wiley appeared in three of the Spurs’ seven playoff games. These were Games 1, 2 & 3 of the series against the Rockets. In those three games, Wiley totaled just five minutes played.

Games Started (Regular Season: 0; Playoffs: 0): Wiley did not start any games.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Forward. Primary position is shown as PF for all seasons of career.

NO LONGER WITH TEAM:

MIKE GALE

History: Began pro career in ABA, 1971. Entered NBA with Spurs via NBA-ABA merger, 1976.

Gale started the season with the Spurs, but was traded to the Blazers on 12/19/80 with a future 1st round pick for Ron Brewer.

Games Played (Regular Season 35 G, 18.2 MPG): Gale appeared in the first 35 games the Spurs played, a stretch running through 12/17/80. The Spurs’ next game was on the day of the Gale-Brewer trade (12/19/80); neither Gale nor Brewer appeared in that game. After the trade, Gale played in an additional 42 games for the Blazers, giving him a total of 77 games played for the year.

Games Started (Regular Season: 0): Gale did not start any games.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Guard. Primary position switches back and forth between SG and PG, with SG predominant in the middle part of his career and PG predominant in the later part. All seasons from 1979-80 on are shown as PG, including 1980-81.

JOHN SHUMATE

History: 1st round pick of Suns in 1974. Acquired in trade with Rockets, January 1980.

Shumate started the season with the Spurs, but was traded to the Sonics on 11/24/80 for a 3rd round pick and cash. As discussed earlier, the trade was voided on 12/1/80 due to an issue with Shumate’s physical condition. The Spurs then waived Shumate on 12/2/80.

Games Played (Regular Season 22 G, 23.6 MPG): Shumate played in the first 22 games of the season for the Spurs, a stretch running through 11/22/81. During his brief stay with the Sonics, Shumate played in an additional 2 games, giving him a total of 24 games played for the year. Shumate did not appear in any further games for the Spurs after he was returned. The Spurs did not play on the day Shumate was returned (12/1), and they apparently waived him prior to their next game on 12/2 to keep their roster at the 11-man minimum.

Games Started (Regular Season: 22): Shumate started all 22 games he played for the Spurs.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Forward-Center. Primary position is shown as PF for all seasons of career.

GUS GERARD

History: Began pro career in ABA, 1974. Signed to a 10-day contract, February 1981.

Gerard started the season with the Kings, but was waived in late December. He was with the Spurs on a pair of 10-day contracts between 2/8/81 and 3/2/81, while Kevin Restani was apparently on the injured list. Gerard was not retained after the second 10-day contract expired, as Restani was ready to return at that point.

Games Played (Regular Season 11 G, 11.7 MPG): During the period when Gerard was on the Spurs’ roster, the team played 12 games. Gerard appeared in every game but one, which was on 2/11/81 (Gerard’s second game on the roster). Gerard had appeared in 16 games for the Kings earlier in the season, before they waived him; between the Kings and the Spurs combined, he appeared in a total of 27 games for the season.

Games Started (Regular Season: 0): Gerard did not start any games.

b-r.com position info: Position in old b-r.com header is listed as Forward-Guard. Primary position is shown as SF for all seasons of career.
Last edited by MCT on Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MCT

Postby MCT » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:22 pm

SAN ANTONIO SPURS – PART III

PLAYERS BY POSITION

STARTERS

The Spurs had a stable starting lineup throughout the season at four positions: George Johnson at center; Mark Olberding at one forward position; and George Gervin and James Silas at guard. At the other forward position, John Shumate started for about the first month and half of the season, then was traded. After a brief period with Paul Griffin as the starter, Reggie Johnson took over in early December and held down the regular starter’s role for the remainder of the year.

As with our last team, how the forwards and guards break down in terms of PF/SF and PG/SG is in interesting matter. At forward, b-r.com shows Reggie Johnson as the PF (Shumate and Griffin are listed as PFs as well) and Olberding as the SF. It seems to me that Johnson and Olberding were both really PFs. For that matter, the same was true of the reserves who played behind them. The Spurs were apparently pursuing a strategy of playing big, PF-ish players at both forward positions and not using a traditional SF. The team’s corps of centers and forwards were promoted as “The Bruise Brothers”.

The only two seasons b-r.com has Olberding listed as an SF are 1979-80 and 1980-81. Looking over Olberding’s stats, I notice that he racked up the highest assist totals of his career during those two years. The contrast with early seasons of his career in particular is quite stark. This is consistent with the idea that he was playing a slightly different role during these two seasons, perhaps playing farther away from the basket. Maybe to the extent that the Spurs sometimes needed one of the Bruise Brothers to take on a somewhat SF-like role, in order to match up with their opponents, that player was Olberding. In any event, I won’t argue with b-r.com’s PF/SF designations.

In the backcourt, b-r.com has Silas as the PG and Gervin as the SG. That makes sense, as Silas is listed as a PG for the majority of the seasons of his career (all except his first and last, when he’s listed as an SG), while Gervin was clearly a wing. I’m intrigued by Silas’ assist totals, though. Despite all those seasons where he’s listed as a PG, he only reached 400 assists once. In 1980-81, Silas had just 285 assists (3.8 per game). Gervin had even fewer, 260 (3.2 per game). While I agree with labeling Silas as the PG, this offense doesn’t seem to have really had a conventional PG setup. As Gervin and Silas were by far the two leading scorers on the team, I take it that both were looking for their own shot first, and to assist second. Interestingly, the team leader in assists was backup point guard Johnny Moore, with 387 (4.5 per game, in only 19. 2 minutes per game). When Moore was on the court, it looks the Spurs ran a more conventional PG setup.

The Spurs ran a deep rotation in which the starters didn’t play especially heavy minutes. George Gervin was the only player on the team to average over 30 mpg during the regular season (33.7). At center and power forward, it looks like the Spurs had more of a platoon than a traditional starter/backup arrangement. In both cases, the primary backups actually played slightly more minutes than the starters did.

RESERVES

The Spurs’ reserve rotation included five players, one for each position. The two who played the most minutes were the reserves at center and power forward, Dave Corzine (23.9 mpg) and Paul Griffin (23.5 mpg). As noted above, the Spurs had more of a platoon arrangement at these positions than a traditional starter/backup setup, accounting for the heavy minutes played by these two. At center, Corzine and starter George Johnson had identical minutes per game numbers, with Corzine actually playing 25 more total minutes than Johnson in the same number of games. At power forward, Griffin played 214 total minutes (1.8 per game) more than starter Reggie Johnson, although Johnson’s numbers may have been pulled down a little by the fact that he didn’t start for the entire season. In the playoffs, Johnson’s minutes per game were significantly higher than in the regular season (32.0 vs 21.7).

Next come the backcourt reserves, SG Ron Brewer (19.7 mpg) and PG Johnny Moore (19.2 mpg). The last player in the rotation was forward Kevin Restani (15.6 mpg). Restani only played in 64 games, but that was mainly due to an injury that kept him out of the lineup from late January to early March. When healthy, he was an everyday player. Restani played in every regular season game after he returned from his injury, but it’s possible that his minutes dropped. He was certainly out of the rotation in the playoffs, when he saw just 11 minutes of action in three games. Much like Mark Olberding, Restani looks to me like a PF, in keeping with the Spurs’ “Bruise Brothers” strategy, but b-r.com lists him as an SF in 1979-80 and 1980-81. I don’t know how much of an SF-like role Restani took on during that period, but based on his minutes played, he does look to have been Olberding’s backup in 1980-81. Since Olberding was nominally the starting SF, I guess it makes sense to list Restani as an SF as well. In the playoffs, with Restani hardly playing, Olberding’s minutes were up quite a bit compared to the regular season (36.3 vs 29.4).

The last player on the bench was clearly Michael Wiley, who is shown as yet another PF. From the time he was added to the active roster in late November, Wiley played in just 33 out of 60 regular season games, averaging 8.2 mpg. In the playoffs, he saw just five minutes of action across three games.

POSITION NOTES

Center-Forwards

A lot of teams have players listed by b-r.com as playing both center and (power) forward, and it isn’t always obvious who played how many minutes where. The Spurs had five such players. George Johnson is listed as C-F; Reggie Johnson, Paul Griffin, Kevin Restani and John Shumate are listed as F-C. In addition, while Dave Corzine is listed exclusively as a C, the TSN box scores suggest that he started one game at PF.

If you add up the minutes played by every player on the Spurs whose primary position was center, and you add up the minutes played for every player on the Spurs whose primary position was forward, you’ll find a deficit of 66 minutes at center and an overage of 50 minutes at forward. That’s not much of a difference, less than a minute per game. I don’t see any pressing need to have any of these players see significant time at the opposite position. My guess is that George Johnson and Dave Corzine stuck almost entirely to playing center, and the others stuck almost entirely to playing forward. To the extent that someone with a primary position of forward needed to cover a few minutes at center, the best candidate is probably Paul Griffin. On the other hand, the Spurs may have used some of these guys somewhat interchangeably; I don’t really know for certain. Results for the playoffs were similar to the regular season, with a deficit of 10 minutes at center and an overage of 5 minutes at forward.

Forward-Guards

The Spurs had two players listed at these two positions. George Gervin is listed as G-F, and short-timer Gus Gerard as F-G. If you add up the minutes played by every player on the Spurs whose primary position was in the frontcourt, and you add up the minutes played for every player on the Spurs whose primary position was guard, you’ll find a deficit of 16 minutes in the frontcourt and an overage of 16 minutes at guard. Based on that, I don’t see why there would have been much need to play Gervin at forward or Gerard at guard. Gervin likely stuck almost entirely to SG, while Gerard likely stuck almost entirely to SF. This is especially interesting in Gervin’s case, as he was primarily a forward earlier in his career. It looks like he had transitioned entirely to guard by this point in his career.

As always, I would be interested in any information anyone has about how any of these players were used, this season or elsewhere in their careers.

TRIVIA

Oldest Player: George Johnson, born 12/18/48 (age 31 at start of season, turned 32 in December).

Played in ABA: George Gervin, James Silas, Mark Olberding, Mike Gale, Gus Gerard.

Longest continuous service with team: At the start of the season, the Spurs still had four players who had entered the NBA with the team at the time of the NBA-ABA merger, and had stayed continuously ever since: George Gervin, James Silas, Mark Olberding, and Mike Gale. Gale was traded in December, but the other three were still present at season’s end. Of this group, going back to the ABA days, the player who had been with the team the longest was Silas. Silas’ first season with the franchise had been 1972-73, when it was still known as the Dallas Chaparrals.

Highest original draft position*: #4 overall – John Shumate.

Lowest original draft position*: 5th round, #79 overall – George Johnson. Paul Griffin and James Silas were also 5th round picks, but were both chosen at overall pick positions slightly higher than Johnson’s (#74 and #70, respectively). Note that many reference sources show Mark Olberding as undrafted, but that isn’t really accurate. Olberding was never selected in a regular NBA draft, but that was because he was never eligible for a regular NBA draft, which isn’t really what people mean when they say a player was “undrafted”. In addition, Olberding was both eligible for and actually selected in a special December 1975 supplemental draft of ABA players who had not yet been eligible for the NBA Draft. That draft’s existence has been almost completely forgotten by modern reference sources.

Youngest Player: Johnny Moore, born 3/3/58 (age 22 through most of season, turned 23 late in the year). Moore was in his second year out of college, and had played a full four years of college basketball, but he was younger than either of the Spurs’ two players from the 1980 draft class. Moore appears to have been unusually young for his college class, for whatever reason. When Moore finished his fourth year of college in 1979, he had just turned 21. Most students his age would have been finishing up their junior year at that point, not their senior year.

*Which player was chosen with the highest/lowest selection, by round and/or overall pick, with no regard to whether any players may have been drafted under circumstances not reflecting their “true” value (e.g., player was a junior eligible who had not committed to turn pro right away, player was already under contract to ABA).
MCT

Postby Mike Goodman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Have you ever used Neft and Cohen [NBA Encyclopedia?] ?
I hand entered almost every piece of data from these, and I got these designations, in order of minutes:

George Gervin G
Mark Olberding F
James Silas G
Dave Corzine C
George Johnson c
Paul Griffin F
Reggie Johnson f
Johnny Moore g
Kevin Restani f
Ron Brewer g
Mike Gale g
John Shumate f
Michael Wiley f
Gus Gerard f

Starting positions are Capitalized. I don't recall if that's my shorthand, or if it's how they did it.
Sometimes, as in this case, they seem to know positions; and those with more minutes also happen to be called the 'starters'.
Sometimes a player with more minutes does not show as a starter; so it's not always made-up, like this case seems to be. Often these are given a split position, like cf or gf.

Anyway, I wondered if you have had access to these books, or if you'd just like my file. It goes back to 1952 with the same conventions.
Realizing you are looking for numbers of games started, it may be of no use to you. Just offering.
`
36% of all statistics are wrong
Mike Goodman

Postby MCT » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:27 pm

I would be interested in seeing that data from Neft & Cohen. I have not been using their NBA Encyclopedia. I don’t have access to it; my local public library used to have a copy, but they don’t have it anymore. I once owned a copy of Neft & Cohen’s Baseball Encyclopedia, but my library’s is the only copy of their NBA Encyclopedia that I ever remember seeing.

I am curious as to where b-r.com got its position information, and have wondered whether Neft & Cohen was the source for at least some of it. As noted in the past, b-r.com seems to have used at least two distinct data sets for position information over the years. The information that used to appear in the b-r.com headers is clearly from a different data set, and looks at things from a slightly different angle, than the position information that currently appears on the site. Comparing the information that you posted from Neft & Cohen to the two b-r.com data sets, I don’t see anything suggesting that Neft & Cohen was a source, but we are obviously only looking at a single team for a single year.

In terms of what I’m looking for, I would say that games started is a higher priority than figuring out how much time each player saw at each position, but I am also interested in the latter. Doing so actually started out as kind of an afterthought. Once I had figured out who the starters were on a particular team, it made sense to spend a few minutes figuring out where the backups were slotted in, getting the bigger picture of how a team used its roster. I would also occasionally come across a player whose b-r.com position designation didn’t seem right to me, which I found interesting. For some teams, though, working all of this out has turned out to be much more complex and time-consuming than figuring out the games started numbers.

As you noted, at least with the 1980-81 Spurs, Neft & Cohen seem to be assuming that the five players who played the most minutes were the starters. Based on the TSN box scores, one of these players (Griffin) wasn’t actually a regular presence in the starting lineup, only starting a handful of games. I see your comment that this isn’t always how Neft & Cohen do things, however, and the instances where they don’t would be more interesting to see.
MCT

Postby Mike Goodman » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:41 pm

Some obvious transcription errors, but it's what I've got.
Code: Select all
tm     player         pos   Min         
Atl   Eddie Johnson    G   2693         
Atl   Steve Hawes     Cf   2309         
Atl   Dan Roundfield   F   2128         
Atl   John Drew        F   2075         
Atl   Charlie Criss    g   1708         
Atl   Tom McMillen    fg   1564         
Atl   Sam Pellom       g   1472         
Atl   Don Collins     gf   1184         
Atl   Wes Matthews     G   1105         
Atl   Tree Rollins     c   1044         
Atl   Jim McElroy     cf    680         
Atl   Armond Hill      g    624         
Atl   Craig Shelton    f    586         
Atl   Art Collins      g    395         
Atl   Tom Burleson     c    363         

tm     player         pos   Min     PO   Min
Bos   Larry Bird       F   3239      F   750
Bos   Nate Archibald   G   2820      G   630
Bos   Cedric Maxwell   F   2730      F   598
Bos   Chris Ford       G   2723      G   507
Bos   Robert Parish    C   2298      C   492
Bos   Kevin McHale    fc   1645     fc   296
Bos   Gerald Henderson g   1608      g   228
Bos   Rick Robey      cf   1569      c   265
Bos   M.L. Carr       gf    655     gf   288
Bos   Eric Fernsten    c    279      f    14
Bos   Terry Duerod     g    114      g    12

Chi   Artis Gilmore    C   2832      C   247
Chi   Reggie Theus     G   2820      G   232
Chi   David Greenwood  F   2710      F   212
Chi   Bobby Wilkerson  g   2238      g   152
Chi   Larry Kenon      F   2161      f   114
Chi   Ricky Sobers     G   1803      G   162
Chi   Dwight Jones     f   1574      F   217
Chi   Coby Dietrick   cf   1243     cf    81
Chi   Sam Worthen      g    945         
Chi   Scott May        f    815         
Chi   James Wilkes     f    540         
Chi   Ronnie Lester    g     83      g    42

Cle   Mike Mitchell    F   3194         
Cle   Kenny Carr       F   2615         
Cle   Mike Bratz       G   2595         
Cle   Bill Laimbeer    C   2460         
Cle   Roger Phegley   gf   2269         
Cle   Randy Smith      G   2199         
Cle Richard Washington f   1505         
Cle   Don Ford         f    996         
Cle   Geoff Huston     g    542         
Cle   Dave Robisch     c    372         
Cle   Kim Hughes       c    331         
Cle   Chad Kinch       g    247         
Cle   Walter Jordan    f    207         
Cle   Mack Calvin      g    128         
Cle   Bill Robinzine   f     84         

Dal   Tom LaGarde     Cf   2670         
Dal   Jim Spanarkel   Fg   2317         
Dal   Scott Lloyd      c   2186         
Dal   Bill Robinzine   f   1932         
Dal   Geoff Huston     G   1892         
Dal   Brad Davis       G   1686         
Dal   Ollie Mack       g   1666         
Dal   Marty Byrnes     f   1360         
Dal   Abdul Jeelani    f   1108         
Dal   Winford Boynes  gf    757         
Dal  Stan Pietkiewicz gf    431         
Dal   Terry Duerod     g    337         
Dal Richard Washington f    307         
Dal   Joey Hassett     g    280         
Dal   Darrell Allums   f    276         
Dal   Clarence Kea     f    199         
Dal   Jerome Whitehead c    118         
Dal   Austin Carr      f     77         

Den   Alex English     F   3093         
Den   Dan Issel        C   2641         
Den   David Thompson   G   2620         
Den   Dave Robisch    cf   1744         
Den   Kenny Higgs      G   1689         
Den   Cedric Hordges   f   1599         
Den   T.R. Dunn        g   1427         
Den   Kiki Vandeweghe  F   1376         
Den   Billy McKinney   g   1134         
Den   Glen Gondrezick  f   1077         
Den   Johnny Roche     g    611         
Den   Carl Nicks       g    493         
Den   Kim Hughes       c    159         
Den   James Ray        f    148         
Den   Ron Valentine    f    123         
Den   Jawann Oldham    c     21         

Det   Terry Tyler      F   2549         
Det   Phil Hubbard     c   2289         
Det   Keith Herron     g   2270         
Det   Kent Benson      f   1956         
Det   Ron Lee          g   1829         
Det   Paul Mokeski     c   1815         
Det   John Long        G   1750         
Det   Wayne Robinson   f   1592         
Det   Larry Drew       g   1581         
Det   Larry Wright     g    997         
Det   Greg Kelser      G    654         
Det   Tony Fuller      g    248         
Det   Bob McAdoo       c    168         

tm    player          pos   Min     
GS   JoeBarry Carroll  C   2919         
GS   Bernard King      F   2914         
GS   Larry Smith       F   2578         
GS   Lloyd Free        G   2370         
GS   Purvis Short     fg   2309         
GS   John Lucas        G   1919         
GS   Sonny Parker     gf   1317         
GS   Clifford Ray      c    838         
GS   Lorenzo Romar     g    726         
GS   Billy Reid        g    597         
GS   Rickey Brown      c    580         
GS   Joey Hassett      g    434         
GS   Phil Chenier      g     82         
GS   Rudy White        g     43         
GS   Tom Abernethy     f     39         

Hou   Moses Malone     C   3245      C   955
Hou   Robert Reid     Fg   2963     Fg   868
Hou   Calvin Murphy    G   2014      G   540
Hou   Allen Leavell    g   1686      g   217
Hou   Billy Paultz    fc   1659     Fc   720
Hou   Calvin Garrett   f   1638      f   117
Hou   Mike Dunleavy    G   1609      g   472
Hou   Tom Henderson    g   1411      G   615
Hou   Rudy Tomjanovich F   1264      f    31
Hou   Bill Willoughby  f   1145      f   417
Hou   Major Jones      f   1003      f    88

Ind   Johnny Davis     G   2536      G   74
Ind   Billy Knight    Gf   2385     Gf   71
Ind   Mike Bantom      F   2375      F   51
Ind   James Edwards    C   2375      C   56
Ind   Dudley Bradley   g   1867      g   19
Ind   George McGinnis  F   1845      f   39
Ind   Louis Orr        f   1787      F   56
Ind   Clemon Johnson  cf   1643     cf   55
Ind   Don Buse         g   1095      g   35
Ind   George Johnson  cf    930      f   23
Ind   Jerry Sichting   g    450         
Ind   Tom Abernathy    f    259         
Ind   Kenny Natt       g    149         

tm    player          pos   Min     PO   Min
KC   Scott Wedman      F   2902     Fg   657
KC   Reggie King       F   2743      F   620
KC   Otis Birdsong     G   2593      g   234
KC   Phil Ford         G   2287      G   158
KC   Sam Lacey         C   2228      C   533
KC   Ernie Grunfeld    g   1584      G   633
KC   Joe Meriweather  cf   1514     cf   199
KC   Leon Douglas     cf   1356     fc   318
KC   Lloyd Walton      c    821      g    73
KC   Hawkeye Whitney  gf    782         
KC   John Lambert      c    475      f   175
KC   JoJo White        g    236         
KC   Frankie Sanders   f    186      f    50
KC   Gus Gerard        f    123         

LA   Jamaal Wilkes     F   3028      F   113
LA Kareem Abdul-Jabbar C   2976      C   134
LA   Norm Nixon        G   2962      G   133
LA   Michael Cooper   gf   2625     Gf   102
LA   Jim Chones       Fc   2562     fc    67
LA   Magic Johnson     G   1371     Fg   127
LA   Jim Brewer        f   1107         
LA   Mark Landsberger  f   1086      f    32
LA   Eddie Jordan      g    987         
LA   Butch Carter      g    672         
LA   Brad Holland      g    295         
LA   Alan Hardy        f    111         

Mil   Marques Johnson  F   2542      F   266
Mil   Sidney Moncrief  G   2417     Gf   277
Mil   Quinn Buckner    G   2384      G   183
Mil  Junior Bridgeman fg   2215     fg   183
Mil   Mickey Johnson   F   2118      F   170
Mil   Brian Winters    g   1771      g   181
Mil   Bob Lanier       C   1753      C   236
Mil  Harvey Catchings cf   1635     cf   109
Mil   Pat Cummings     f   1084      f    25
Mil   Len Elmore      cf    925      c    12
Mil   Mike Evans       g    911      g    38

tm    player          pos   Min   
NJ   Mike Newlin       G   2911         
NJ   Mike O'Koren      F   2473         
NJ   Maurice Lucas    cf   2162         
NJ   Darwin Cook       g   1980         
NJ   Cliff Robinson    F   1822         
NJ   Mike Gminski      C   1579         
NJ Jan Van Breda Kolff f   1426         
NJ   Lowes Moore       g   1406         
NJ   Bob Elliot        f   1320         
NJ   Foots Walker      G   1172         
NJ   Edgar Jones       c    950         
NJ   Eddie Jordan      G    239         
NJ   Rory Sparrow      g    212         
NJ   Bob McAdoo        c    153         

NY MichaelR Richardson G   3175      G   86
NY   Bill Cartwright  Cf   2925     cf   49
NY   Campy Russell     F   2865      F   89
NY   Ray Williams      G   2742      G   84
NY   Sly Williams      F   1976      F   56
NY   Marvin Webster    c   1708      C   63
NY   Mike Glenn        g   1506      g   26
NY   Larry Demic       f    964      f   37
NY   Mike Woodson      f    949         
NY   Reggie Carter     g    536         
NY   DeWayne Scales    f    484         

Phl   Julius Erving    F   2874      F   592
Phl   Caldwell Jones  Cf   2639     Cf   580
Phl   Maurice Cheeks   G   2415      G   513
Phl   Lionel Hollins   G   2154      G   490
Phl   Darryl Dawkins   c   2088      c   421
Phl   Bobby Jones      F   2046      F   443
Phl   Andrew Toney     g   1768      g   356
Phl   Steve Mix        f   1327      f   206
Phl   Clint Richardson g   1313      g   181
Phl   Earl Cureton     f    528      f    36
Phl   Ollie Johnson    f    372      f    22
Phl   Doug Collins     g    329         

Phx   Truck Robinson   F   3088      F   233
Phx   Dennis Johnson   G   2615      G   267
Phx   Jeff Cook       Fc   2192      F   206
Phx   Walter Davis    Gf   2182      G   199
Phx   Alvan Adams      C   2054      C   218
Phx   Johnny High      g   1750      g   117
Phx   Rich Kelley      c   1686      c   113
Phx   Kyle Macy        g   1469      g   102
Phx   Alvin Scott      f   1423      f   120
Phx   Joel Kramer      f   1065      f   101
Phx   Mike Niles       f    231         

Por   Mychal Thompson Cf   2790     Cf   132
Por   Jim Paxson       G   2701         
Por   Kelvin Ransey    G   2431      G   131
Por  Kermit Washington F   2120      F   128
Por   Calvin Natt      F   2111      F    95
Por   Bob Gross       fg   1934     fg    60
Por   Tom Owens       cf   1843         
Por   Billy Ray Bates  g   1560      G   115
Por   Kevin Kunnert    c    842      c    43
Por   Ron Brewer       g    548         
Por   Mike Gale        g    476      g    51
Por   Mike Harper     fc    461         
Por   Geoff Crompton   c     33         

SAS   George Gervin    G   2765      G   274
SAS   Mark Olberding   F   2408      F   254
SAS   James Silas      G   2055      G   161
SAS   Dave Corzine     C   1960      c   161
SAS   George Johnson   c   1935      C   165
SAS   Paul Griffin     F   1930      f   183
SAS   Reggie Johnson   f   1716      F   224
SAS   Johnny Moore     g   1578      g   124
SAS   Kevin Restani    f    999     cf    11
SAS   Ron Brewer       g    904      g   118
SAS   Mike Gale        g    636         
SAS    John Shumate    f    519         
SAS   Michael Wiley    f    271         
SAS   Gus Gerard       f    129         

SDC   Swen Nater       C   2809         
SDC   Michael Brooks   F   2479         
SDC   Phil Smith       g   2378         
SDC   Joe Bryant       F   2359         
SDC   Brian Taylor     G   2312         
SDC   Freeman Williams G   1976         
SDC   Gar Heard        f   1631         
SDC   Henry Bibby      g   1112         
SDC   Sidney Wicks    fc   1083         
SDC   Ron Davis       fg    817         
SDC  Jerome Whitehead  c    562         
SDC   Wally Rank      fg    153         
SDC  Stan Pietkiewicz gf     30         

Sea   Jack Sikma      Cf   2920         
Sea   James Bailey     F   2539         
Sea   John Johnson     F   2324         
Sea   Vinnie Johnson   G   2311         
Sea   Fred Brown       g   1986         
Sea   Wally Walker     f   1796         
Sea   Bill Hanzlik     g   1259         
Sea   Armond Hill      g   1114         
Sea   Paul Westphal    G   1078         
Sea   James Donaldson  c    980         
Sea    Dennis Awtrey   c    607         
Sea   Lonnie Shelton   f    440         
Sea   Jackie Dorsey    f    253         
Sea   Rudy White       g    165         

Uta   Adrian Dantley   F   3417         
Uta   Darrell Griffith G   2867         
Uta   Ben Poquette    Fc   2808         
Uta   Allan Bristow    f   2001         
Uta   Wayne Cooper     C   1420         
Uta   Rickey Green     G   1307         
Uta   Ron Boone        g   1146         
Uta   Jeff Wilkins     c   1058         
Uta   Billy McKinney   g   1032         
Uta   Jeff Judkins    gf    666         
Uta   Carl Nicks       g    616         
Uta   James Hardy      f    509         
Uta   John Duren       g    458         
Uta   Mel Bennett      f    313         

Was   Elvin Hayes      F   2931         
Was   Kevin Grevey     G   2616         
Was   Greg Ballard     F   2610         
Was   Kevin Porter     G   2577         
Was   Wes Unseld       C   2032         
Was   Mitch Kupchak   cf   1934         
Was   Wes Matthews     g   1161         
Was   Rick Mahorn      c    696         
Was   Don Collins     gf    661         
Was   Austin Carr      f    580         
Was   Bob Dandridge    f    545         
Was   Carlos Terry    gf    504         
Was   Andre McCarter   g    448         
Was   Anthony Roberts  f    350         
Was   John Williamson  g    112         
Note the handy Select All button, for copying.
`
36% of all statistics are wrong
Mike Goodman

Postby MCT » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:19 pm

In my first post in this thread, I discussed Gus Gerard’s time with the Spurs during the 1980-81 season. All of Gerard's appearances with the Spurs were within a period of approximately 20 days, and it seems pretty clear from the various sources we have that he was only with the Spurs on a pair of 10-day contracts, then was let go. The NBA Register is an outlier, however, suggesting that Gerard somehow remained with the team through the end of the season:

MCT wrote:The 1981-82 NBA Register simply shows Gerard signing with the Spurs on 2/8/81. There is no mention of it being a 10-day contract, no mention of any subsequent contracts, and no indication that Gerard subsequently left (implying that he was with the team through the end of the season). As we’ve seen in previous installments, this is how Registers from this era typically handled things when a player initially joined a team on a 10-day deal but was eventually signed for the remainder of the season. Based on other sources, though, that’s not what happened with Gerard. He was kept around for two 10-day contracts, then let go, and did not finish the season with the Spurs. I would describe the Register’s write-up as, at best, incomplete.

If there was any doubt about the NBA Register’s accuracy on this point, I recently realized that there is one more source I could check to confirm whether Gerard remained on the Spurs’ roster through the end of the season. For the 1980-81, 1981-82 and 1982-83 seasons, the team-by-team statistics in the annual NBA Guide designated players who didn’t finish the season with a team by placing an asterisk before the player’s name. While this convention was dropped after 1983, the asterisks remained in the stats for these seasons until the NBA Guide was reformatted around 1992. If you crack open an NBA Guide from that era, and flip to the stats for one of these three seasons, you’ll see the asterisks.

I checked the 1981-82 NBA Guide, and sure enough, Gerard’s name has an asterisk in front of it, indicating that he did not finish the season with the team. For what it’s worth, Gerard is also absent from the Spurs team roster published in the Guide, which probably reflects the offseason roster as of late August or early September. I think we can pretty safely say at this point that the write-up in the NBA Register is wrong, or at least incomplete.
MCT

Postby MCT » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 pm

A while back, Mike G. posted some material with position information for 1980-81 sourced from Neft & Cohen’s NBA Encyclopedia. I recently posted about this in the introductory thread to this series, noting that I planned to post and comment on this data on a team-by-team basis. See the eighth post in the introductory thread for more information.

Here’s what Neft & Cohen have for the Spurs:

Mike Goodman wrote:
Code: Select all
SAS   George Gervin    G   2765      G   274
SAS   Mark Olberding   F   2408      F   254
SAS   James Silas      G   2055      G   161
SAS   Dave Corzine     C   1960      c   161
SAS   George Johnson   c   1935      C   165
SAS   Paul Griffin     F   1930      f   183
SAS   Reggie Johnson   f   1716      F   224
SAS   Johnny Moore     g   1578      g   124
SAS   Kevin Restani    f    999     cf    11
SAS   Ron Brewer       g    904      g   118
SAS   Mike Gale        g    636         
SAS    John Shumate    f    519         
SAS   Michael Wiley    f    271         
SAS   Gus Gerard       f    129

MCT wrote:A lot of teams have players listed by b-r.com as playing both center and (power) forward, and it isn’t always obvious who played how many minutes where. The Spurs had five such players. George Johnson is listed as C-F; Reggie Johnson, Paul Griffin, Kevin Restani and John Shumate are listed as F-C. In addition, while Dave Corzine is listed exclusively as a C, the TSN box scores suggest that he started one game at PF.

If you add up the minutes played by every player on the Spurs whose primary position was center, and you add up the minutes played for every player on the Spurs whose primary position was forward, you’ll find a deficit of 66 minutes at center and an overage of 50 minutes at forward. That’s not much of a difference, less than a minute per game. I don’t see any pressing need to have any of these players see significant time at the opposite position. My guess is that George Johnson and Dave Corzine stuck almost entirely to playing center, and the others stuck almost entirely to playing forward. To the extent that someone with a primary position of forward needed to cover a few minutes at center, the best candidate is probably Paul Griffin. On the other hand, the Spurs may have used some of these guys somewhat interchangeably; I don’t really know for certain. Results for the playoffs were similar to the regular season, with a deficit of 10 minutes at center and an overage of 5 minutes at forward.

Neft & Cohen have George Johnson and Corzine as exclusively centers, and Reggie Johnson, Griffin, Restani (at least in the regular season) and Shumate as exclusively forwards.

For the playoffs, Neft & Cohen have Restani as “cf”. I’m not quite sure what to make of this. On the one hand, it’s not implausible. As noted above, the playoff numbers show a shortage of ten minutes at center, which were presumably played by someone with a primary position of forward. Against that backdrop, it’s possible that Restani swung over to center enough to make it his primary position. On the other hand, ten minutes over seven games works out to less than a minute and a half per game. I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion that one of the forwards must have played enough center to qualify it as a primary or secondary position. Assuming someone did, I’m unclear as to why Neft & Cohen think it was Restani. Restani only appeared in three of the Spurs’ seven playoff games, totalling just eleven minute of playing time.

MCT wrote: George Gervin is listed as G-F, and short-timer Gus Gerard as F-G. If you add up the minutes played by every player on the Spurs whose primary position was in the frontcourt, and you add up the minutes played for every player on the Spurs whose primary position was guard, you’ll find a deficit of 16 minutes in the frontcourt and an overage of 16 minutes at guard. Based on that, I don’t see why there would have been much need to play Gervin at forward or Gerard at guard. Gervin likely stuck almost entirely to SG, while Gerard likely stuck almost entirely to SF. This is especially interesting in Gervin’s case, as he was primarily a forward earlier in his career. It looks like he had transitioned entirely to guard by this point in his career.

Neft & Cohen have Gervin as exclusively a guard, and Gerard as exclusively a forward.
MCT

Return to NBA in the 1970s and 1980s