Post draft reactions

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

Post draft reactions

Post by Crow » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:01 pm

If Bagley struggles, will that be the straw that breaks Vlade? Was Kings Analytics leading the way for Bagley over alternatives or were they bit players in decision?

Bamba to Magic. Who will be doing his on court player development? Different from Biyombo? What will Clifford do on lineups, minutes, position, defensive scheme, offensive role, etc.?

Is Kevin Knox a tough guy? Can Fizdale make him one? Too "pretty"? Test for their judgment and development power.

How much will Mikal Bridges play SG?

Smith for Bridges. Philly ok with where they are on team efg%? Shamet might help IF they find him minutes.

How much use & usage will DiVencenzo get right away? Good pick, meh or bad?

Lakers picks? Meh is my first reaction. Same for Spurs.

Dr Positivity

Re: Post draft reactions

Post by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Winners:

Mavs - Doncic has the plausible upside to be one of the best players of all time, possible true franchise changing night for them
Nets - I had Musa in my top 10, his production for Adriatic league at 18 (best statistical player on his team), a much higher level than NCAA, was highly impressive. I think they got a better prospect than the other New York team
Timberwolves - Okogie has great 3/D and switchable potential, and it's not like he wasn't a scorer or passer in college. Replacing Wiggins with him is a great step forward
Celtics - Unless his intangibles are that bad, Williams has too high a probability of becoming a rim runner starting center to fall that far

Losers
Kings - they passed on Doncic for a weak defending big man who scores only at the basket in Bagley. They're building a really modern team between that and their non shooting PG Fox
Knicks - This pick reminds me of James Young who had meh athlete and advanced stats, but was one of the youngest players in the draft and scored points for Kentucky so he snuck his way into draft hype. And even if he becomes a Tobias Harris type combo forward, is that really getting the Knicks anywhere?
Cavaliers - Mediocre stats and shooting for Sexton, they can do better. Most likely really bad as a rookie so if Cavs lose LBJ, trade Love and bottom out at least he will be great tank commander

Mixed bag:
Suns - Ayton over Doncic and giving up future MIA 1st to move up 6 spots is miserable, even if Bridges is a solid prospect. But Okobo was a huge steal in my books.
Hawks - Gave up Doncic but can do worse than wanting to be the Warriors with Trae, Huerter, Spellman picks and getting a valuable future pick

Crow

Post by Crow » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:13 pm

Blazer's draft seems very distant future oriented. The opposite of what Lillard wants / needs. Looks pretty weak imo too.

Kings, at least 7 bigs, depending on how you count. At least probably should be PFs.

Nets, glut of SFs.

Bucks needed a front court player, took another guard.

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Super high scoring volume, in particular from the free throw line, is a positive sign for Sexton. He's been a foul drawing machine at every level he's played at so far, and that's typically the mark of a dangerous scorer at the NBA level. Every other aspect of his game seems mediocre or worse, though, so will be a major uphill battle for him to become a complete player and a bona-fide star.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:10 pm

Probably gets to "star' level points. With big role, assists will likely at least be decent. RPM? I dunno. Probably starts weak. Might get to decent with time.

bchaikin

Post by bchaikin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:27 pm

He's been a foul drawing machine at every level he's played at so far, and that's typically the mark of a dangerous scorer at the NBA level

what difference is there between sexton and say jerryd bayless? both 1 year in school, drew fouls at high rates, similar high scoring for freshman, similar assists, sexton the better rebounder, bayless the better overall shooter (3s and FTs) and less fouls committed...

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 pm

bchaikin wrote:He's been a foul drawing machine at every level he's played at so far, and that's typically the mark of a dangerous scorer at the NBA level

what difference is there between sexton and say jerryd bayless? both 1 year in school, drew fouls at high rates, similar high scoring for freshman, similar assists, sexton the better rebounder, bayless the better overall shooter (3s and FTs) and less fouls committed...
Obviously Bayless underachieved dramatically in the NBA, but if I recall correctly, he was considered a very solid pick at 11 in that draft. If Sexton is more or less equal to Bayless as a prospect, then 8 seems like a reasonable landing spot...right? As a Cavs fan I'm not a huge fan of the pick, but I don't think it's a crazy reach like some are making it out to be.