New Site - CraftedNBA

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
dtkavana

New Site - CraftedNBA

Post by dtkavana » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Hello Everybody,

I wanted to share a new site that I have built and think that you might find useful/fun to play around with.

http://craftednba.com

The site is designed to allow users to compare players across many of the plus-minus metrics in the same place. I have data from Jacob Goldstein's PIPM, ESPN's RPM, FiveThirtyEight's CARMELO, as well as much of the stuff from Basketball-Reference all in the same place.

I initially set out to make this as a google sheet, but decided it would better suit my personal purposes if it were on the web. I think that the sections people will find most useful/fun are the Team Pages (specifically the Individual Lineups with their projected plus minus) and the Category pages.

I would love to hear from you all about which features you enjoy, what you think is missing, any ideas you would like to see implemented, etc.

Thank you,

Daniel

sndesai1

Re: New Site - CraftedNBA

Post by sndesai1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:21 am

nice work

might be cool to create custom blends

on team pages, i find the player pictures not too useful and the huge amount of padding on the player rows makes it hard to see much at once. it would be nice to see at least 10 player's stats without scrolling

dtkavana

Post by dtkavana » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks sndesai1,

I think you are right about the team pages and will implement those suggested changes.

Did you find the site to have a long learning curve, or did you find it pretty straightforward? It's hard for me to think about what a first time user would think.

Crow

Post by Crow » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm

It wasn't obvious to me to click on the player card to see the stats on his page. I did it the second visit but went away unclear the first time. Might add a note on how to proceed.

dtkavana

Post by dtkavana » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks Crow,

Were you visiting from a mobile device?

Crow

Post by Crow » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:40 pm

The first time yes. Second, no. I don't think I even saw a card the first time. The second time, clicking the card was my final thought.

Plan daily, weekly or occasional updates? Will the 17-18 data still be there? I hope so.

Maybe I am easily confused but I wondered about the hyphen before the blend formula til I figured it was just a hyphen before the formula and not a minus sign.

Simple even blend is worth something. Might suggest a differently weights blend latter.

Will explore team pages more in future.

dtkavana

Post by dtkavana » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Great stuff Crow,

I agree about the hyphen. looking at that now, it is confusing.
As for the player cards, I will make the entire card clickable, as opposed to just the player's name and will make the fact that it is a link more apparent on mobile.

Updates Plan:
When looking at the Single Player Page:
  • The "Traditional Stats" will update daily (will wait until about 10 games into the season though).
  • The "Advanced Stats" will update Monday mornings - around 9am est.
  • The "Plus Minus Stats" -> not totally sure on these yet, but will probably not update these until about 20 games into the season (I believe this is usually when ESPN drops their first RPM of the year).
A few of the Category Pages use stats from the NBA website tracking data and these will also update on Monday mornings, but will probably wait until about 20 games to update these as well.

As for the ComboPlusMinus - I was really waiting on ESPN to drop their Multi Year RPM before making the formula, but decided to just go ahead without it for now (it did release this week). I will add that to the formula and tinker with it in the next few days.

Crow

Post by Crow » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Sounds good.