From skill grades to adjusted skill factors

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

From skill grades to adjusted skill factors

Post by Crow » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:48 am

Crow

Re: From skill grades to adjusted skill factors

Post by Crow » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:58 am

I see this as a logical, very important project to advance deep understanding of players. Grasping a bit for approach, conceptually and in the details but put out the basic idea. No one else agree on importance or have a refined approach?

Maybe nobody bothered to check the link / read the tweets. Oh well.

Rd11490

Post by Rd11490 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:47 am

It is an interesting project idea, I'm just not sure all of the data required easily is available, especially in the public space. I know I could do the work to add coaches to the regularized four factors data, but the skill grades aren't public yet, and I'm not sure if those guys will just be giving them away. Play types would have to come from synergy, also behind a pay wall (and I'm not sure how easy you can scrape) and I have no idea if they are at a play by play level or just aggregates. Then on top of that you need play identification data, which would require either manual charting or position level data that I know is not public.

The sad truth is that we are starting to reach a plateau of public facing research due to the limitations and lack of public data.

Crow

Post by Crow » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:12 am

Fair points. But some folks with the skills and plans to present at Sloan or publish in academic journals do get data access from private companies from time to time. I guess we'll see what the Basketball Index shares on Monday (grades only or background data?).