Why are possessions et al. estimated using crude formulae?

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
jimhk1975

Why are possessions et al. estimated using crude formulae?

Post by jimhk1975 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:54 am

Why are possessions estimated using crude formulae, instead of being properly and precisely counted?

For example, Basketball-Reference (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html) uses

0.5 * ((Tm FGA + 0.4 * Tm FTA - 1.07 * (Tm ORB / (Tm ORB + Opp DRB)) * (Tm FGA - Tm FG) + Tm TOV) + (Opp FGA + 0.4 * Opp FTA - 1.07 * (Opp ORB / (Opp ORB + Tm DRB)) * (Opp FGA - Opp FG) + Opp TOV)).

I believe the NBA still uses (http://www.nba.com/thunder/news/stats101.html):

Pos = .96 * (FGA + (.44*FTA) - OR + TO)

I understand that for earlier years, we don't have more detailed play-by-play information and so precisely counting possessions for earlier years may not be feasible. Instead we use the above formulae to estimate the number of possessions.

But surely it is a simple matter to count possessions for games taking place today, now that we have all the play-by-play data we need? Why isn't this being done?

I could say the same of many other stats — e.g. True Shooting Attempts is defined as FGA + 0.44 * FTA. Instead of using the crude 0.44 multiplier, surely we can nowadays actually determine how many True Shooting Attempts a player actually made in the game?

Mike G

Re: Why are possessions et al. estimated using crude formula

Post by Mike G » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Good points all.
Player per-100-possession stats are also summed based on minutes rather than possessions. Go figure.
On a given team, all players are assumed to go the same pace -- proportionate to minutes -- even when we know their on/off team pace.
Team and opponent rebounds/100 are also treated the same in calculating Reb%, even though we know there are on/off team rebound rates for players.

And shouldn't we count a possession starting with 6 seconds in the quarter, as .25 possessions?
True Shooting Attempts is defined as FGA + 0.44 * FTA. Instead of using the crude 0.44 multiplier...
Yes, and in a box score a player goes 1-2 from the FT line, no FGA, and his TS% = .568
Is that a "true" shooting% ?
We failed to come up with a better concise term some years ago.

permaximum

Post by permaximum » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:09 pm

I always use the first formula. In some cases, I used even more sophisticated formulas. I don't like "too much estimation" or "bias". I always try to minimize that factor in any scenerio.

jgoldstein34

Post by jgoldstein34 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:04 pm

My guess is that estimates are still used commonly because it's a bit easier and, generally speaking, good enough for most purposes. I'd rather use exact numbers, but if I can estimate something that's 99% accurate, than that 1% of error won't matter for most projects.