The forum might be better if...

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

The forum might be better if...

Post by Crow » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:42 am

I have occasionally wondered how to make the forum better, i.e. more active, engaging, inclusive, diverse, fun etc. I am not going to do a big wind-up about it, but if anyone has any concerns or suggestions, you are welcome to raise them if you wish.

Sacré d'Jeu

Re: The forum might be better if...

Post by Sacré d'Jeu » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:09 am

... there was some structure.
... there was a '101 analytics' for beginners that gives an overview of where analytics are today and an explanation the important statistics/results that exist today.
... great/important literature, articles, posts, research, ... were gathered in one place.

as I'm having a bit of trouble as a beginner to find my way.

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:52 pm

This is probably one if the best detailed introductions http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/66264287

This is another good one http://www.d3coder.com/thecity/advanced-stats-primer/

I thought these were posted already but here they are.

If you have questions, just ask and hopefully someone from among us can help.

In terms of organization, the thread order is chronological. Theoretically they could be grouped by major topic. Would that accomplish what you are looking for? To do so would time and might not be universally popular. The search tool can be pretty helpful.

BigLeagueInsights

Post by BigLeagueInsights » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:09 pm

A thread where newbies introduce themselves might help. That intro thread could have the "must read" introduction material, etc.

A "best of" thread would be nice as well (or maybe it's just most viewed all time)?

Crow

Post by Crow » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:19 am

There was a new member introduction thread before. May have gotten lost when site got hacked and had to be rebuilt. I'll add one.

Best of thread might be worth a try. Some day.

Mike G

Post by Mike G » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:31 pm

You know, as in most things, it's probably a lot easier to make it worse here, than it is to make it better.
We don't have much (if any) in the way of acrimonious exchanges, lack of mutual respect, etc. About the worst that happens is we often ignore or don't comment on a post. That's cool, in my opinion. If people read and appreciate, no-comment may be just right.

Crow

Post by Crow » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:44 pm

Several people have told me they visited but felt intimidated to post. I don't know what to say, other than maybe try it, feel how it goes and quit if you don't like it. You probably have things to say or ask that some others will relate to, respond to.

bondom343

Post by bondom343 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:30 am

Yep, I'd agree with Crow. I felt that way, as I'm no statistician (nothing beyond a college stats course and that was years ago), I just enjoy the topics at hand here and speak when I feel I can. Everyone here is very welcoming, no need to be intimidated! :D

Mike G

Post by Mike G » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:21 pm

The forums would be easier to read, and to re-read, if people didn't copy the entire post that they're replying to.
In a back-and-forth, in which 2 or more people are continuing a conversation, they sometimes just copy every comment to date. This leads to an ever-expanding repetition.

Just copy those bits that you're responding to. Please.