Page 1 of 2

Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:48 am
by Crow
Some of these are more likely than others but I could see these guys possibly being moved in next 12 months:

Davis (and the other side of the deal)
Draymond Green
Favors
Wiggins
Ibaka
Dragic
Whiteside
P Gasol
Lots of Lakers even if not for Davis
E Gordon
Batum and / or MKG
Lowry
THJ

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:13 am
by xkonk
Dunno if you saw the news before this post, but Pau was bought out and is expected to sign with the Bucks.

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:20 am
by Crow
The Gasol news broke today. I posted this last night.

The contract was a pretty bad & weird decision imo at the time and even more so now, though the trade and his injury altered things.


I forgot to add K Love, T Thompson, Iggy, maybe some other prominent or 2nd tier guys. Not listing everybody. Heat will try to give guys away but not sure what they'll do to make it happen.

Conley I left out because I think it could be more than 12 months til he is traded.

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:41 am
by Crow
If Thunder go out in first round again, that would seem like a good reason to re-examine where they are and where they are headed. I doubt Presti moves any of the big 3, but imo he should consider all options. It will again be a matter of how they value actually achieving a title vs being a contender or a sort of contender.

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:15 am
by Crow
Teams trade rights to swap draft picks in a particular draft. Could you extend it to right to swap in different years? I don't see why not. Or extend it to right to swap in one of several ways?

Could teams negotiate to trade a conditional right to acquire a player under contract at a future date for a specific package of player and / or draft consideration or one of several packages? The league might draw line and say no to going this far into conditional terms but has anyone ever asked?

Teams in past occasionally did deals in exchange for not matching on restricted free agents. I think that is frowned upon or illegal now but could you do other kinds of deals in exchange for not doing other things? Probably could if you didnt say so or make it too obvious but could teams be bold, do it big and force league to decide on this type of move? It could get messy if this were allowed. Conceivably you could trade something to officially prevent a team from trading a player to another rival team or maybe even any team to ensure a player got to free agency. The league probably doesn't want this and they may have the authority to prevent under general powers. But teams split exceptions and I don't think that was originally intended. Draft swap rights seem like a GM created thing too. Trade / waive / sign again was a thing for awhile. Now you have to go another step. If not my stated novel trade ideas, there are probably others. Taking dead money for draft consideration was a created thing.

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:06 pm
by walker_harris3
A Kemba Walker sign and trade will probably happen if the Hornets don't dish out max or near max dollar for him this summer. Kemba went on the Jump in January and said "They know what they need to do" in regards to what Kupchak & management need to do to keep him. Judging from the trade deadline inactivity, I believe that Kemba was referring to the amount of money on his next contract rather than making a splash at the trade deadline.

For Hornets, a sign and trade is undoubtedly better long term than paying Kemba the 5 year max (or supermax if he miraculously qualifies). Question is, will Jordan be willing to let him go? My guess is probably not, but if so it sounds like the Mavericks, Lakers and Knicks are his top destinations. Likelihood of a trade happening probably increases if one of those teams ends up with a top 4 pick. Mavs are definitely trying to tank their way into keeping their pick but will likely only have a 34% chance at most of keeping it. Knicks are topped out with a 52% chance at top 4. Lakers currently at 14% but realistically could end up with 26% if they try. A sign and trade with the Lakers would be interesting. Would they package Lonzo Ball and their 1st for Kemba?

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:12 pm
by Crow
I can't see Lakers doing sign n trade for Kemba and giving up their first. Maybe sign n trade if they can attach Ingram and other salary ballast and not give up a first or not for awhile.

Kemba to Mavs has been mentioned by someone. I don't think it would be a good idea for Mavs if they want a title. Entertainment, pretension, luxury tax soon and for a long time? Sure, go for it. I'd go with Beverley or a good value plus 1 on RPM PG and / or draft another one. Doncic is the PG until they rethink that or find somebody he fits with like Barea.

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:22 am
by Crow
Sign n trades are pretty rare. I agree Hornets will probably consider. But I doubt they get a lot for it. Of course it depends how much they'd take back and how much cap space the acquiring team has.

He seems a little too old for really young teams. They'll say they want maturity & leadership but I don't know that he is special in that regard. Good teams generally are not going to have huge amounts to spend or make him the top target.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Hornets re-signing then wanting to trade him in a year or two is a too common scenario that seems pretty likely.

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:35 pm
by walker_harris3
Zach Lowe predicted today that Nic Batum won't be in Charlotte next season, especially if the Hornets keep Kemba Walker. So looks like a prediction that the Hornets will try and make a blockbuster for a "2nd option" for Kemba. Hard to see legitimate partners for that contract though, a lot depends on the direction new management in Nola & DC decides to take with Holiday & Beal. Cleveland still seems like the most obvious trade partner with Kevin Love.

Toronto could be interesting if Kawhi leaves. Gasol & Ibaka will be expiring contracts & Ujiri knows Kupchak pushed for Gasol at the deadline. Have to imagine Toronto would try and get value back for one of them en route to getting younger and building around Siakim. Siakim & Annuoby will be the only rotation forwards on the roster next season if Kawhi leaves, so depth at F is a big need in the interim.

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:15 pm
by Crow
Batum for...

Parsons (1 yr vs 2. Go for a second star next summer.)

Wiggins

Love (Cavs probably try to get more. Might not.)

JR Smith, T Thompson (or Knight or Clarkson) for Batum and draft consideration. No draft consideration, no deal

There may need to be some further balancing. For unlikely hypotheticals, I don"t have enough interest to do it.

I am not endorsing or rejecting these. They just seem the most likely. Beyond these, it would have be a much bigger multi piece deal.

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:55 am
by Crow
Heat to league: We got a lot of players available for trade.

League to Heat: We know.

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:56 pm
by Crow
I currently assume that the Pelicans are more likely to get less to far less than they want for Anthony Davis, particularly in terms of draft picks, than they want. I can see getting 2 firsts. I'd be surprised if it is 4. But may if they have to take bad filler.

I don't see Celtics making the huge offer often talked about with Davis signaling he doesn't want to be there, Irving probably leaving, etc.

Best chance for huge offer is probably Clippers.

Don't see it coming for Nets.

Turn up nose to Lakers' offers? Probably going to get offered less.

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:20 am
by Crow
Reported Lakers offer for Davis is weak. I assume the Pelicans want to reject it but where is better?

Davis doesn't want to go to Boston. Nets and Clippers not getting traction?

The Pels may keep him til trade deadline.

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:55 pm
by Crow

Re: Next big trade possibilities

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:08 am
by Crow
Could they trade Iggy? Would they want to?