Opportunities for NBA teams

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

Opportunities for NBA teams

Post by Crow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Teams have mined a lot of talented people from here and they still post some current openings. This thread is reverse advertising.

If any team manager or team analytic leader or owner thinks they could find value in confidential outside (and remote) analysis of their datasets, data design or analytic approaches & findings, you can contact me by private message for opening discussion.

I am not offering to build or manage datasets or lead analytic systems / personnel, though I would be open to evolving into those responsibilities if it made sense later. I am not a multi tool / programming language player, but am open to learning how to work effectively with people with those skills. I am an analyst, reviewer and idea generator & refiner. I have done these things here at Apbrmetrics (and elsewhere) since near the beginning of the basketball analytics movement and professionally in a different field. If you have found some value in my past postings & want to try listening to targeted input for your team and see what is new & useful or potentially useful, drop me a line. If it isn't beneficial, you can always drop away.

Anyone else that wants to make a pitch to teams can add their own post in this thread or make your own thread.

jgoldstein34

Re: Opportunities for NBA teams

Post by jgoldstein34 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:26 pm

My thought on actually creating a career out of this has always been that if someone wants to pay me to do what I'm going to do anyway, that's all good with me. I'm going to be doing statistical analysis of basketball for the foreseeable future either way, people caring about what I have to say enough to invest in me would be a great honor. I've worked remote with advertising data for radio companies before, it can be tough but very rewarding. Always great to have an outside source reviewing and adding to findings/analysis to remove any potential group-think.

Nate

Post by Nate » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:00 pm

I really get the impression that people are still looking to find analytics value in the form of 'happy accidents' where some hobbyist on the outside is looking for answers to the same questions as teams are and can produce useful insight for the decisions that teams make.

Teams can increase the chance of finding useful outside analysis if they make more data available to the public.

Rd11490

Post by Rd11490 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:30 pm

Teams can increase the chance of finding useful outside analysis if they make more data available to the public.
I'm hoping the move away from sportvu to second spectrum will open up the player tracking data to the public. I get why it was not public when only a few teams had the system, but now that raw data is available to every team in the league, I don't understand the reasoning behind keeping it private.

Nate

Post by Nate » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:37 pm

Rd11490 wrote:... I don't understand the reasoning behind keeping it private.
There' some sensitive stuff encoded in that information. For example, changes in players' performance profiles can create suspicion of doping or unannounced injuries that the league probably wants to avoid.

Warthog

Post by Warthog » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Rather than make a pitch to teams, I'm hoping to just let some of my work speak for itself. Rather than a having mathematical/analytics background who has dabbled in databases/programming, I am a software developer with extensive database experience, with some background in analytics (master's agree with classes on things such as data mining and discrete math). I may want to work for an NBA team if it is the right fit, but I'm also happy to keep making tools that could benefit anyone...teams, fans, scouts, etc. For instance, I threw together my draft pick trade value tools and database in under a day and know of at least one professional team that was using it extensively leading up to and during the draft. I'm currently writing an open source software library to interface the NBA "API" endpoints with PHP. Like jgoldstein34 said, I would be doing this anyway...but I'd also love to turn this into a career at some point.

Rd11490

Post by Rd11490 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:04 pm

'm currently writing an open source software library to interface the NBA "API" endpoints with PHP
This library has been very helpful for me as I am doing the same thing in Scala. Was able to find a few endpoints/parameters that I couldn't find by clicking around on the website with the console open/throwing stuff at postman.

I'm in the same boat, I'm working on a project for processing movement data in Apache Spark. I'll probably write a post on how to spin up a cluster in AWS and do basic processing and release a base project once I get it all set up. Otherwise, I'm happy with my low stress 9-5 that allows me to browse this forum while my jobs run/compile.

Warthog

Post by Warthog » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Are you talking about my library or one of the others that currently exists? I haven't yet made a post about it because it's not fully ready or tested. I know mine will have far more endpoints than any other library has currently found though.

Rd11490

Post by Rd11490 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm talking about yours on GitHub. I came across it from your web-app and found that it is the most extensive wrapper for their endpoints. I know you haven't documented it yet, but just going through the code has been helpful.

Warthog

Post by Warthog » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Cool! I've been updating it a lot lately. I'm currently up to 152 endpoints coming from stats.nba.com, data.nba.net, stats-prod.nba.com, and api.nba.net. Most other libraries only have endpoints from the 1st two and are definitely incomplete lists.

Statman

Post by Statman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:09 pm

I'm on retainer until June 1st, 2018, not allowed to discuss NBA FA & draft stuff with anyone (team or public).

But, hey, if a WNBA team wants me to build a draft & player projection model & openly share all results with them, let's talk. I'm not going to do the build from scratch until I know there's actual interest though, I'll make the time if the opportunity arises.

I'm working a huge NBA project. Part of me is almost hoping I'll be a free agent next June, just so I can go public with the final product - even if that lasts just a short while. I'm crazy excited about the eventual results. But, of course, I still need to make a living, so I'll do what's best for my family- & I may never be in a position to post anything publicly.

Also, a little related, are there any good resources on the inner workings of NBA front offices? It's all so hush hush - I'd love to learn a few skills that would most help my knowledge & job performance for a more gm related position down the line.

And, finally, NBA decision makers are SO closed off - it is VERY difficult to even attempt to let teams know if you have created something they might find useful/helpful/valuable (believe me, I've tried). Maybe a decent sports agent as a liaison (all the NBA, GLeague, WNBA, International, sports apparel contacts) needs to consider having a branch that deals more with clients who are more analytically inclined, who may eventually create work worth possibly millions to an organization - or prove themselves well rounded enough to be great future NBA GMs, Presidents, CEOs, etc.