Executives & Titles

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

Executives & Titles

Post by Crow » Sun May 28, 2017 1:45 am

6 current top executives with Titles achieved in that role. Probably not going to get a new member to that group soon.

Presti & Morey complete 10 season's each without one. That isn't unusual or the longest runs without but it is a noteworthy milestone. 6 current or future hall of famers between them one shared), with as many as 3 at a time for both (Mutombo with Ming / McGrady). If I recall previous research correctly no GM who got a title in at least last 30 years (maybe all-time, I forget this part) took longer to get it. But, more chances, maybe it will happen someday. This time: 3pt bombing Rockets finish well below playoff average for 3pt fg%. Potential coach of the year with 3rd worst % lineups positive in playoffs. Thunder has probable MVP who shoots horribly. Presti's two coaching choices (current & formers) finish next to worst and worst on % lineups positive. Among other things, parts of the stories. Extreme playing styles & top employee choices. And inadequate defenses.

jgoldstein34

Re: Executives & Titles

Post by jgoldstein34 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Its a difficult position because I think both are really good GM's but at the same time it's possible being in one place for so long could be holding them back. I've heard of people in the business world getting bored or a job getting stale after a while, so maybe each could use a season or two off and then come back to a new team with fresh eyes. They're both clearly good at what they do, but everyone gets tired after long enough in one place doing the same thing every year.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sun May 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Keep same styles of play? Continue to operate without a former NBA player high in front office? Prospects of either getting a title in next 3 years is probably fairly low. Will another 10 years pass with no titles for them? Will either land the right coach for a hard title run?

jgoldstein34

Post by jgoldstein34 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:02 pm

To be fair, the prospect of anyone outside of Golden State winning a title in the next 3 years is pretty dim. I think both GMs are good at what they do and not winning a title won't invalidate that. As much as winning a chip is the goal, being a consistently good team that also can make the owner money is just as important to job security. I don't like using rings as a bar for if a GM/Coach/Player is great in talent. It makes for a better narrative, but it shouldn't be the be all end all.

Statman

Post by Statman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:04 pm

jgoldstein34 wrote:To be fair, the prospect of anyone outside of Golden State winning a title in the next 3 years is pretty dim. I think both GMs are good at what they do and not winning a title won't invalidate that. As much as winning a chip is the goal, being a consistently good team that also can make the owner money is just as important to job security. I don't like using rings as a bar for if a GM/Coach/Player is great in talent. It makes for a better narrative, but it shouldn't be the be all end all.
Agreed. If you didn't have LeBron in his prime, or prime Steph/Draymond/Klay (w/ now Durant), or maybe the greatest coach of all time w/ 4 future HoF'ers, the odds of winning a championship these last 10 years were just not good.