Play by play data

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Snedecor

Play by play data

Post by Snedecor » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi all,

There is some example how NBA analyzed pbp data? is there much knowledge about programming, required much code effort? and what language you use?

Thanks in advance
Regards

pdevos

Re: Play by play data

Post by pdevos » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:39 am

Your question is a little difficult to understand.

If you're looking to "scrape" (or pull) nba pbp data, there's a number of websites you can get that from (any with pbp data) by using Python with libraries like Requests, BeautifulSoup, JSON, and Pandas.

If you're looking for some examples of what people have done with pbp analysis, a simple google search with "Python" and "pbp" and "analysis" should start you on your way.

Snedecor

Post by Snedecor » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi,
Thanks for reply.
First of all, the issue here is scrapping data which is tedious and have too much code effort for those who didnt know much code, just focused on analysis. Is easy typical copy paste.
Then the problems come when you need pbp in a table summarizations, and that need to be done with too much code I think. For that reason I need some help o guidance!
I did some search but need more lucky

Thanks in advance

Regards

Rd11490

Post by Rd11490 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:57 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BmBC0E ... sp=sharing

Here are CSVs with play by play and players on the court going back a few years. As for analysis, I'm not sure how you could work with this data with out some knowledge of coding.

Snedecor

Post by Snedecor » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Thank you very much, this give me an idea how it is but the issue here is working with pbp for europe and other leagues differents than NBA, the data need to be structured to be analyzed. The difficult for me is to get the proper table structured, first scrapping (is tedius but can be solved with copy paste), second is structured and for that you need coding.
Thanks in advance
Regards