Shining guys up for trades

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

Shining guys up for trades

Post by Crow » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:20 am

Can anyone think of teams that have done better than average at shining guys up for trades? This is different than general improvement or timely trades of guys of a certain value for a good deal (especially before big paydays, age regression or undue redundancy).

I am talking about special attention to accentuate the positives or reduce / hide negatives with a pretty explicit intention to then trade him.

I can't immediately think of a team that specializes in this. In fact, I'd say most teams underdo this significantly. They might shine but they don't shine n trade. But let me know If you think some team is above the others at this.

Dr Positivity

Re: Shining guys up for trades

Post by Dr Positivity » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Hinkie might have tried this with the Sixers fast pace at the time. I almost feel like MCW's ROY was by design taking an older player who would have the ball all game. But he didn't cash out early enough on him. Maybe ownership got in the way?

Crow

Re: Shining guys up for trades

Post by Crow » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:47 am

Ownership may have part of it. But it was his guy too. I seem to recall folks saying he wanted too much for him for too long.

Lakers kinda tried to shine up D Russell. Might end up saying with Ingram. But despite the roles & minutes they are both overrated. Russell worse player but Ingram maybe more overrated. Should have traded Randle. He was shined up then lost for space used by Stephenson, Beasley.

I guess you could say Jerry West did a shine job on Blake Griffin.

Various folks have shined up Tyson Chandler.

Galinari needs a shine job. Winslow. S Johnson. MKG, D Russell again, Wiggins. Bazemore. J Simmons. J Issac.

Some guys probably can't be shined up a lot but maybe still try- Parsons. M. Leonard. T. Thompson.

Bagley, T Young will need all the shining they can get.