Trade talk

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

Trade talk

Post by Crow » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:39 am

About 5 weeks to the trade deadline. A few things may happen before then but typically GMs holdout for one-sided deals until the last 48 hours. 1/3 to 1/2 will then make deals that both sides like or can live with given their goals. It doesn't have to wait til the end but they do, hoping for better.

Almost no team should stand pat or decide to stand pat but probably 1/2 to 2/3rds will end up there or do something so minor that there is no reason to care about it.

I don't have any specific trades to propose at moment or comment on but if / when I do, they'll show up here.

Tack on your own ideas / comments as you wish.

Crow

Re: Trade talk

Post by Crow » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:04 am

On second thought, here are a few stir the pot ideas:

Portland, continue to try to trade Turner, Harkless or both.

Warriors, be active at looking to move anyone beyond the big 4. Too complacent, you might end up short.

Kings, pretty clear you aren't happy with Labesserie. What do you want?

Clippers, probably stand pat. I wouldn't. Could get better most places beyond forward and maybe there too.

Trade Favors? Many think the Jazz will. It all depends what you can get. I'd be actively shopping Rubio but I doubt they are.

Lakers, I'd make lots of changes now and later They'll mostly or completely wait.

Mavs, how serious are you about making playoffs this season? Better be a buyer if you want to make it.

TWolves, it seems absurd to me that you would want to keep Wiggins. I dunno what you can get for him but you're not getting good impact from regardless of the level of his per game stats. Continues to me a massive disappointment in many ways.

Thunder? Are you going to keep Abrines? Doesn't make much sense to me. Patterson, move to end the embarrassment? Lots of other who could move if you can get better.

Mirotic? Great with Davis. Doesn't work with Randle. I"d probably trade but see how Payton, Mirotic, Davis does with Payton available. Earlier results were very good.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:36 am

Interest in Mike Conley? Detroit probably should consider. Knicks may or may not. Beyond that, I don't see others.

Marc Gasol? Nobody I can think of.

Jimmy Butler and / or Ben Simmons? Unlikely but should be considered.

Clippers should probably choose between T Harris and Galinari.

I assume Rockets want to flip B Knight and Chriss but can they get anything decent?

Lin to...? Orlando, Washington, Portland, Detroit, Philly, Phoenix...

Crow

Post by Crow » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:53 am

Davis to Lakers or later to Celtics? Maybe not this time. Challenges with most teams but I think Rockets, Raptors, Blazers and Heat have a chance of getting now if they make a good offer. As a rental. Rockets might win him over. Heat, a chance. Not the other two. Clippers? Might be in mix. Perhaps others. Pelicans have to decide on time horizon and who they can tolerate giving Davis too. Spurs? Thunder? Not totally unthinkable.

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:41 am

If the reputed Lakers offer were accepted and the Lakers wanted to push in playoffs this year, then they should also trade at least one center and trade or waive 5 deep bench guys. And get a starting and / or back up PG and another forward (or two) depending on if James plays PG or SF.

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:00 am

If Pelicans want an "All-NBA" type player or one with that potential in the package for Davis, they are either delusional or will have to sell a trade that Is perhaps not on the table. I can not see any of the young Lakers rising into top 15. Tatum is a darling of many but he is currently #102 on RPM estimate and just mildly positive. Wait for him in a later deal? Do whatever they want but that doesn't excite or impress me.

Reportedly no offer from Bucks. Haven't heard of any from Raptors, Rockets or Blazers. They have better RPM players, if they are willing to offer them. They might not be willing. They already have their design, chemistry. Not easy to re-jigger. No offer we're told from Clippers yet either. Offers from some of these teams might drop tomorrow. They better. Pelicans likely to control to ruminate / debate / disagree on Wednesday. Better know how to play the hand by Thursday morning. Will Sixers swoop in at last minute again? Not hearing anything there, yet. Somebody is laying back. These GMs really cut it close to wire.

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:42 am

With Lakers, Davis would be #2 at least in power for probably 2-3 years then take over. Would be #2 with Bucks. Maybe #3 in Houston unless Paul backed off. With Celtics he might be #2 to Irving, though he should fight to be #1. But no real sign that he will fight or lead to date. I don't think he'd be #1 in Toronto, Portland or with Clippers if they get another star. He would probably rise to #1 with most teams eventually but is this acfually wise? Usually people talk about needing an Alpha to win a title. I don't see him as an Alpha and not close.

Who is Alpha enough to lead to a title in next few years? Giannis is getting there but I'd say borderline still. Probably Harden. Kyrie as #1? Maybe but I'd say no is more likely than yes. Leonard? I say no. Would Curry have been able to do it outside a 3-4 star context? I'd say probably not. Durant, now? Yeah he could if he picks right spot. Doubt it happens in NY. Clock is ticking. He doesn't have that much time before the decline probably hits. Other stars already in prime? I highly doubt it.

Embid, Doncic, Zion Williamson... maybe after the next few years. KAT? Nah. Jokic? Maybe.

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 pm

I expected the Lakers to throw up their hands today or tomorrow. I don't know what happens next but this was no surprise.

Crow

Post by Crow » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:36 am

The Harrison Barnes era ends in Dallas with nothing accomplished with that splash / mistake.

Bulls complete their starting lineup of the future. Will be interesting to watch it and see how long it lasts. Might attract a better Coach.

Rockets have their depth filled up again after the impacts of the Paul trade / re-signing. I dunno how good but plenty of bodies.

Clippers about to tank? That would give some life to Lakers' playoff chances. Kings will put up a fight for it.

Heat saves some money but are still going nowhere fast.

Will need to check what Sixers have left in the draft basket. Looks like the first rounder surplus is over and now a deficit has been created. Plenty of second rounders. Could be useful, may yield surprises but not that major a story probably. Not done with The Process but the chips are coming down. Is it a design or just a series of moves?

Don't get the Lowry trade talk if real. Is it real or fake? Is it a basketball move or Ujuri trying to move a critic? How is his on the court relationship with Leonard? How / why would Conley be considered better and desired instead?

Ariza hasn't made sense to me in last 2 places. Will he get moved? Will it make a difference this time?

I assume the Pistons' moves are primarily about the future. If that is the focus, they should do more.

Do the Mavs use projected cap space in summer for a PG? That seems most likely / conventions but will it yield bang for the buck with Doncic running things a lot? Is Porzingis going to still initiate or just finish? Will he be happy if it is the latter? Major design / coaching issues.

Crow

Post by Crow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:13 am

The only top 50 on RPM estimate guy traded at deadline was M. Gasol. Then T Harris, Marjanovic, D Jordan, Muscala, Mirotic. 9 in top 100 traded. Others: J Val, T Chandler, O Porter.