APBRmetrics

The discussion of the analysis of basketball through objective evidence, especially basketball statistics.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:40 pm 

Has anyone with a play level database looked into the components of play efficiency when a big man takes (or tries to take) a 3 pointer? Your own study or an article or paper seen? I am interested in what happens to offensive rebounding and the play continuation after it but also the efg%, the mix of open and contested shots, turnovers before the shot and the overall points per possession. Is it an overall good play? Does the loss of offensive rebounding from the big man being the shooter far from the basket hurt the ppp much? Does it change / hurt defensive rebounding too (when the opposing big stays on him)? Is it only a good (better than average) play if the 3 is wide open, from the corner or both? At team or lineup level does the ppp of the play depend a lot on the other team big being a great offensive rebounder or having a perimeter player who is above average at it to compensate? With player tracking data can you separate 3s taken by bigs against counterpart vs. switches (or no one)? Teams have been looking for and using stretch fours and even a few stretch fives a lot more often, are they / we sure it is as good as popular impression? Are there any positive or negative impacts on the next defensive possessions? I don't recall such a published study. Maybe I missed it? It would be a bit surprising if this hasn't been done. Are we confident most team analytic shops have done it? If you were a insider, I'd want to check team offensive efficiency in plays shortly after a big hits a three (and after he misses) too.