Analyzing the Nets

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

Analyzing the Nets

Post by Crow » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:48 pm

This article https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/07/nets-k ... ving-moves says the Nets did 9 major things right to set up the acquistions of Durant and Irving.

These moves amount to good work, but what else could be said?

Harris, LaVert and Allen are all near neutral on RPM. Dinwiddie is a level below that.

Harris and Dinwiddie were awful in this past playoffs.

You could argue that it was regrettable or flat bad decisions to let Ed Davis and Napier go.

What else did they do or not do that wasn't helpful? Signed Musa in 1st round.

They made the playoffs in a pretty weak east. That was key to their recruiting pitch but it isn't that strong a base.

The offense should improve but the defense may slip.

Are they going to be willing to pay what it takes to eventually re-sign LaVert, Allen?

I don't know them well but a case could be made that Dinwiddie, Harris and LaVert have leveled off already. Allen still improving but how far?

Atkinson is good coach but is he better than that?

Irving was great in first 2 playoffs, then down to good and then down to meh or probably worse. What's next?

I assume Durant gets back to close to what he was, but no guarantees he does or stays healthy.

What do people expect from them? Title(s)? Conference finals appearances? Even the latter is not guaranteed next year or ever. It will be a fight for that or beyond.

Crow

Re: Analyzing the Nets

Post by Crow » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:42 am

They were 6th seed last season.

Probably 3-6th seed this season. I'd guess more likely 5th or 6th than 3rd or 4th.

Crow

Re: Analyzing the Nets

Post by Crow » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:00 am

Prince, Chandler, Jordan strike be as ok or meh adds. That and the existing ok to meh may be enough when Durant joins Irving but not enough til then.