Thoughts on the top eastern teams

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

Thoughts on the top eastern teams

Post by Crow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Any thoughts folks want to share about the prospects of the best in the east for rest of season and playoffs? Looking at record, stats, metrics, using eye test, experience and intuition?

Crow

Re: Thoughts on the top eastern teams

Post by Crow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:15 pm

I like Washington's roster. I have e some of their moves as they were evolving but under-respected what they were doing there overall for awhile, including I guess coaching. Among those who have watched closely, what are your expectations of playoff seed and advancement?

BigLeagueInsights

Post by BigLeagueInsights » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:09 pm

I like Washington a lot this season, and they've looked better since Beal has been back, but very inconsistent.

Can they beat Cleveland, Toronto, or Chicago in a playoff series? I'm not sure. Can Nene stay healthy? Can Paul Pierce contribute in crunch time (early signs point to yes). Can Otto Porter and Garrett Temple improve throughout? Can Rasual Butler keep up his efficient offense? What does Professor Andre Miller have left? Will Humphries play more of a role as the season goes on?

In the end, I think it comes down to whether or not Wall and Beal can continue to improve and make good decisions. The other 3 contenders in the East all have proven veteran playoff leadership. Pierce will be a good influence. Like you, I'm also not sold on Wittman. Decent coach, but not sure about tactical adjustments in a 7 game series.

On the stat front, Wiz are currently 2nd in the league in 3p%, and 27th in 3PA, yet 11th in eFG%. They also don't get to the line much -- they're 18th in FTA. Their defense has looked better, and should continue to improve. On defense, they are 24th in FT/FGA, but aside from fouling too much, they've looked great on defense.

Aside from Beal and Butler, they don't have any decent shooters from behind the arc (Pierce and Temple are shooting 35% and 36% from 3 right now). This will be a problem in the playoffs.

I have them currently as the #3 team in the East behind Cleveland and Toronto, but a healthy Bulls team would probably be a favorite in a playoff series.

Crow

Post by Crow » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:31 am

I tweet linked u.

Ujiri- time to sit and let it play out. Conventional. I don't agree though.

bondom343

Post by bondom343 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:36 am

I liked Toronto, but they've exceeded my expectations thus far. I put them in the top tier with Chicago and the Cavs. The Wizards are another pleasant surprise, but I just don't see them beating any of the top 3 in the postseason. Beal is still too young, and I don't trust Nene's health. They've also got the oldest roster in the league last I knew of, and I think late season wear and tear/health in general could be a problem. Atlanta still is the same, I wouldn't be shocked even if they broke through.

Crow

Post by Crow » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Sixth oldest roster by minutes played. http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... _2015.html
Chicago, San Antonio, Dallas, Memphis older. Sometimes you might be too old to win title but being too young (younger than 27 years on average) seems more disqualifying. Youngest title winner in at least 25-30 years was the 1990-91 Bulls at about 27 yrs on avg. Several contenders this season are below that- OKC, Toronto, GSW.

Crow

Post by Crow » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:13 am

Atl 9-1 in last 10 Cle 8-2.