The 'effect of being up X'

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
ilardi

Re: The 'effect of being up X'

Post by ilardi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:03 pm

JE wrote:I think you can just divide the coach rating by 5 to get the impact of the coaches' rating on the player rating.
That certainly sounds plausible, but it's ultimately an empirical question, right? For example (whenever you have a few minutes to spare), I think it would be informative to see a comparison of RAPM rating for each of the OKC players with and without the coaching adjustment. Does Brooks's whopping +6.2 coaching effect simply get distributed on a minutes-weighted basis across the entire roster, or are some players disproportionately "penalized" by the Brooks coaching adjustment?

In fact, I think most of us are ultimately interested in knowing, for each NBA player: (a) what is his actual +/- impact on offense/defense?; (b) how much of that impact is attributable to coaching/team context variables?; and (c) how much is fully attibutable to the player after adjusting for such coaching effects? After all, when we look at other advanced metrics (e.g., true shooting %), we never adjust for coaching effects . . . and even if we did/could, we would still also want to know what the actual unadjusted metric value was, since that's the number that tells us what the player ACTUALLY DID. Make sense?

DSMok1

Post by DSMok1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:07 pm

ilardi wrote:
JE wrote:I think you can just divide the coach rating by 5 to get the impact of the coaches' rating on the player rating.
That certainly sounds plausible, but it's ultimately an empirical question, right? For example (whenever you have a few minutes to spare), I think it would be informative to see a comparison of RAPM rating for each of the OKC players with and without the coaching adjustment. Does Brooks's whopping +6.2 coaching effect simply get distributed on a minutes-weighted basis across the entire roster, or are some players disproportionately "penalized" by the Brooks coaching adjustment?

In fact, I think most of us are ultimately interested in knowing, for each NBA player: (a) what is his actual +/- impact on offense/defense?; (b) how much of that impact is attributable to coaching/team context variables?; and (c) how much is fully attibutable to the player after adjusting for such coaching effects? After all, when we look at other advanced metrics (e.g., true shooting %), we never adjust for coaching effects . . . and even if we did/could, we would still also want to know what the actual unadjusted metric value was, since that's the number that tells us what the player ACTUALLY DID. Make sense?
Very good points. A is the easiest, splitting to B and C is the next frontier.
Developer of Box Plus/Minus
APBRmetrics Forum Administrator
GodismyJudgeOK.com/DStats/
Twitter.com/DSMok1

AcrossTheCourt

Post by AcrossTheCourt » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:45 am

Perhaps this is why "clutchess" has been difficult to find in players. Some of that noise might be due to how often you are behind/ahead, though the effect decreases the closer the game is.

J.E.

Post by J.E. » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:29 pm

ilardi wrote: After all, when we look at other advanced metrics (e.g., true shooting %), we never adjust for coaching effects . . .
I feel like we should, though. And obviously adjust for who you're playing with, too.
Does Belinelli shoot 46% on 3-pointers on average NBA team? Does Stephenson grab 6 DReb/game on an average team? If we could create 'adjusted BoxScore stats' for each player we would get a more accurate SPM.
I feel that's pretty much the next frontier in terms of improving player metrics

ilardi

Post by ilardi » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:13 pm

J.E. wrote:
ilardi wrote: After all, when we look at other advanced metrics (e.g., true shooting %), we never adjust for coaching effects . . .
I feel like we should, though. And obviously adjust for who you're playing with, too.
Does Belinelli shoot 46% on 3-pointers on average NBA team? Does Stephenson grab 6 DReb/game on an average team? If we could create 'adjusted BoxScore stats' for each player we would get a more accurate SPM.
I feel that's pretty much the next frontier in terms of improving player metrics
Yes, but we need to see *both* (adjusted and unadjusted) forms of each metric to get the complete picture . . . i.e., it is important to see player APM numbers both with and without the coaching adjustment.

colts18

Post by colts18 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but isn't this some kind of evidence for momentum existing?

v-zero

Post by v-zero » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:52 am

It is in fact evidence of anti-momentum. That is, performance above expectation will tend to cause said performance, relative to the opponent, to worsen.