Statistics Learning

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
josecarlos

Statistics Learning

Post by josecarlos » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:18 am

Hi all!!!

I have studied statistics so many years ago and ... right now I remember a few concepts, so I would like to learn again the basics of statistics and then to be able to learn machine learning, etc. So, do you know any good course or book or resources from where to learn the basics from statistics?

Thanks in advance!!!

José Carlos

Snedecor

Re: Statistics Learning

Post by Snedecor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi,

First of all you need to made a difference between "Statistics" and "machine learning" because are not the same.

There are a lot of books or resources but I could try coursera, edx or other MOOC.

Hope it helps

Kind regards

josecarlos

Post by josecarlos » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:08 pm

Snedecor wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:08 pm
Hi,

First of all you need to made a difference between "Statistics" and "machine learning" because are not the same.

There are a lot of books or resources but I could try coursera, edx or other MOOC.

Hope it helps

Kind regards
Thank you for the information!!!

What's the difference between statistics and machine learning?

xkonk

Post by xkonk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:27 am

josecarlos wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:08 pm
Snedecor wrote:
Hi,

Hope it helps

Kind regards

The proper distinction is that statistics and machine learning are not always the same. A fair number of neural networks, which I think most people would consider machine learning, are identical to regressions, which I think most people would consider statistics. But if you took a basic stats book and a basic machine learning book I agree that they would likely be very different.

josecarlos

Post by josecarlos » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:53 pm

xkonk wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:27 am
josecarlos wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:08 pm
Snedecor wrote:
Hi,

Hope it helps

Kind regards

The proper distinction is that statistics and machine learning are not always the same. A fair number of neural networks, which I think most people would consider machine learning, are identical to regressions, which I think most people would consider statistics. But if you took a basic stats book and a basic machine learning book I agree that they would likely be very different.
Ok!!!! Thank you for the info!!!