2018-19 season commentary

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

Re: 2018-19 season commentary

Post by Crow » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:50 pm

My skeptical, prove it take: https://mobile.twitter.com/bballstrateg ... 967041?p=v

It looks like the Bucks GM search. Too cocky about going for greatness, lots of procedural show, too indecisive and then a rushed unimpressive cover up ending. It might work out but it doesn't appear to be anything special or elite.

Crow

Post by Crow » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:23 am

Wes Edens talking about Budenholzer's system: "I think that it’s had great success in the past and let’s hope it has great success here.”

It had great success for 1 regular season and moderate success in 1 playoffs. Outside of that, ok to not.

Outside of the strong season, the system averaged 22nd on offense, 10th on defense.

What are your thoughts and / or projections for Bucks under Bud?

eminence

Post by eminence » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure the Jazz are going 82-0 after what they did to Perth. But seriously it's nice to have some NBA basketball back. Liked that Grayson seemed to have the green light, need one of those guys other than Burks off the bench.

eminence

Post by eminence » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:59 pm

http://www.nba.com/gmsurvey/2018

2018 NBA GM survey is out, and as usual the final results look alright, but every year there's a couple votes in each category that really throw me for a loop (10% of GMs think Kyrie is the best PG in the league?).

Oh no, somebody voted KD best defensive player in the league :(

Crow

Post by Crow » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:04 pm

KD as best defender? Might have been team trying to recruit him. Knicks?

I thought the underrated signing category was by far the worst response set.

eminence

Post by eminence » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:20 pm

Crow wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:04 pm
KD as best defender? Might have been team trying to recruit him. Knicks?

I thought the underrated signing category was by far the worst response set.
That was a weird one, though I think it'd be tough to grade, as it depends on guessing what the average rating of an acquisition would be.

walker_harris3

Post by walker_harris3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Early observations from James Borrego:
-Way more Moreyball oriented than Clifford - 72.6% of shots thus far are Moreyball compared to 61.9% last season. Getting at or above 75% should be a goal. 3PA up by 5 to 32.7 attempts/game with corner 3 attempts up as well. Cody Zeller could have green light to shoot open pick&pop threes this season.

-Will only use small lineups - PF minutes look to be split between Williams/MKG/Bridges. Kaminsky has only been played at the 4 for probably <5 minutes. Even ran a garbage time lineup with Bridges at the 5 vs the Celtics. MKG looked really effective at PF with more spacing. Need more sample.

-Passing is a huge emphasis in practice w/good results so far. 24 assists/game so far up from the 21.6 assist avg last season. Also using a 12 second shot clock in practice. Predictably turnovers are up from increased pace/adjusting to new system. 15.3/game up from 12.7 last season. Borrego doesn't tolerate a player holding onto ball for entire possessions. Immediately called timeout and chewed out Malik Monk after he did.

-Backup center rotation will be good to monitor. Biyombo reserved for garbage time/locker room presence. Seems to prefer Hernangomez at backup despite serious rebounding and interior defense flaws that were even on display against Summer League competition. Hernangomez matchup with Aron Baynes in game 2 was disastrous, while Kaminsky's matchup w/Baynes in game 1 looked fine. Despite that he hasn't really played Kaminsky much outside of game 1 on account of his defense(???). Rebounding will be this team's biggest weakness, especially when MKG or Zeller miss time.

-Defensive scheme is close to switch everything, communication needs to be ironed out in defending pick&roll. Lots of open threes allowed on miscommunication. Could also be a large weakness of this team if not properly addressed.

-Starting lineup opening night barring injury will most likely be Kemba/Lamb/Batum/Williams/Zeller

Crow

Post by Crow » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Lot of analysis there. Has any media article on Hornets pre-season provided as much or anything beyond? I haven't looked but most tend to stick to overview reporting without much analysis.

Add on (not necessarily about this situation. a general observation): If a coach, GM or owner feels they are under too much scrutiny or any really at all, they can get defensive (or offensive). So many use caution, avoid too much risk. Others say what they think is fair analysis. Or more. Pick where you want to be.

walker_harris3

Post by walker_harris3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Not really, the only articles so far have just been about the position battles and Miles Bridges. There's several guys on twitter who post analysis and do a podcast called Buzz Beat Radio, but no articles so far. One of their guys Brian Geisinger puts good analysis on Twitter though. The beat writer for the Observer and fan sites as you said pretty much stick to overview reporting. Most of the fan site writers also aren't objective or credible either, especially regarding MKG and Frank Kaminsky.

Joseph Nation is a Hornets guy & writer for Nylon Calculus but only occasionally posts articles on the Hornets. Puts some analysis on reddit threads also. Jon Delong is going to be the Hornets writer for The Basketball Index, but he rarely posts about the Hornets as well. Lots of Panthers analysis though.

I'll probably write up an article on the major observations next weekend to get the full Preseason sample.

Crow

Post by Crow » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Thanks for the run down. I'll probably check in on them some. How much depends on how compelling the story gets. Some reason for optimism about the Hornets based on what you said, maybe more than I thought a few weeks ago.

Everyone chips in as they wish. Your angles / opinions add to the Hornets coverage, where other fans go and here.

eminence

Post by eminence » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Very strange timing by the Suns imo.

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:55 pm

I guess Sarver had some issues with McDonough. Finally. A number of teams have gone with internal hires / divided power / presumably weaker GMs to allow more owner control. More and more owners feeling like they know as well or better what they want.

What kind of front office will they have next season?

walker_harris3

Post by walker_harris3 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:55 am

Miles Bridges preseason shooting is unsustainable and subject to regression, but his shot distribution is perfect. Took 45 shots, 71.1% of them were at the rim or from 3. He shot 65.6% on those 32 shots, 14/18 at the rim, 7/14 from three.

65% of Jayson Tatum's shots last season were at the rim or from 3, 64.4% of Donovan Mitchell's shots last season were at the rim or from 3, and 72.7% of Kyle Kuzma's shots last season were at the rim or from 3. Too soon to determine how Bridges compares to them, but if he maintains his current shot selection and gets minutes, he has a damn good chance to be All-Rookie and be considered the steal of the draft.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:05 am

I liked Mikal better. If they hadn't shared the same last name, maybe I would have had a more open minded view, better opinion.

Crow

Post by Crow » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:10 am

Beyond new management and ownership and a new coach, what to do with the Bulls? I'd trade or drop almost everybody but Carter and Markkanen. GMs usually don't do much before February, so give LaVine, Dunn, Parker some time to try to improve their trade value; but I'd be surprised if any of them would convince me that keeping them is a good idea. Dunn, LaVine, Portis, Markkanen sucked as a quad last season (albeit in light testing). Unless they get much better (in more testing), Dunn and LaVine should go. Portis, probably. If can't fit in a good starting lineup, don't pay him as anything but a reserve. Try one more time with Valentine, but unlikely to be a keeper.