DeanO's new gig

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
rlee

DeanO's new gig

Post by rlee » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:24 pm

rlee

Re: DeanO's new gig

Post by rlee » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Crow

Re: DeanO's new gig

Post by Crow » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:54 pm

Analyst on the bench could be valuable if have a strong memory of stats in situations and both the right to talk and the ability to talk short, fast and strong. And preferably early, preemptive.

Analyst in practice and hanging around could help try to persuade players to Moreyball. Wizards are ok, maybe a little better than average on Moreyball with no clear weaknesses in the 3 elements. So moving toward good or elite won't be particularly fast or easy but it isn't a case of total ignorance or resistance either.

Analyst in coaching meetings could help with lineup choices, eval & refinement of play book and usage tendencies. With so many roster changes, they'll have to guess for first month or two but guess with design and with careful monitoring & change as appropriate.

Biggest needs are shot defense, improved rebounding and less fouling of shooters. They are about average of 3 ptas allowed but were lousy on 3pt fg% allowed. How much was bad luck over bad or poor effort guarding? Room for analytic input there probably.

Beal - Bryant had horrendous opponent offensive rating. Fixable? I'd lean no, but of course try some. But I'd try other things with the new bigs hard too. Rui at center? I am asking, not saying. Rui and Bertans? Find out early how they fit and don't and manage from there. Probably not going to work but then you either go to Bertans - Rui platooning at PF, playing one at SF or eventually trade one. Very little stat data on Betrans at SF but maybe you can pull up some video evidence.

The rebounding issue is a frontline issue and includes Bryant. Green at PF was a huge issue on match-up rebounding (but mixed messages on RAPM factors), now gone. Bertans is about half as bad on match-up rebounding and RAPM. Still an issue. May need to find a great perimeter rebounder. Troy Brown looks pretty good is this respect. Schofield will probably help too. How good can Rui rebound without being out there with Brandon Clarke? I dunno. Does his position matter on this?I dunno. Find out.

But Bertans had great overall impact estimates on RPM, RAPM, and even more on Luck Adjusted RAPM. New context has no guarantee of translation... so try to reproduce the part of the Spurs context where he generated these estimates. Here is a great case for using RAPM factors, subfactors and splits. Will they? How much? Playing him big seems worth trying but playing him and very smart would be better.

Fouling less, usually thought of as a coaching fix but maybe player tracking info could improve targeting.

Play faster was already the trend last season and probably right. But there might need to be more than just one pace strategy, depending on opponent type, part of game, starters / bench, ahead / behind, home /away, schedule, etc.