Podcasts

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
shock3

Podcasts

Post by shock3 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:07 am

Are there any podcasts that dive deep into analytics? My go-to is Dunc'd On, but that isn't too heavy on stats. Also, are there any good draft podcasts throughout the season? I've listened to a few like Hardwood Homies and can't get on board. Thanks for any suggestions!

bondom343

Re: Podcasts

Post by bondom343 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:03 pm

For the draft Game Theory with Sam Vecenie covers it a bit, as does What's on Draft? (though the latter hasn't done one in over 6 months for TuneIn so I don't know if they still make it). I'm not sure on any analytics one's other than I believe Ben Taylor has a podcast I haven't listened to yet (@elgee35 on twitter). I'd guess it does.

Crow

Post by Crow » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:08 am

The couple times a year that Kevin Pelton goes on Locked on NBA are worth checking.

I listened to one early Ben Taylor podcast. It was pretty basic. But haven't checked since.

Generally stay away from the big podcasts and "major" media is you looking for analytic depth involving numbers and numbers analysis. here might be serious discussion of talent, strategies, etc, but not heavily dependent on the numbers.

Was this any good? I dunno. I stopped checking 538 long ago. One or two rticles a week wasn't enough coverage to make it a regular stop. https://fivethirtyeight.com/tag/the-lab/

It might be more likely to find good one offs than a great series. Is this any good? http://www.basketballinsiders.com/podca ... -playoffs/ Maybe listen and tell us.

Stumbled on these: https://tunein.com/podcasts/Sports--Rec ... =128387611 https://tunein.com/podcasts/Sports--Rec ... =127066021

https://anchor.fm/john-janssen Coaches nd analytics

There are from more good ones hidden in the weeds. Could make a good project / article to find them. Team specific ones. Nylon Calculus had or has one or more. The Ringer NBA. Sixers Science. Pods with Jacob Goldstein, Cranjis McBasketball. I am probably forgetting some, especially no longer active ones.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 pm

What topics do people want to hear covered on an analytics podcast?

Lineup analysis. Methods. Specific teams. Lineup matchup analysis. League trends.

Non Moreyball by prominent teams.

Sophomore slump of Donovan Mitchell. Other cases and outcomes. Which outcome seems more likely?

Are there statistical clues for when teams trade or should trade?

The next coaches to be fired.

The GMs that should be fired.

Encourage / allow floater game or have better rules on when to pass or try to finish?

Has Kawhi lost his defensive game?

Bench players with the talent to start and who should be elevated?

Best and worst coaches with 3 or less seasons experience? What are they doing well and poorly?

Players who have shifted most into Moreyball tho season vs. last season?

Most improved? Biggest declines?

What teams in the middle should do.

Team in bottom 10-15 that looks like it is headed to most improvement with 2 years?

Worst & best signings of last off-season?

Best G league prospects.

Best of the likely buyouts and where they want to go.

Playoff seed matchups and strategic maneuvering.

Performance against best teams and how much weight to give it.

Toughest and easiest remaining schedules.

Teams with the biggest efg% or efg% improvements and declines and how they happened. And for overall offense or defense.

Players with the biggest variation in major metric estimates and where you think the overall estimate should be. The value of combined plus minus at craftednba.

Upcoming free agents,who appears to have increased or decreased their price tag the most.

Player types that should get more or less priority in the draft.

Playoff success of wing & big man creators compared to regular season and pg centric teams.

Which of these interest you? What else?

shock3

Post by shock3 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:52 am

Crow wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 pm
What topics do people want to hear covered on an analytics podcast?

Lineup analysis. Methods. Specific teams. Lineup matchup analysis. League trends.

Sophomore slump of Donovan Mitchell. Other cases and outcomes. Which outcome seems more likely?

Are there statistical clues for when teams trade or should trade?

The GMs that should be fired.

Encourage / allow floater game or have better rules on when to pass or try to finish?

Most improved? Biggest declines?

What teams in the middle should do.

Team in bottom 10-15 that looks like it is headed to most improvement with 2 years?

Best G league prospects.

Players with the biggest variation in major metric estimates and where you think the overall estimate should be. The value of combined plus minus at craftednba.

Player types that should get more or less priority in the draft.

Playoff success of wing & big man creators compared to regular season and pg centric teams.

Which of these interest you? What else?
Thanks for the replies.

I left the ones that interested me the most. I think overall, I want in-depth breakdowns of draft prospects and projection and progress analysis of young (first three years) NBA players.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:35 am

Mitchell has come on very strong recently. Not sure if it is because of health, strategy changes or just random swings. Anybody got an informed perspective to share?

The GMs in most immediate danger are probably Layden, Demps and Wallace. Others should be but probably aren't, yet.

The Kings are probably best choice of a bottom half team that will improve most in next 2 years, besides the Lakers. The Kings are not a sure thing but there really isn't much strong competition for this. The coach / front office dynamic could become a bigger issue in the long run. Lots of roster / spending choices to make. One year wonders sometimes fall back.

Player types that should get more priority in draft? PGs who can defend above average, own man and switching. 6-7 to 6-9 guys with handle & passing? 6-10 plus guys under 240 pounds with quickness & smarts? And toughness and selfishness. What else?