Opponent-adjusted pace?

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
RyanRiot

Opponent-adjusted pace?

Post by RyanRiot » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:35 pm

Are there any publicly available opponent-adjusted pace/tempo stats available for the NBA? Everywhere I've looked seems to only have raw pace numbers. I know for NCAA Kenpom has AdjT, but I haven't found anything similar for the NBA.

nbacouchside

Re: Opponent-adjusted pace?

Post by nbacouchside » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:10 pm

RyanRiot wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:35 pm
Are there any publicly available opponent-adjusted pace/tempo stats available for the NBA? Everywhere I've looked seems to only have raw pace numbers. I know for NCAA Kenpom has AdjT, but I haven't found anything similar for the NBA.
This would be very useful.

RyanRiot

Post by RyanRiot » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:23 pm

I have an idea for a straightforward implementation of this based on Sports-Reference's Simple Rating System, but I can't seem to get it to calculate correctly.

sndesai1

Post by sndesai1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:25 am

isn't the easiest approach to use the 2 teams playing as the predictors and the # of possessions as the dependent and then just do a basic linear regression?

it would definitely be nice to have, but the gap between pace and opp-adj pace should be significantly less than it is for college

Crow

Post by Crow » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:04 am

kmedved

Post by kmedved » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:00 pm

As mentioned in that twitter post, I publish this (and update it daily) at the following Google docs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

I basically just use the same method as SRS to do the calculations. All pace data is from Basketball-reference, so it's not True Pace, but close enough. I've run this for every day of the season for every year since 2001, so let me know if you need any particular cut (I'm more responsive to @kmedved on Twitter).

I will be adding opponent adjusted four factors data to that sheet as well, hopefully in the next week or so.