Options with the Wizards

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

Options with the Wizards

Post by Crow » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:49 am

The owner could sell, fire GM, fire coach, trade Wall, trade almost everybody but Wall or trade everybody.

Probably should sell.

Firing coach would be the traditional first step. Who to hire? Blatt, Pitino, Skiles, Messina... I dunno. I'd see if you could get one of these guys and on a shorter than normal deal. Have options and / or incentives & extension triggers.

I doubt coaching change will be enough, but try it. It probably isn't going to fix itself.

There are few I'd want to keep. Probably Beal, Porter, maybe Satoransky. Move everybody else as able. Try that.

Dr Positivity

Re: Options with the Wizards

Post by Dr Positivity » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:52 pm

After 15 years of Ernie Grunfeld you know what you're getting, keeping him is just committing to mediocrity

Crow

Post by Crow » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:28 am

It does seem odd that the owner has been satisfied with the status quo re: Grunfield for so long. I have to think that will likely end within 2 years. But we'll see.

I guess if the franchise is appreciating at perhaps $50-100 million per year you don't have to get upset unless you want to.

Dr Positivity

Post by Dr Positivity » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:16 pm

I've seen some Wizards fans claim he has a personal friendship with Ted Leonsis, and Abe Pollin was also high on the positive and communicative environment he brought. Kind of the reverse Sam Hinkie where the basketball strategy isn't there, but has much better people skills

Crow

Post by Crow » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:18 am

It depends what the standards are. Grunfeld has had winning records for 60% of his seasons with Wizards. Just more than half the time getting in playoffs and making second round on 50% of those chances. Last season was his best.

He has made mistakes. Some of which many to nearly all GMs would have made. Fan potential reaction / influence can be a restraint or negative. Did he have to give Wall that deal? I wouldn't have but from a business perspective (ticket sales, fan relations) it might have made sense or at least more sense. Matching on Porter, most would have. I didn't care enough to have an opinion on that at the time.

Reviewing his GM history with previous team and Wizards quickly, I "liked" about 1 move per year, maybe a bit more. The rest I feel indifferent or not impressed by.

I will note that he has a history full on multi-team deals. I am not sure if he was a net winner or loser across them. Most probably didn't accomplish much. But we might see another such deal.